No more Asian Carp in Illinois!!!

• stevenoak

The state of Illinois has renamed Asian Carp. From now on they will be called “Copi”. A play on the fact there are copious amounts of them. My first thought was it was a socially correct thing. Relieved to see it wasn’t. The thought is it will be more attractive to consumers in restaurants and markets. But it’s the same folks that hope Unicorns are going to s#*t electricity for cars.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Next they will be put on the protective species list.

blackbay

Next they will be put on the protective species list.

No next they will be given the right to vote.

27eyeguy

Are we sure they didn’t vote last time? Might explain all the fishieness going on nowadays. smirk

Iowaboy1

Uhm,,, reply refrained….

Iowaboy1

Uhm,,, reply refrained….

Well, ya know me, PC,,,, thee delusional belief you can pick up a piece of sh!t by the clean end.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Are we sure they didn’t vote last time? Might explain all the fishieness going on nowadays. smirk

As we say in IL, vote early, and vote often,,,

HRG

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

How do these carp taste? I could care less about the name of the animal I’m eating. (it’s all good with some fava beans and a nice Chianti) LOL D

gary d
    cordova,il

How do these carp taste?

I watch a piece on tv and they said that a filet was boney but the best way was to grind filets with seasoning. They said that it had a mild taste.

Im glad the carp goes up the Illinois river more then Mississippi. We don’t
    need them in your back waters.

stevenoak

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>27eyeguy wrote:</div>

As we say in IL, vote early, and vote often,,,

HRG

Or.. “It’s not who votes, it’s who counts the votes.

Illinois state fair has competitions on the best recipe. Guess the flesh is a lot milder and whiter than other carp. They claim it can be made to taste pretty good. The old recipe to cook it on a board, then throw the fish away and eat the board comes to mind.
    My old neighbor had a camper in the Mississippi in PDC. They used to have big Drum fish frys in the spring when the water was cold. Said they were good as crappie. I can still taste the last Drum I tried over 50 years ago. A bit like a fishy piece of metal. But you could almost walk on the water behind the factories back then.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

First time it 2 months a rely went through on the first try. And I was in the wrong topic. is there still a way to delete?

Most threads get derailed anyway, just consider your pics a “community service”. grin

Deuces

Farm raised catfish tastes like garbage imo so these can’t be much worse than those, and there’s a good demographic who eat that stuff up.

I haven’t seen the numbers but I’ve been told america exports a crapton of carp overseas for consumption, gotta imagine how dirty their water systems are with lack of EPA in many 2nd and 3rd world countries. America carp is top shelf many places.

404 ERROR
    MN

First time it 2 months a rely went through on the first try. And I was in the wrong topic. is there still a way to delete?

That’s a weird lookin’ asian carp…But I suppose I wouldn’t be mad if they came further up the Mississippi looking like that!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I thought the main thing they did with Asian Carp was grind it up for dog food. My dogs will eat about anything no matter what I call it. Looks like Stevenoak lab will not. (even though that pic was attended for a different thread) Anything that can be done to help remove them from our water ways is a good thing.

stevenoak

Last year fishermen removed over 20,000# of Asian carp from the Illinois river in one day. They use them for animal food supplements, and byproducts for fertilizer. The flesh of the fish is actually supposed to be pretty good. Unlike their US cousins, that grub in the muddy bottom. Asians are algae filter feeders. The flesh is whiter and sweeter than other carp. But dealing with the bones seem to be the biggest hurdle. Like most Labs mine will eat stuff that would make you vomit. Even though my wife pays more attention to what she feeds him, than what she feeds me. Pic above was meant for “dogs of IDO”. Don’t know how to remove it.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Asian carp are a real problem not just for the waterways in Illinois but for all the other ones they threaten. Im glad to see someone is making an effort to rebrand the fish so that it can be useful as a resource. If they can find a way to turn a profit harvesting carp and making it table fair or compost that would be a way to generate revenue and reduce the population. Isnt this something we can all get behind without turning it into something political? If you have a better idea for how to get rid of em heres the number to the Illinois DNR 217-782-6302. Im sure they would love to hear from you

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It’s so terrific how there’s a vast government conspiracy hiding behind every signpost these days. coffee

States that have waterways infested with Asian carp came to the conclusion years ago that the only financially feasible way to reduce or control the populations is to develop a commercial demand and market for these species. If commercial fishing is viable, you have at least someone who is willing to fish the carp on their own dime.

But to have viable commercial fishing of a species, you have to have a market for it. Carp have a major image problem in that regard, they are seen as a fish that suck up toxic crap from the bottom of slimy, muddy rivers. Yeah, gimme some of that… But the carp in question are NOT actually bottom feeders, etc…

BTW this “rebranding” of a species to improve consumer appeal is not some new, wacky government-sponsored idea. It’s a well-traveled road and it’s been done dozens of times. I wonder how many of you conspiracy theorists out there have ordered “snow crab” without realizing there is no such species and you were being easily manipulated by….marketing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I had common carp and silver carp smoked.
    I don’t care for common carp, but Silver (the jumpers) are fantastic!

I’ve had Silver many time since I first posted it here on IDO and still believe that it would be sold at McDonalds if it wasn’t for two things.

1. The name
    2. The bones (picking at the bone is normal for eating all smoked fish)

I feel it’s as good as any smoked trout.

I’ve had Silverburgers once as well. Not so much of a fan of the ground Asian carp. I think Schafer’s stopped making it once the prison’s wouldn’t take it…no sure about that.

Shipping out of
    Schafer Fisheries, Inc. is expensive, but I have a couple friends that will pick some up for me when they come through. They don’t have it in stock all the time, once they run out it will be a few days before they can catch and finish smoking them.

Schafer Fisheries, Inc.
    21985 Waller Rd, Fulton, IL 61252
    (815) 589-3368

I’ve had a number of people try it. No one (except the FW) said they didn’t like it. Some said they could take it or leave it. I think that’s mostly because of the name.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

PS you’ll have to ask for it.

Smoked Shovelnose Sturgeon isn’t bad either and it’s on sale for $14.00. waytogo

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I once ran into a carping outfit at the Lions Levee landing in Saint Paul. They were bring carp into the landing in a really BIG looking Jon boat. They had a Tanker truck at the landing ready to load the Carp into. I talked to one of the Guys. If I remember correctly he said they were taking 100,000 Lbs of carp out of the river each day. He said they could take far more if they had more tanker Trucks. I asked him what they did with the Carp. He said ship them out East. He says the people out there love eating them. Where out East was, I have no idea. They even had a Conveyor system to get them from the boat into the tanker truck. Was a cool setup for sure.

stevenoak

It’s so terrific how there’s a vast government conspiracy hiding behind every signpost these days. coffee

Sorry I came across as pushing a government conspiracy. Maybe it’s my foil hat. But I only mentioned a government agency, because Illinois is the one doing it. Missouri refused to go along. The propaganda I pushed on was from the Illinois DNR website. if my intention was to discredit them, I would have pointed out they allotted $600,000 for the renaming. The only reason I posted it was it’s been awful quite hear lately, and I thought it was interesting. With spending most of this summer helping a friend thu the 15 preparation visits for brain surgery at an out-of-town hospital. I have read about fishing more than actually fishing.
    There’s a show The Fish Monger, that a lot of what they do is show how to prepare fish or parts of fish previously not eaten. With overfishing and regulations. Half the fish at saltwater seafood markets. You couldn’t give away 20 years ago.
    I had a neighbor that commercial fished till he was almost 80. All he did his whole life. I remember him saying the carp he caught went to Chicago. Because they could keep them alive with little effort. If I recall correctly. it may have been for a Jewish market. Because the fish had to be killed by their butcher.
    I don’t know how to forward links but:

Attachments:
    1. 20220627_1330578660-scaled.jpg

wkw

In the “70s, Stollers in Spirit Lake, Iowa would net carp and buffalo out of Spirit Lake, can it in tomato juice so it turned pink, and market out east as “Spirit Lake Salmon” My wife’s Gramma canned carp in fruit jars in tomato juice also. It was pretty good.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

This was a great video when it came out! Also watch part 2! These guys atleast tried to make lemonade out of the Asian Carp Lemons! toast jester

gary d
    cordova,il

At first there was a joke going around to call the new name.
    Pritzker’s Perch. In local newspapers were not to kind with the idea, nor the governor.

stevenoak

I found a 2-year-old Alumacraft with 10 hours on it a few years ago in Peoria Il. on Craigs list. We did the test drive on the Illinois River in Peoria, before I bought it. The main channel wasn’t horrible. But the boat ramp was in a big shallow bay. It was like being in a pan of popcorn. Not sure if there were more in shallow water, or the spooked worse. Imagine bad and take it several times that. Good news. As the zebra mussels clear up the water. They are depleting the Asian carps food.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.