New take on 1/2 ton tires

• mudhole

Don’t hate me but I’m starting another tire thread.

I have a different take than most other questions here.

F150 Lariat with 87k miles on original Goodyear Wrangler Adventure. All be it they have gone longer than I should have let them, but they are really not THAT bad. Most here want the best off road traction…well I am looking for the best smooth and QUIET ride I can find. The truck is a 2016 and I have never taken it off road so that is not a concern. I just want a quiet and comfortable ride. To be honest looking for tires is making my head hurt. Should I just go with the Wranglers again?

If it matters…275/55R20.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Falken wild peak did me very well. I really liked them over my duratracks and wranglers. And you save some cash. They went through snow, ice, mud, wet grass and smooth on the road.

Coletrain27

If you got that many out of the last set then I would just go with the same thing whistling

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Whoops didn’t read that it’s a road truck only. Scratch that. Just buy a basic Firestone

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Quit thinking hard and don’t change a thing. Put the same tires on it.

I’m currently running the same things Bearcat mentioned above. They’ve been solid, but are essentially the opposite of what you’re considering for use

mudhole

I should say, I didn’t mind the Wranglers at all. And I may just take the advise from a couple above and stick with them. Just wondering if there is something even quieter.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I replaced my wranglers on my 14 with new Kevlar wranglers and I’m happy with them.

michael keehr

I have a set of Michelin ltx at2 on my work truck they are very quiet and still get good traction in the snow. I have 68000 miles on them now and think I can get another 15000 on them before I even get close to being shot.

queenswake
    NULL

I’ve been facing the same decision lately. I have the stock Goodyears on my F150 and have been annoyed at the lack of traction this winter (sliding down a sloped driveway when in park) and getting easily stuck in deep snow a couple of times. However, like you, I enjoy the quiet ride and I know my wife would tire more easily on long road trips if I got the beefier BF Goodrich like I’ve had on past trucks. They are just louder and you have to ask yourself is it worth it to get more traction on a couple days a year at the expense of the ride the rest of the year. Especially since this is my daily driver.

Stanley

I have the same truck mudhole and I have the Michelin defender LTX on it. Great tire for what you are looking for. Only down side for me is winter traction isn’t what I’m used to in a truck tire. My other truck has duratrac’s on it and they are a better tire if traction is your #1 priority. I would say either stick with what you had if you liked them or try the Michelins.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Michelin LTX AT2, quiet, good traction in snow and great ride.

PmB

Michelin ltx at2

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Michelin LTX AT2 load range E on my currant and last 2 trucks.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Looking for some grippy tires? I went off brand name for the first time in 30 years and am pretty impressed with the Venom Power Terra Hunter tires for my GMC. Still spendy but not too bad. I figured they would be noisy down the highway and yes but not terribly loud. Only one winter but its a sweet tire IMO
    https://simpletire.com/brands/venom-power-tires/terra-hunter-m-t#curationPos=none&curationSeq=none&curationSource=none&itemId=206915&mpn=TVPMT13&pageSource=PDP&productPos=none&region=r7&tireSize=lt275-55r20&userRegion=7

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I had Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires on my GMC Sierra. Served me well enough but found when on icy gravel roads, chasing coyotes through fields, or driving down muddy level B roads, they weren’t doing it for me. This fall I got new Kenda Klever AT2 tires and am loving them. They grip well in all above situations, plus I find the treads to be more aggressive but quieter on the highway. Plus they’re 3 peak rated, have a 55,000 mile warranty and cost substantially less then most other big names out there.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Michelin Defender LTX M/S is another great option. I think they provided a better ride and were maybe quieter than the stock Wranglers on the F150.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Michelin Defender LTX M/S is another great option. I think they provided a better ride and were maybe quieter than the stock Wranglers on the F150.

X2 – Been very happy with them. Quiet ride, good traction, long life. Run them on a Silverado 1500

Umy
    South Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Jarl wrote:</div>

X2 – Been very happy with them. Quiet ride, good traction, long life. Run them on a Silverado 1500

X3 – Good ride, good traction in winter and mud 2010 F150
    My truck is loud cause of its age, not its tires

Karry Kyllo

If you got 87k miles on your original Goodyear Wrangler Adventures, why even think about anything else?

mnfisherman18

Michelin Defender LTX. Sounds like you don’t need the AT2’s, LTX’s have treated me well all winter and last forever.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The Goodyears you had are an awesome tire. The smoothest, quietest ride would be the Michelin Defender LTX. If your near the north metro I can order them and install them for you.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Add a 6″ lift and some 22″ wheels with some 35″ mud tires and have fun. LOL
    I would stick with the Good Years also, I had them on my F150 and they were very quite and smooth riding at Highway seeds.

mojogunter

Just don’t buy Firestone Transforce AT. They have come on the last 4 Rams I bought. Mine were all junk, and I have had to replace each set between 24-28k miles. The last set I had to keep until 34k only because what I wanted to replace them with were backordered for more than 6 months, and as winter was setting in I ended up buying new Falken’s only because that is all I could get, but they turned out to be good tires.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just don’t buy Firestone Transforce AT. They have come on the last 4 Rams I bought. Mine were all junk, and I have had to replace each set between 24-28k miles. The last set I had to keep until 34k only because what I wanted to replace them with were backordered for more than 6 months, and as winter was setting in I ended up buying new Falken’s only because that is all I could get, but they turned out to be good tires.

I’m looking for tires for the ram right now. Has those transforces on them. I need a more aggressive all terrain but obviously something for heavier truck and towing. What do you normally run on your ram

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Bearcat they make the Goodyear Adventure AT in load range E if you like them or the old stand by BFG KO’s.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bearcat they make the Goodyear Adventure AT in load range E if you like them or the old stand by BFG KO’s.

I’m going to look in to them. Thanks buddy

vtec

Mudhole that is fantastic mileage out of those tires. I’ve never had anything even come close.

mojogunter

I had been running LT285/60R-20 General Grabber A/TX and they have been very good for me. Much more aggressive tread and were really quiet. They normally would last about 45-50k miles. The last set of new tires I bought due to the generals being backordered were FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T3W. I put about 15k miles on those before I bought my last truck, and they were wearing well and I liked them as much as the grabbers. I have 10k on the new truck, so most likely I will be looking at new tires again next fall. frown

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojogunter wrote:</div>

I’m looking for tires for the ram right now. Has those transforces on them. I need a more aggressive all terrain but obviously something for heavier truck and towing. What do you normally run on your ram

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.