Night vision binoculars

• Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Are your neighbors really that interesting?

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Let us know what you get Ice Cap. My neighbors are very interesting.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I did not mean to hurt your feelings, looking for a chuckle and what you are going to use them for.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I don’t mean to sound preachy at all, I just don’t know what your familiarity is with night vision. I used various models a lot during my time in the army so I’m pretty familiar with them (and even though that was over 7 years ago those models are probably archaic).

If I think of something else to add I will but just be real careful that normal/bright light isn’t introduced while you’re wearing them. If you’re inside and a light switch gets flipped on you’ll have a very rough day. Night vision uses what little light there is to illuminate what you’re looking at, so things like moon phase will impact it. So like I said, flipping on a light switch or an errant flashlight to the eyes can be really bad.

Also, depth perception can be a problem while wearing them, so be careful. We used to screw around and try and high-five with them on and the results can be hilarious.

I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun, just use caution for the areas I mentioned.

Ice Cap

I did not mean to hurt your feelings, looking for a chuckle and what you are going to use them for.

No worries Dusty I haven’t given you the power to hurt my feelings. I’d like them for up at the lake primarily. We are up against the Superior National Forest and get a lot of movement in the woods at night we hear while sitting by the fire. Just interested in knowing what’s out there. We have a strong wolf presence as well. Thanks for the reply.

Ice Cap

Thanks Dan not preachy at all very good info. That’s what I was looking for. I knew $200 wasn’t going to be military grade but I don’t want to drop $200 on a novelty item either. If you read my response to Dusty you will see what my application is. I got a gift card for Scheels so looking for something besides more fishing bling. I have plenty.

Ice Cap

Will keep you posted!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Probably sasquatch or chupacabra.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Could be Moth Man drawn to the fire!!

hillhiker
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dusty Gesinger wrote:</div>

No worries Dusty I haven’t given you the power to hurt my feelings. I’d like them for up at the lake primarily. We are up against the Superior National Forest and get a lot of movement in the woods at night we hear while sitting by the fire. Just interested in knowing what’s out there. We have a strong wolf presence as well. Thanks for the reply.

It’s not necessarily a lot of help to you, but I got to see a fire/rescue boat with a pair of night vision cameras hooked to two large chart plotters last year. I was pretty impressed with the image. You could clearly see buoys, waves, and even logs out in front of us. One of the guys on the boat was saying they had binoculars that were similar as far as image. I have often wished I would have got more details on the system. It would be awesome running the river at night, and I could only imagine the cool things you’d get to see in the woods in your area.

realtreeap10
    Over there

Slightly off topic from night vision but I bought the Leupold LTO Quest last fall for finding downed deer and other things after shooting them. It’s a thermal camera so you can see heat and shape, slightly different than NVG’s but I will say it works very good. No previous military experience from me but my marine buddy said anything you find on the civilian market doesn’t compare to what they have in the military unless you spend big money on them.

Ice Cap

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Netguy wrote:</div>

Will keep you posted!

Just to follow up on this I passed on the night vision. After more research it’s seem you need to spend considerable more than $200 to get something that’s worth having. A couple trail cams might be better even though it’s after the fact identification it will let me know who the regular visitors are.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Dang!! frown

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I think you can get trail cams that will send photos to your phone, so no waiting. Or look into a thermal or flir camera or app for your phone?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.