No auto-bilge in MX series boats? Why not?

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I used to own a 2003 ZX225 that had an auto-bilge, it was nice in that it saved a few trips out in a rain storm not having to turn the bilge on for 30 seconds…I guess I never noticed until now (my boat had a ton of water sitting in it last weekend, it took about 45 seconds of running time to empty it) that my 2013 MX1825 doesn’t seem to have an auto-bilge in it (it has 2 pumps). Seems like at least one auto-bilge should be a no-brainer in a boat? am I missing something? I suppose it’s possible that the auto feature went out and now only manually operating it works?

I now see this listed under the 2018 MX1825 Standard options, was this not standard back in 2013?:

“Auto or Manual 800 GPH Bilge Pump & Manual 1500 GPH Bilge Pump”

So is the Auto or Manual 800 GPH pump listed as Bilge Pump #2 on your dash switch (Bilge rocker switch listing pump #1 and #2)? Pump #1 being the faster 1,500 GPH one?

For those that swapped their manual out for an auto, is it as simple as just re-splicing the wires?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

1500gph shock

Holy snit, hope noone is on that side when she pumps out
    classic

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’d recommend multiple bilge pumps. I know many “Auto bilge” pumps that have burned out due to debris locking the float up and keeping them on. I’ve also had the float locked down by debris too. It doesn’t take much. Plus when you really need a bilge it’s nice to have both on at once. Moving 2000 GPH total is fast enough but not like you’d think nhamm.

In short, I love my auto bilge but I’d never trust it as my only source of removing water.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’d recommend anyone with only one bilge pump to install one of these along with a second bilge pump.

Dual Bilge Pump Y

carver
    West Metro

I have both in my 2013 MX2025. Their both mounted right next to each other.

When I clean out the bilge area in the spring, I fill it up to test it out before really needing it. I do the same for the manual one as well. I’m lucky to have a steep enough area where I don’t have to fill it too much to test it out.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Both of my pumps work fine with the dash rocker switch, i’ll investigate better next time i’m at the lake, i’m guessing the auto-setting must have burned out…

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Both of my pumps work fine with the dash rocker switch, i’ll investigate better next time i’m at the lake, i’m guessing the auto-setting must have burned out…

So you do have two, sorry I must have misread your post.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I updated my first post to make it clear i have 2 pumps…

The other thing i’m wondering is at what water level (in the bilge area) does the auto-bilge feature kick in? My pumps ran for about 45 seconds before they emptied out…is that typical? and so the auto-bilge feature then possibly emptied the water upto that point?

I know this is kind of a silly post, but when do you ever really pay attention and actually see the auto-bilge work? Last weeks historical rain up-north got me worried a bit if I don’t get upto my cabin for a few weeks and we get tons of rain…I have a good cover while the boat is up on the lift, but like I mentioned it took about 45 seconds to drain the water that did bleed through the cover…

I guess the only real way to know would be to test like Carver mentioned with a hose in the driveway…

saddletramp

Just my opinion, but 45 seconds doesn’t pump very many gallons.
    I’ve no idea what the size of your pump is, but as an example, a 750gph pump will theoretically pump 12.6 gpm.
    Maybe my math is way wrong, but on my boat, 2 or 3 waves over the front or back will run the pump that long.
    If the float switch is very much higher than the pump, it’s probably working.

JoeMX1825
    MN

the more I think about it, the more i’m thinking the auto-bilge is working just fine and the water that was in the boat was the leftover just below the auto-bilge threshold line…

I’ll test for sure when i put the boat in storage this fall…

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

When I installed mine, was suprised how much water there would have to be in back for it to turn on. Pump on top of shim plate off floor, then another 1-2″ for float in pump to trip.

I’ve had lots of water in my boat this spring to test out the auto bilge for various reasons unfortunately.

Musky Ed

Have two pumps in my MX2040, never really checked them, but the other day out trolling on lake Michigan with 5′ waves, I took a little water over the bow a few times when I was into the wind. It was only a couple of inches over the tip, and very little water, but it got our attention. Needless to say, I found out right away that the auto switch works, and pumps at quite a substantial rate. I had a huge cooler with ice, and a couple of fish in it up on the bow, and by moving it off the bow to the back, we had no more waves over the bow. It’s good peace of mind having two pumps

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

That boat does have an auto bilge. There should be a black cased fuse holder right on the starting battery that is labled auto bilge. Check and make sure that fuse is still good.
    If its still good could be just not enough water in there to turn on. You can put the drain plug in, lift nose of the boat as high as you can and put a hose in the bilge area and fill up to test.

JoeMX1825
    MN

That boat does have an auto bilge. There should be a black cased fuse holder right on the starting battery that is labled auto bilge. Check and make sure that fuse is still good.
    If its still good could be just not enough water in there to turn on. You can put the drain plug in, lift nose of the boat as high as you can and put a hose in the bilge area and fill up to test.

Thanks for the info, i’ll be sure to check the fuse…

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

My 2014 MX2025 has an auto bilge. Big rain storm while it was docked overnight also proved that it works as well.

FDR

JoeMX1825
    MN

I will now test the Auto bilge every spring when cleaning the boat from winter storage… I personally have never seen the auto-bilge kick in, so it’s risky to just assume it will work…

thanks all for the replies!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I run an auto, and keep another auto stowed for when the main auto breaks. Exchange takes less than 5 minutes.

My boat leaks, so I’m always monitoring that it is working.

Believe it or not, works all winter too.

Mine go bad because of debris in impeller. It happens.

A great reminder that I need to replace my replacement as I have no backup at the moment. Thanks!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

As an added note to everyone regarding bilge pumps auto and manual. Be sure to check often for debris that can collect over time and actually burn the pump out or hopefully just blow the fuse.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Debris of ALL kinds. My last oil change gifted me with a shop paper towel in the bilge pump…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.