New Rapala Rods/Reels?

• Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Has anyone had their hands on the new Rapala rods or reels? Specifically the Shift spinning reel? From the little searching I’ve done, it looks like it’s been available for a couple years in Canada, but new this year in the states.

Anyway, just looking for a little feedback before purchasing.

Thanks,
    Andy

Yellow Fever
    Kingston Ontario

They make really nice rods….no idea what took them so long to market the US? Lack of fishing interest?

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I remember in the late 90s/early 2000s Rapala had their own line of rods and fishing line. I distinctly remember picking up a 6 ft’ medium action rod and lightly bending the tip with my hand. I then distinctly remember the rod breaking into two pieces.

I tried their fishing line back then too and I didn’t like it at all. It seemed to break a lot more than my normal line.

I’m not saying their new rods/reels are garbage, they are probably quite nice, but just a trip down memory lane.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

When I bought my Lund in 2004, it came with a rapala package. A large soft sided tackle bag full of rapalas, there must have been at least 75, 12v fillet knife, fishing line, terminal tackle and two rapala rods and two rapala reels. I like them and still have them in the rotation. They both have caught many 20 to 27 inch walleyes here on lake mille lacs and are still in good shape for their age and amount of use. If the new ones are produced by a different company, well then everything I just explained is mute.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I have a few of the older Rapala Sportsman 7′ rods that I use for casting cranks for eyes. They’ve treated me very well for years, and have caught a ton of fish.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Thanks for the replies guys. I too remember the older Rapala rods and still own a couple.

The new ones are more spendy but the online reviews sound pretty good. I just wish I could actually hold one in hand before dropping that kind of money.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.