New trolling motor or new boat?

• Steve Sweaney

Need help. I have a Lund 1675 Impact and tired of getting blown around. Currently have a 70# trolling motor and looking to upgrade to a 80# Terrova. I mainly spider rig with two people sitting at the bow. If one gets up the boat catches the wind and goes nuts. I like the boat but getting frustrated. Would upgrading help or other suggestions is appreciated.

Umy
    South Metro

I may or may not be helpful.
    I started my boating life 4 years ago with a 16″ Lund tyee
    80# Terrova on a 60″ shaft
    I fished mostly local, South metro lakes and around those in Mankato.
    I go to Canada 5 or 6 times a year.
    THe beam on the tyee was about 6′ 6″.
    Was pretty tough sledding some days on the big waves in Canada on Rainy with the up and down and the trolling motor prop coming out of the water ( ANY boat in the 2-3′ kind of waves will have it’s trolling motor struggle somewhat). I never had it too bad on the local lakes as the waves were not that big.
    I bought a 1775 (17 feet 11″ ) impact 2.5 years ago.
    8 foot beam and the same trolling motor set up I took from my 16′ Tyee.
    Ride is better and is more stable. If I had money to burn I would buy 112# thrust Terrova for the extra power but not necessary in my opinion.
    I get 8-10 hours out of my 24 volt system locally and about 6-8 hours on Rainy in the rougher water.
    I bass fish and walleye fish – someone on both ends of the boat and sometimes someone in the middle. If I fish alone and steer the trolling motor from the back I have to have it all the way down or sometimes it breaks the surface in mild waves or if a boat goes by and I ride through its wake but other than that it holds me fine in spot lock or just trolling along in 90% of my fishing .

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have a similar set up to Umy, but brand x and a bit deeper boat. I also feel as though if I could have I wish I would have put the 112 on it. But the 80 works fine 95% of the time. I rarely fish from the bow though. The extra foot is nice and if I had to do it over again would go with a 18ft.

chuck skinner

Hi, I have a 17 ft Yamaha G3 aluminum v hull. I am looking at a Ultrex 80 lb thrust, 24 volt, with a 60 inch shaft. a salesman at the shop recommend a 52 inch shaft. He feels the head on the 60 inch shaft will sit too high and I will be wacking my rod on the head. any opinions ?

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Hi, I have a 17 ft Yamaha G3 aluminum v hull. I am looking at a Ultrex 80 lb thrust, 24 volt, with a 60 inch shaft. a salesman at the shop recommend a 52 inch shaft. He feels the head on the 60 inch shaft will sit too high and I will be wacking my rod on the head. any opinions ?

The 60 inch shaft is 8″ longer, so if you’re in extremely shallow water, you might want to raise the motor so you don’t hit bottom with the prop. Then you might hit the head with your rod. Otherwise, you’d run with the shaft all the way down (8″ deeper than a 52″ shaft) so in waves the prop doesn’t come out of the water. Little advantage to a 52″ shaft in my opinion.
    Incidentally, when you have a question only marginally related to the original topic, you’ll likely get more responses if you start your own topic.

Umy
    South Metro

Chuck, I fish a lot of shallow water and have the shaft raised up then.
    NEVER have I hit the head.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Chuck, I fish a lot of shallow water and have the shaft raised up then.
    NEVER have I hit the head.

Same

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

If you are mainly Spider Rigging with two people you would want a boat with flat wide front deck that is why most Crappie Tournament fishermen use bass boats. Low profile large front deck for two people and shallow draft. A bigger trolling motor will help some but with the high sides you will still have the same problem maybe just a bit more controllable. Going to a 60 inch shaft when the motor is stowed will it clear everything on your current boat?

Steve Sweaney

I currently have a 60” motor so no problems there. Mainly when fishing and the winds pick up and someone moves the boat no longer wants to go in a straight line. I think I’m gonna try some sandbags in the front and try and upgrade the motor.

Steve Sweaney

@Umy. Do you ever experience the bow of the boat catching the wind when weight shifts (mainly off the bow) and having to make quick steering adjustments on the trolling motor?

Umy
    South Metro

I really do not run into this problem.
    Sometime when I am in Canada and there are 2′ + waves it gets tough as even though the trolling motor is slid all the way down it will still clear the water due to the waves size.
    My boat has an 8 foot beam and that may help me more than your s perhaps?
    Wind has never really shifted my boat to the point where I need to make sudden, drastic changes to direction. If it is blowing real hard I tend to go to areas of the lake where I can cut across easier or hit it head on to make steering easier.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I have a 2011, 1675 impact sport. I went from a 12v to a 24v 60″ shaft 80# Terrova I-Pilot link. The 60 inch shaft is really helpful in any wave action that gets the boat bobbing up and down. Most functions work better with the main motor skeg in the water. The spot lock works better when the shaft is down and the TM wake clears the hull.

Steve Sweaney

I have a 2011, 1675 impact sport. I went from a 12v to a 24v 60″ shaft 80# Terrova I-Pilot link. The 60 inch shaft is really helpful in any wave action that gets the boat bobbing up and down. Most functions work better with the main motor skeg in the water. The spot lock works better when the shaft is down and the TM wake clears the hull.

I mainly fish into the wind generally with two people sitting at bow (my boat has the three deck plates for pedestals). When someone moves or gets down the boat will not continue straight. Have to adjust the steering of trolling motor. No issues with motor coming out of water.
    With you having the Terrova I assume you upgraded? Mine has Powerdrive V2 2011 model. Someone suggested getting new motor and I think I will look into purchasing one. Do you any additional weight up front (like sandbags)?

Steve Williams
    Twin Cities

Same boat…60 inch Terrova…never a problem.

MX1825

SS

The Terrova with the Autopilot might help you. It won’t correct your direction as quickly as a cable steer TM. The 80 lb will make no difference in my opinion.
    If you are moving at 1mph with your 70 lb or moving at 1mph with an 80 Terrova won’t make a difference with the wind, you will still have to make a correction to your boats travel path or wait for Autopilot to correct for you.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

People in the boat act similar to having a sail deployed. If they move the trolling motor will have to react. I have i-Pilot Link and use the settings to maintain course direction / heading automatically adjusting for these human sails.
    It’s a Gen2.
    Extra prop and 50 lb anchor in the front storage.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.