New to us pontoon

• Dink buster

Gona take a 2014 sylvan 20 ft party fish pontoon for a test drive this weekend. 90 horse mercury. A coworker is selling it. He likes the boat just doesn’t use it enough. Asking 18000$ for it. Sound like a decent price? Not a tri toon.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Seems a bit high unless it’s really nice and has extras. Trailer?

Ice Cap

Hard to say not seeing it but it does seem a bit high on price. Some extra’s like maybe sea legs and a trailer might get you there? You will enjoy it though if you live on a lake a pontoon is a must have.

Dink buster

If he’s asking 18k hoping that’s just his starting point I guess. Was hoping it sounded like a decent price. I’ve looked at other toons Not as nice for more at dealers lots but that’s a dealer. It comes with the trailer.He used the boat mainly for cruising with the family. Immaculate shape except it looks like the toons were not cleaned last season.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Trailer would be somewhere around 2-3k of the price. Sea legs 4-5k (I’m assuming it does not have those).

From what I have seen prices are average or inflated right now and the toy dumping has not come to fruition. Things in peoples’ personal economy might be drastically different in a couple months, but summer will also be ending.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

You have to think about the opportunity cost here as well. Nice, only 6 years old, well-maintained, and you know the owner and can be reasonably certain about how the boat was used, maintained, and that there are probably no known hidden issues.

Turn the situation around, if you found the same boat in the ads or at a dealer and you get far less verifiable information about the boat.

Condition and maintenance quality are EVERYTHING when it comes to used boats. A 6-year-old pontoon value could vary by literally thousands of dollars depending on how well it was maintained. Here you have in your sights a good model with low hours and what sounds like very good maintenance.

I’m not saying the price is high or low, I’m just saying look at the opportunity cost of letting this one go. Personally, if that was the boat I wanted, I’d be working a deal right now because the next best option isn’t nearly as good.

Grouse

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Grouse is right. I recently went to look at an old toon in the 4k range. The owner claimed to be the original owner. Through the course of conversation I learned that the tilt trim “was fine” but didnt work at the moment because it “needed oil.” He had never done the impeller because it “always spit fine.” It “fired right up” when he pulled it out of storage, but they had to tinker with it and pop the top to get it running for me. And finally, the key doesnt turn it off – you choke it till it dies.

If it is what you want, within a reasonable blue book range, and you plan to keep it long term it might be right for you.

39degrees

Lots of good advice above. I can only offer an opinion. I think pontoons are great, so much fun to cruise in, and casually fish out of. Kids, slip bobbers, some bait, and a pontoon. Making memories!

Dink buster

Thanks everyone for the advice. Much appreciated

Ice Cap

Checking the NADA book on it the base price with a 90 Merc low retail is $18,440 and high retail is $20970 not knowing any accessories like electronics bimini top etc. the value goes up. So sounds like you’re price is right there.

Anything else he throws in like life jackets tow ropes, dock bumpers, anchors etc adds value. That stuff all adds up when you have to go out and buy it. For some reason it struck me as high priced at first. Good luck and hope it follows you home. Keep us posted.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Seems like a decent deal if it’s well maintained. That’s plenty of power for that boat, too.

You didn’t mention if it had a Bimini….that’s a must imho. If it doesn’t, make sure to understand the price of adding one. Those toons get darn hot floating around in the sun. The shade is really nice to have.

catnip
    south metro

Sounds like a decent toon for the price if it is in great shape. If it is on a trailer i suggest you look at each and every weld you can carefully to make sure that there are no cracks. Especially on the brackets that are welded to the tops of the toons that the crossmembers/ floor bolt to, and the transom.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

4-stroke? IMO, 4-stroke is a must for a toon.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.