New Years treat in my trap

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

You are issued tags and once you get your three you are done.

Wi is limit of two with registered in 24 hours plus in person registration for a carcass tag. If quotas are hit, the DNR will shut the otter season down early

basseyes

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gino wrote:</div>
    I’ve keep erasing my comments to post here because I don’t want to start a fight. Trapping is a sport the same as hunting and fishing. But instead of just making a turd you can make clothing and other items such as gun cases, jewelry and beautiful blankets, and on and on . These items last for years and get handed down from generation to generation , well they used to. Now everything is evil. The anti’s attacking trapping and putting these thoughts into your heads that it’s evil and we don’t need it are not going to stop there. They will be pushing to stop hunting for wild game because it’s unneeded and then they will be pushing to stop recreational fishing, unneeded. We need to embrace them and use the resources god has put here for us . Trappers are some of the most down to earth people you will ever meet and most all of them love the animals they pursue and the environment they trap them in more then anybody. We as sportsman need to stick together when it comes to all outdoor activities or we’re sure too lose them all.

X2
    It should be about the true Teddy Roosevelt sense of conservation: be able to enjoy hunting, fishing, trapping for generations to come.

X3

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Many years ago at the peak of the fur trade my Grandfather actually had a real trap line and it accounted for about half of his income. He always said the tail on an otter was a complete bitch to skin but the payout was worth it.

Some of the commentary in this thread is just down right despicable. Trapping is really no different than harvesting a deer, fish, or bird when done correctly.

Deuces

Some of the commentary in this thread is just down right despicable.

Which ones in particular?

I feel that’s a bit dramatic.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    Some of the commentary in this thread is just down right despicable.

Which ones in particular?

I feel that’s a bit dramatic.

“Unlike…….muskrat” that comment put thorns in my underwear. Love rats. Easy to trap, plentiful, super easy to skin and put up, and the fur is so soft. My blood pressure just explodes when anyone disrespects a muskrat. I hope anyone that doesn’t like rats has leaky waders and boat jester rotflol jester rotflol jester rotflol jester rotflol jester rotflol jester

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>
    but I can’t remember the last time I seen one if ever.

It’s strange that when I’m up in the Boulder Junction or other areas in northern wi, I see them often during the day. Down here, almost 100% nocturnal

Every winter we see one in front of our place when he sits on the ice. Never see em in the summer.

I kill every muskrat I possibly can.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>
    but I can’t remember the last time I seen one if ever.

It’s strange that when I’m up in the Boulder Junction or other areas in northern wi, I see them often during the day. Down here, almost 100% nocturnal

Boulder Junction woot

Maybe a little off topic but that little gem of a destination brings back fond memories.

Back in the 1990’s when I was a sconnie resident, my buddy and I would drive up for quick muskie fishing trips. We’d leave Friday after work and would arrive around dark, which was perfect because at the time we discovered how effective targeting muskie was after dark.

One time after coming off the lake later at night, we stopped in at the Boulder Beer Bar right there in town for refreshments.

There weren’t any otter in there by then, but there were still a few beaver milling about.

I can still picture it, we’d just ordered our refreshment and looked over in time to see a beaver slide off the barstool and hit the floor with a resounding thud. A companion helped gather the tipsy beaver back up on the stool. Not a minute went by and we heard the thud again.

Never forget that, maybe because my buddy and myself had so many great times back then fishing trips and all the fun/funny stuff that went with them. toast

glenn57
    cold spring mn

judt read this……interesting thread. go get them. my grandpa taught us how to trap muskrats as kids. it was fun. ended up with more feet then rats. problem then was finding a buyer.

LabDaddy1

judt read this……interesting thread. go get them. my grandpa taught us how to trap muskrats as kids. it was fun. ended up with more feet then rats. problem then was finding a buyer.

Lol.

^ and what in the world did Andy mean above about beavers and muskrats at the bar?? ??? jester

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Good info Randy, just like always. applause
    Excellent write up Gino. waytogo waytogo

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Live in MSP suburb; have seen otters in my back yard and crossing an athletic field near MG high shcool – on the move. As Randy stated, they cover a lot of miles.

Have seen several otter families over the years in the BWCA… always fun to watch.

Pete

stevenoak

Like wolves, otters are cool critters. Unfortunately, we have destroyed so much of their habitat. Most areas don’t support their superior hunting skills. In the boundry waters with deep lakes. They can hunt the shallows and edges of lakes and reap a small portion of the resources here and there. My oldest brother moved to the Ozarks 40 some years ago. I used to go down and fish the small rivers with him. Smallmouth, trout, goggle eye {rockbass}. Along with Crawfish large enough to eat and every other thing you can imagine was plentiful. Most of the rivers averaged 6′ deep and are gin clear. MDNR restocked otters. Within 3 years the rivers were dead. They start with the easiest to catch, and work their way thru the food chain till nothings left. Hard to blame the critters. They all had plenty of room. Till we came along and “improved” things.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.