New to me Mole trap

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

A friend of mine was talking about the “tomcat” mole trap as being the best thing since the 12 ga in ridding the yard of moles.

I’ve have good luck keeping the grubs at bay for sometime but the last few years it’s gotten a way from me and I’m paying the price with the neighbors moles swinging over for a visit. I’ve been using the loop style trap for well over 20 years and they seemed to work the best for me.

What I didn’t like about them was setting them. It’s a darn heavy spring and if it would trip in your hand there’s lots of moving parts. When my friend started talking about a mole trap that’s set with your foot, I was all ears.

Step the tunnel trip area down with your foot. Use the built in gauge to ensure it’s the right depth.
    Place the trap in the tunnel or if solid ground use something like a potato shovel to make the slots.
    Put the trap in the slots and step down on the trap pedal.

No fingers needed.

Wait 24 hours and remove dead mole or move trap to a more active tunnel.

I found them on Amazon for $19.xx plus tax, came to $21.50 with Prime.

Attachments:
    1. TomCat-Mole-trap.jpg

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

I’ll just add that they advise you to always wear gloves to keep the human scent off the trap. I’ve done just that and have caught moles this summer like I never could with the old plunger traps.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yes KS, that is the metal version of the TomCat.

The plunger styles traps are frustrating at best.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I hate those #$%$# like the plague. When I get one I get an extra sense of gratification/glee. I got three in one day and wanted a framed 8×10 but the wife said “not a chance”.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I couldn’t agree more BK, I have a cardboard box full of different types of mole traps, that one you set with your foot is the best of the bunch!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I hate those #$%$# like the plague. When I get one I get an extra sense of gratification/glee. I got three in one day and wanted a framed 8×10 but the wife said “not a chance”.

Obviously she didn’t know how large of a feat a triple is.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

The golf courses use the metal scissor traps and so do I. I bet they are at about a 90% success rate for me, unless I didn’t step on them hard enough.

milemark_714

The Wire Tek 1001s are the best trap,bar none.The Victor out of sight traps are a PITA to set.I had a few trip the plunger type,and dug around the tripped trap,and no mole.The success rate with the 1001s so far is 100%.Well worth the extra money.

I would not even think about using the pellets,and those worms are laughable.And if something got a hold of the poisoned mole and chowed it,it would also be going down.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

So how do the carcasses work for cat bait? devil

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

mole cheeks are delish

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Our fam attended the Masters Of The Sky seminar at Carpenter Nature Center this spring.

The demise of the Barn Owl is apparently linked to the use of poison for mice. The adult sees a sluggish mouse and takes it back to it’s nest and the whole nest dies.

I would imagine it’s the same for a poisoned mole for other birds and animals.

Mole cheeks and morels… We call it M and M’s.

Nice Fella

Just picked up a couple of the Tomcats at Home Depot in Hudson. Couldn’t wait to get ’em installed. Took a little spading as BK mentioned to get the slots set.
    And now I wait…
    “I smell varmint poontang. And the only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang, I think.”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Good Luck Nice Fella!

BTW I’ll have two mole traps for sale in the classifieds. They are not the easiest to set but they’ve worked well for me.

Attachments:
    1. 1.jpg

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Dumb question, but are these tomcat traps re-usable? Any danger to dogs?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve only had my two since the middle of last season. But reusable yes.

The jaws are underground…I spose if your dawg digs one up there could be trouble. Kinda would depend on your dog…

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

That’d probably be okay, she’s not much of a digger(except in the kiddie pool for some reason).

I’m going to pick one of these up, glad you posted about them!

Rod Bent

I have had good luck with the battery operated mole repeller. Keep the neighbor’s moles out. Northern Tool had a good one.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Moles have nearly destroyed my yard. I have sandy soil and it’s bumpy in a lot of areas now because of the moles. Two years ago, I trapped 3 with the Victor Out of Sight trap, but couldn’t get any last year with the Victors and I even added the loop style. I also have some smaller runs, not sure if those are voles?

I live somewhat rural, on five acres and I probably mow 1 – 1.5 acres. Had just about given up, but maybe I will try this “new” trap!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve had good luck using the “Tin Cat” mouse trap for voles. The little tunnels are around our foundation and I just place the trap up against the foundation like I’m trapping mice. Check it after a month and peel out what’s left.

lindyrig79

Just had to share…. I bought two of the Wire Tek 1001s and finally got two moles this past weekend! I was seriously so happy I had all but given up. And the funny part was my 6 yr old son was just as happy as I was. He was jumping around and fist pumping and cheering LOL! I think he knew it was war with the moles and the moles had been winning…. until now!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

LOL! Almost like the 4th of July!

lindyrig79

Yes… pretty close BK! Here’s a pic. Also, from your guy’s experience can you get the mole population under control and be mole free for awhile? Or it is pretty much a constant battle?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3896.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ewwe…go wash your hands!

It will depend on your neighbors and what’s in your lawn they want to eat.

I spread some kind of grub killer on the lawn in the spring and the one or two moles that come over from the neighbors (sooner or later) get trapped. It’s more about getting rid of what they are eating then trapping them although they sometimes do catch the edge of my lawn.

wkw

We had a lot of moles until I killed the grubs. Haven’t seen one since. I think it was called Diazinine ?

lindyrig79

Hmmm.. not what I was hoping to hear. Looks like that would cost me $100-$140 per year in grub killer. Add that on top of all the other “yard” maintenance costs I already have..? ???

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.