Noodle Rod Question

• Bassn Dan

What weight jig/lure should make a decent amount of bend in a panfishing noodle rod’s tip?

I’m building a 26″ MHX “Power Noodle” rod extended to 32 inches. Mocking up the rod to set the guide placement it takes at least a 1/16 oz. spoon to get the tip to bend enough for it to be able to detect “up bites.” Looks like the blank needs a little sanding to tune the action, but I need some input for how much.

Thanks.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I have built many ice rods. The only way I knew how to “tune” a blank was to trim off the top of the blank to the desired action. Is sanding the blank something new that I haven’t heard about? Always open to new ideas

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I like a 4mm Tungsten to put a little bend in a stiffer noodle. For a lightweight noodle most teardrops on a size 14 hook.

Bassn Dan

Thanks Frenchman. A size 8 teardrop barely moves the tip on this blank so looks like I’ll be sanding it.

Puddlepounder: Here’s how a friend that I met on a rod building site sands his ice rod blanks (this is ONLY for solid blanks – not tubular blanks.)

“I work very carefully and slowly on the first blank to get the taper to be exactly what I want. Continually use the caliper to check, and recheck the diameter of each station on the blank.

Then, I just make a line on a piece of cardboard, making note of the diameter at each station on the blank. Then, for the ensuing blanks that I wish to have the same action, it is simple to chuck the blank into the chuck, start the lathe spinning and sand as needed until the blank is where you want it to be. I keep a wet cloth handy to be able to cool the blank from time to time to avoid over heating the blank.”

Alex Nemetz

Where is the best place to buy ice rod building supplies

Kent Tau

Not sure if I’m supposed to say this but i get my stuff from mudhole. Seems everyone uses the prowrap and flexcoat stuff. Prices are very close to local shops so I recommend buying local if you can find it. I use DH custom blanks because they are more affordable.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.