New rain gear suggestions

• brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

My 10 year old Guidewear has seen better days, looking to replace it soon. I was thinking of getting another set, but curious as to what others have experienced with other brands. All replies appreciated.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’m a huge fan of my Frabill F2 rain gear. Replaced an old pair of FXE’s last year and I have been very happy with them. Lightweight, pockets and vents are in a great location and they work very well in the rain.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I haven’t tested my strikemaster ice fishing suit in the rain but I believe they are waterproof plus they float so that adds added safety for in the boat. I plan on using mine in cold weather situations on the boat as rain gear. For warm weather I have a few other jackets that work. I used to spend a lot of time researching rain gear and buying fancy suits but after a while I realized that you can get buy fine with some frog toggs or a nice PVC suit. If you wanted to stick with guidewaer I don’t think you can go wrong with that

DMHEID
    Bismarck, ND

Finally threw away my cheap ran gear last year and got into some Simm’s challenger gear. It fits so nice that I wouldn’t care if it was sub par at keeping me dry, but it does a fantastic job at that as well. I ran a tiller as well so I usually have it on when running from spot to spot.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I wear grundens weather boss hooded parka… Nothing but good to say about it. Tough as Carhartt.

Bibs I wear HH rubber PVC.

My gear gets ran through the ringer. I stay dry and comfortable.

My two cents.

I would buy both again no questions.

Oh, and you’ll see me in a sandhamn 21 hat too.

Bill Douglas
    Brookings, SD

I have Guidewear and really like it. My son texted me this morning asking about Huk as he found 1/2 price rain wear on hukgear.com. 1/2 price is always good.
    wmd

Brad Hak

I use the “Thunder Rage” by Onyx and I love it. Have not had any issues in the three years I have been running them.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I usually shop the clearance rack at REI. I picked a full Patagonia rain suit for under a $100. Worth a look if you have one close to you.

Rick Janssen

To me the big question is – what temps do you fish in? I have some Frogg Toggs that I wear in the summer on canoe trips. Very waterproof, lightweight and breathable. I would NOT recommend these for any cooler temps as air goes right through which is what I need for summer. For cooler temps and nasty weather, the above suggestions are right on.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I bought a pair of frogg toggs several years ago. Jacket and bibs.

Both are meant for really short people… Anyway

Wore it once during a downpour and never again. Soaked.

404 ERROR
    MN

I bought a pair of frogg toggs several years ago. Jacket and bibs.

Both are meant for really short people… Anyway

Wore it once during a downpour and never again. Soaked.

I wear Frogg Toggs while trail riding ATV’s. They work pretty good for mud and the occasional water hole splash. Downpour? Like you said, not a chance.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I wear a suit from marmot. Best rain gear I’ve ever owned.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I haven’t tested my strikemaster ice fishing suit in the rain but I believe they are waterproof plus they float so that adds added safety for in the boat

I think you’ll find it is not a rain suit…

Though out of the box they are pretty waterproof, that goes away over time.

jonesry09

I don’t fish on the ice much since I am usually working in Europe during the winter. I was looking at getting an ice suit for the spring/fall and when I am back for some ice fishing. You guys have any advice on a good all around suit for these needs? I fricken hate being cold (don’t we all) as I have a few older injuries that don’t do well when the bones get chilled. Thanks guys.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

For ice fishing I have a Frabill I4 that keeps me warm. Just wear my regular clothes and a hoodie underneath it.

I don’t fish on the ice much since I am usually working in Europe during the winter. I was looking at getting an ice suit for the spring/fall and when I am back for some ice fishing. You guys have any advice on a good all around suit for these needs? I fricken hate being cold (don’t we all) as I have a few older injuries that don’t do well when the bones get chilled. Thanks guys.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.