New pike rod

• Jer

I have been musky fishing since I was kid. I always caught pike in the process but never specifically targeted them or built a rod and reel combo for them specifically. That is changing now. I recently moved right down the road to an excellent bass and pike lake and am putting together specific equipment for them.

I bought this rod: https://daiwaproductshowcase.com/collections/rods/products/tatula-bass-rods

And I bought this reel (ha model):

My thinking was it should be adequate as a do all rod for pike and bass. However, the 13.2 max drag had me a bit worried if I should have gone heavier. I have already pulled out 30+Inch pike from my lake and know there are bigger ones in here. I want to make sure I have the appropriate stage setting to handle the fish I am after. Thoughts on combo for my purposes? This particular setup is going to be used mainly for throwing spinner baits, in-line spinners like mepps 5, and buzzbaits.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Not sure by the links what you bought. What I can say is don’t worry about the drag. That’s plenty. I’ve been using Amabassadeur’s for many years at 15#. You can always thumb the spool if you really want more. Say 36+ pike headed for the weeds.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Also not sure from your link what model rod you purchased. As long as its a 7 to 7 1/2 Ft rod rated either Medium heavy or Heavy you should be fine. Finding a setup that works great for both larger Pike and Bass may be difficult. The rod is either probably going to be a little to stiff for the bass fishing or not stiff enough for a large pike. I would probably pick a setup that works best for the species you plan to fish the most often. You may end up getting a different setup for the other species a little later.

The tatula should be a excellent reel for the bass fishing and should also hold up well for the larger pike. The best reel I’ve found for double duty on both bass and large pike is the old shimano curado’s in the 300 size. I have several of them that have held up great for almost 20 years now. I switch them from my bass rods to my pike rods when I go to Canada.

Jer

Sorry about the links. I thought it would bring you to the correct page. The rod is the 7.3 casting rod MH power fast action. The reel is the tatula ct 100hs. It is rated to 30 or 40 lbs braided line and drag max 13.2. Funny thing is I never payed attention to drag setting on my musky gear and have brought in 48 inch musky but those reels have drag settings up in the 15-20lb range. Mine aren’t cranked down by any means but since this is a catch all rod it got me thinking. I obviously can use some of my musky gear for pike focused fishing but the lake I live by has a lot of bass and a lot of pike and you can catch them both in the same spots. That is why I am looking for a pike/bass rod. Most of my bass rods are medium. I figured going with a MH fast action would cover both bases. It is rated 3/8 to 1 ounce which allows for some bigger lures to target the pike. My biggest concern is the reel but I think having up to 13 lbs of drag should be adequate. Just wanted to get opinions.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I believe 13 Lbs of Drag should be enough for all but the Biggest Pike. The Shimano Curado that I fish has 18Lbs. on the low speed and I think 22 lbs on the high speed. Those have held up on Pike up to the mid 40″ size on fish in Canada.

blank

I wouldn’t be concerned with the drag. Combined with the action and power of the rod, I think you’ll be fine. Having an appropriate sized reel and rod for the fishing style and lures should be more important than the max drag weight.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.