New to Rochester

• Bryce Comstock

Hey everyone,

I am new to Rochester after moving here from Virginia. I enjoy fly fishing and fishing for small mouth and stripers. I am looking to get into walleye if anyone is looking to mentor someone! I am looking to buy a boat, but I want to go out a few times to see what would work best for my needs. I promise to pay for gas and bring beer!

-Bryce

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Welcome to MN. Grew up in the Rochester area and have a few tips to share. PM sent!

Nick Dennison
    Rochester MN

Bryce I would encourage you to look into the walleye searchers fishing club based in rochester…we have monthly fun tournaments and you will learn a ton…www.walleyesearchers.org

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If you have no experience with walleyes but want to dive right in, I’d pick a target destination and hire a guide. Mille Lacs, Pool 2, Pool 4 are all within reasonable distance and will show you quickly whether or not MN walleye fishing will be your main passion/target. I’ll second joining any local fishing groups you can find as well.

If you’ve got experience targeting smallmouth and enjoy them, your skills will translate well to the population we have on MN Rivers.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

For walleyes, focus on Pool 4. For small mouths, you have some decent river fishing to try but wading, not from a boat. (Zumbro River comes to mind – I grew up fishing it a little west of you). If you want to go with any frequency from Rochester, those are your closest good options.

keith schuckert

Where would one park to I have been trying to find info to wade for smallies. Would love to catch one on my fly rod but can’t find much info online.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Where would one park to I have been trying to find info to wade for smallies. Would love to catch one on my fly rod but can’t find much info online.

Keith:

Take Highway 63 North [north Broadway], north out of two about 16 miles to a left turn onto Wabasha County 7. Travel west about 2 1/2 miles to where Wabasha County 21 merges from the south. Take the left onto Co. 21 about 200 feet and on the left is a sandy gravel parking lot and a canoe access point. Just hit the water in waders and start casting. Where you’ll be fishing is a c/r managed smallie water upstream about three miles to the Lake Zumbro Dam and downstream to Zumbro Falls. Some days can have a decent current while the dam is taking water to generate electricity while other days it flow can be really pleasant. You’ll be in the Zumbro River.

If you take a trip to the west to Byron about 8 miles and then north out of Byron on Olmsted County Road 5 for about 4 miles you’ll find signs directing you to Oxbow County Park where Olmsted County Rd 4 merges from the east. Its a left turn then another left immediately. The first parking area to the left will easily be seen from the road and this fork of the Zumbro River system is also c/r managed for smallies but they are not real sizable.

Bryce:

If you are without a boat currently and want some walleye, decent crappie action this fall later on, drive to Lake City straight out of Rochester on North Broadway just like you’re headed for that first smallie destination. At Lake City find the breakwater separating Lake Pepin from the sailboat harbor just out of the marina, NOT the long concrete pier on the south end of the sailboat harbor. Walleyes and crappies will be very available to casting jigs and plastics or jigs and minnows from the end of September until ice up. The sailboat harbor itself will offer some stellar panfish jigging from the docks after October 10th when they won’t mind you in there. I make weekly trips to the breakwater/harbor, often twice a week all thru October and well into November. I’d be happy to have you tag along for a couple if you’re still snooping for boat-less fishing. No special tackle for either crappie fishing or walleye fishing. I make tackle so you won’t likely need to buy any of that. You can connect with me by pm’s here if interested.

keith schuckert

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>keith schuckert wrote:</div>

Keith:

Take Highway 63 North [north Broadway], north out of two about 16 miles to a left turn onto Wabasha County 7. Travel west about 2 1/2 miles to where Wabasha County 21 merges from the south. Take the left onto Co. 21 about 200 feet and on the left is a sandy gravel parking lot and a canoe access point. Just hit the water in waders and start casting. Where you’ll be fishing is a c/r managed smallie water upstream about three miles to the Lake Zumbro Dam and downstream to Zumbro Falls. Some days can have a decent current while the dam is taking water to generate electricity while other days it flow can be really pleasant. You’ll be in the Zumbro River.

If you take a trip to the west to Byron about 8 miles and then north out of Byron on Olmsted County Road 5 for about 4 miles you’ll find signs directing you to Oxbow County Park where Olmsted County Rd 4 merges from the east. Its a left turn then another left immediately. The first parking area to the left will easily be seen from the road and this fork of the Zumbro River system is also c/r managed for smallies but they are not real sizable.

Bryce:

If you are without a boat currently and want some walleye, decent crappie action this fall later on, drive to Lake City straight out of Rochester on North Broadway just like you’re headed for that first smallie destination. At Lake City find the breakwater separating Lake Pepin from the sailboat harbor just out of the marina, NOT the long concrete pier on the south end of the sailboat harbor. <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Walleyes and crappies will be very available to casting jigs and plastics or jigs and minnows from the end of September until ice up. The sailboat harbor itself will offer some stellar panfish jigging from the docks after October 10th when they won’t mind you in there. I make weekly trips to the breakwater/harbor, often twice a week all thru October and well into November. I’d be happy to have you tag along for a couple if you’re still snooping for boat-less fishing. No special tackle for either <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappie fishing or walleye fishing. I make tackle so you won’t likely need to buy any of that. You can connect with me by pm’s here if interested.

Thank you very much. Looks like I found something to do on sunday the rare day I have both jobs off on the same day.

Bryce Comstock

Thank you everyone above for the help! Tom I will reach out!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.