Next Best thing to Braid?

• carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Been using Suffix 832 10lb braid for pulling Dubuque rigs on wing dams. I like fast tip rods and am getting tired of tip line wrap when snagged and also wind knots. Need a small diameter line with a little memory to eliminate the tip wrap and still have fair sensitivity. Does such a line exist? Any suggestions appreciated.

Deuces

Some have issues just like yours with 832, some don’t. I definitely did as well.

Fire line crystal has been really good for me, I always have a leader on it so fraying on rocks isn’t an issue.

Also excellent for a braid in cold weather. I use it most of winter.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

tip line wrap when snagged

Ok, Ill bite, what is occurring and why? What does getting the snag do?

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Getting the snag can pull or break the tip of your rod off if the braid is wrapped on the rod below the rod tip. At the time of the snag the boat is moving away from it on your troll. Momentum, current and wind take you further away until you can get the boat turned around go to the other side of the snag and try to pop it loose. Ideally you let out line while this is happening until you get headed back enough to start reeling line back in. Many times I’ll feel the obstruction and try to pop the jig over. This avoids a snag maybe 65 percent of the time. Sometimes that pop or a little slack combined with the fast tip,limp braid and maybe some wind causes a wrap below the tip and now you’re rod tip is direct tied to the snag with the boat moving away from it. It wraps so tight you often need a line pick to pull it loose.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Never had this problem. Have you tried suffix performance braid or going to 15#?

igotone

Go to power pro !
    I also like the Ultra 8 fireline.
    For me 832 was junk!!!

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I use 14 lb nanofil with leader. Far less wrapping or wind knots. All 6 of my spinning rods have it. I use 832 on baitcasters
    Mwal

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Getting the snag can pull or break the tip of your rod off if the braid is wrapped on the rod below the rod tip. At the time of the snag the boat is moving away from it on your troll. Momentum, current and wind take you further away until you can get the boat turned around go to the other side of the snag and try to pop it loose. Ideally you let out line while this is happening until you get headed back enough to start reeling line back in. Many times I’ll feel the obstruction and try to pop the jig over. This avoids a snag maybe 65 percent of the time. Sometimes that pop or a little slack combined with the fast tip,limp braid and maybe some wind causes a wrap below the tip and now you’re rod tip is direct tied to the snag with the boat moving away from it. It wraps so tight you often need a line pick to pull it loose.

Thanks for the explanation. I get plenty of snags but never had this happen. I can understand why you might want to change either your equipment or your technique if you are damaging your rods doing what you are doing.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

igotone can you tell me more about Ultra 8? In-Fisherman article says “bulletproof in terms of wind knots”. Does it have a little memory to it?

robby
    Quad Cities

Microguides on your rods. This is what they were made for. Other than that, I have not found any substancial use for micro guides.

Red Eye

I have the same issue with jiggin raps and fireline.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

RIP jigging and braid usually results in tip wrap.

If the only ripping your doing is when snagged I’d just be more cautious.

12# mono is great for rip jigging but you probably wouldn’t want that for dubuque.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I had the same wind knot problems with 832. Not sure why.

I’ve been using Berkley X9 this season with great results. I like the ultra-8 carrier or even nanofil where abrasion isn’t a concern, but that said you can mostly alleviate abrasion concerns with a flouro leader.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Stop casting into the wind, problem solved. LOL.

This is where I kind of like the Fireline Braid when Berkley had it. Of course I was using 15# Fireline Braid as opposed to 20# Sufix 832 Advance. There was less chance of a wind knot or whatever. They don’t make Fireline Braid anymore.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Just got done testing out some YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 line over the winter and it is a braid that has some body to it. Very smooth on the surface and better than 832 smoothness. Kind of has a body similar to Fireline Ultra 8 but better smoothness. The braid line could almost pass for a mono line, except that I know in my mind it’s a braid. So maybe when I get to do some open water fishing and see how it will perform.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Will look for your report. I switched to Fireline Ultra 8 and so far have not had the line wrap problems I had with Suffix 832. If the Ultra 8 doesn’t change drastically as it breaks in it should be my go to line.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I haven’t had many issues with 832 or Power Pro (I prefer Power Pro). Most of my applications using it are subtle and minimal long range casting. Everyone does things differently, but when I’m Dubuque rigging, vertical jigging, or dragging jigs there isn’t many slack scenarios where the line could twist around the tip. At the most, I’m “tossing” my rig/jig away from the boat and often just lowering it over the edge of the boat. By the time I have to rip jig aggressively or cast to really cover water… I am on to morel hunting or have more success trolling.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Security!

That’s a pretty suspicious link in the post above.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m not much of a walleye fisherman but I use 832 quite a bit bass fishing and have it on all of my spinning rods. Never had problems. However the lightest strength I use is 12#. Might be worth moving up in strength to get a little stiffer line. Braid is still plenty thing even at 15#.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.