New Wheel House Owner Tips

• Jensen

Pouring hot water onto the regulator will unfreeze it too I’ve been told but seems like that would be a mess in cold temperatures.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>usmarine0352 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blakehreha wrote:</div>
    I have a hair dryer if mine isn’t heating as well I turn it on and put it in the propane box within minutes the heater starts working like a champ again. Warms the tank and the regulator at the same time

What is a propane box?

The white cover over your tanks is what he is referring to, there are also nice metal lockable ones you can purchase.

I believe they make heated tank covers. Anyone know?

Mike S

Propane and regulator freezing up is usually because of lack of pressure in tanks in extreme cold weather. When cold, liquid propane gets into system instead of vapor causing many issues (regulator freeze up, regulator not reducing pressure properly) This could be dangerous. If you put a magnetic oil pan style heater on the lower side of the propane tank (being careful that you are away from the rubber propane line) then you probably wont have an issue. Also using an automatic regulator : Turn both tanks on slowly (pressure needs to equalize in system or safety valve in green nut hose area will limit the propane flow) & put regulator indicator lever toward the tank you are using. When it gets empty it will automatically switch to the opposite tank and the indicater on the regulater will turn red indicating that the tank it is pointing to is empty.(if cold sometimes will not show properly). Turn the indicator to the oppisite tank and it show green again. you can then remove the empty tank and get it filled.(sometimes the check valve in the regulater will let a small amount of gas seep out of the empty tank hose so use caution or turn off all propane and get filled)

Mike S

Propane and regulator freezing up is usually because of lack of pressure in tanks in extreme cold weather. When cold, liquid propane gets into system instead of vapor causing many issues (regulator freeze up, regulator not reducing pressure properly) This could be dangerous. If you put a magnetic oil pan style heater on the lower side of the propane tank (being careful that you are away from the rubber propane line) then you probably wont have an issue. Also using an automatic regulator : Turn both tanks on slowly (pressure needs to equalize in system or safety valve in green nut hose area will limit the propane flow) & put regulator indicator lever toward the tank you are using. When it gets empty it will automatically switch to the opposite tank and the indicater on the regulater will turn red indicating that the tank it is pointing to is empty.(if cold sometimes will not show properly). Turn the indicator to the oppisite tank and it show green again. you can then remove the empty tank and get it filled.(sometimes the check valve in the regulater will let a small amount of gas seep out of the empty tank hose so use caution or turn off all propane and get filled)

Mike S

I always in the cold weather double up a moving blanket and put loosely over the generator (not covering the exhaust) and put in the back of truck with touno cover open just one flip. Seems to work

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>

I have a hair dryer if mine isn’t heating as well I turn it on and put it in the propane box within minutes the heater starts working like a champ again. Warms the tank and the regulator at the same time

What is a propane box?

The white cover over your tanks is what he is referring to, there are also nice metal lockable ones you can purchase.

Yes they make blankets that fit right around the tank and plug in. I am not aware of the cover itself being heated. Unclaimed Freight has them.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Thanks John! Next week we’ll be discussing waterproof boots! jester

usmarine0352

I always in the cold weather double up a moving blanket and put loosely over the generator (not covering the exhaust) and put in the back of truck with touno cover open just one flip. Seems to work

For those who use a box for their generator a plastic dog crate is great because it is made out of plastic that is durable and can handle extreme temperature changes. You can also find them extremely cheap or free on Craigslist sometimes.

A lot of plastic tubs aren’t made for extreme weather and only open vertically while dog crates open both vertically and horizontally.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Why don’t the fish house makers put covered opening through the wall of the fish house to the propane tanks. When it gets cold, put a few blankets over the tanks and regulator and open the cover. Heat comes out of the house to warm the propane tanks. You could even use a 12 volt fan to blow the air out.

Is there some regulation prohibiting this?

usmarine0352

Why don’t the fish house makers put covered opening through the wall of the fish house to the propane tanks. When it gets cold, put a few blankets over the tanks and regulator and open the cover. Heat comes out of the house to warm the propane tanks. You could even use a 12 volt fan to blow the air out.

Is there some regulation prohibiting this?

A secondary door would be hard to use in that small V space of a shack and you’d basically have to install an entire second door which would be expensive.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Not a whole door. Take a 3 or 4 inch hole saw and go right through the wall.

usmarine0352

Not a whole door. Take a 3 or 4 inch hole saw and go right through the wall.

Like a little maintenance hatch, not a bad idea but still would be more expensive for them.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>

What is a propane box?

A guy made me a cover that has 18′ of heat tape running through it. It made out of heavy duty canvas and is insulated with a zip open top. You just slip it over propane tank cover and plug it in. Works awesome.

I used have heat tape wrapped around each tank being held on by insulated tape. It got beat up by taking the cover on and off.

I would also suggest not point your generator exhaust at your propane tank area to keep them warm. It will more than likely fill your house with CO. There are alot of other things (hand warmers etc) that will work in a pinch.

I’ve seen guys with full tanks and high flow regulators freeze up and guys do nothing and make it through. The service lead at IC told me to always keep my tanks warm and watch others have problems. It’s worked out for me so far.

Edit to add. Also with heating my tanks, they are bone dry empty.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Like a little maintenance hatch, not a bad idea but still would be more expensive for them.

Them the manufacturer? Sure. But the buyer could do it. Just need to know if there are any wires in the wall where the hole would go. Plenty of ways to insulate and seal the hole when it’s not needed. It just seems way easier than heating the tanks with anything electric.

Zack Shack Guy

Quick Question:

As I store my Yetti for the summer, should I lower it down on blocks, or just keep it up on the wheels?

Also, wondering for summer camping, do people lower it down, or just keep it up on the wheels?

Thanks

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quick Question:

As I store my Yetti for the summer, should I lower it down on blocks, or just keep it up on the wheels?

Also, wondering for summer camping, do people lower it down, or just keep it up on the wheels?

Thanks

I drop mine down on 4×4 blocks for the summer. Lets air circulate, too low and critters will make a home.
    Trailers never get lowered though, so its a mind game. I also do not like the step up when camping nor the bouncing and rocking, however a fella could use leveling jacks like on a travel trailer.

Not sure if it matters but I try not to space the blocks too far to better support the frame in the middle, I may be overly anal though?

Some also put blocks under tires and covers on tires if in the sun.

Zack, when ours is parked during the summer, we don’t lower it, but we use it for camping alot. Knock on wood, have not had critter issues, I would think lowering on blocks it would make it easier for them.

As for camping, we prefer to lower it for stability and its easier to get in and out. Dont forget to store a bunch of scrap 2×4’s and or 4×4’s for leveling purposes at some sites.

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.