New MN Law to effect All Ice Anglers

• Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Like this is an ice only problem. Walk down any road. Especially thoroughfares……

Exactly. A lot of slobs out there.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If urine is included in this statute they are going to have a field day on Red! The DNR seems to use that lake for a DNR training ground and with all the sleeper rentals that are out there they’ll be fining every house every week regardless of how well contained the trash is.

I think I’ve fished URL 7 or 8 times and haven’t been checked nor seen a CO.

We’ve always worked really hard to stay as far away from people as possible though…like half mile to the nearest shack

Reed

I’ve had a different experience, but I also rent and don’t have control of where the house is placed in relation to other shacks. I can honestly say they’ve visited us 5 times in the last 10 years to check on licenses and fish. 2 years ago they came by twice in 4 days.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    That’s incorrect. Its states “the body of a dead animal…or other waste.”

A fish you intend to keep it not considered waste. Obviously you wouldn’t want to filet it and then toss the carcass on the ice though. Or a dead carp. Or unused bait.

Once a fish is out of the water long enough it dies. Sounds like I need to bring x2 five-gallon buckets with and a rope to tie it to my house. One to pee in and one for my fish and minnow tails. Hope I don’t mix them up throughout the night.

rotflol

Brittman

It won’t get enforced unless the county sheriff has a cabin on said lake.

Brittman

The game warden(s) on Red Lake always seem to be active and rather stealthy. Check licenses, count lines in the water, move on to the next house.

FinnyDinDin

I just told my dog to start saving her allowance because her turds are gonna cost her.

Maybe they should have just enforced the littering law. Hopefully there is some officer discretion on this.

I pick up lots of other peoples trash on the ice. I don’t think this law is going to do anything to change those slobs behavior.

MX1825

The fine should be more than $100. Make it $500. Write a few tickets and word will get around. Most, not all, trash will get picked up. JMO

Also resorts are profiting from the lake, should they be supplying a dumpster for people that pay to use their access?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We do a clean up day on chisago every late season and collect a truck box full of litter. I’m guessing it won’t change that but I hope it does.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

We do a clean up day on chisago every late season and collect a truck box full of litter. I’m guessing it won’t change that but I hope it does.

A lot of lake associations do an annual spring lake clean up after the ice melts. I don’t live on a lake so I’m not in said association. The people that live there want their lakes as free of trash and rubbish as possible so this helps when all that crap from winter is floating after the ice melts.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

A lot of lake associations do an annual spring lake clean up after the ice melts. I don’t live on a lake so I’m not in said association. The people that live there want their lakes as free of trash and rubbish as possible so this helps when all that crap from winter is floating after the ice melts.

I’m not part of any association nor live on the lake. Just fish it often

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

No, I knew that. I was just pointing out that there usually is an annual clean up on many lakes.

I still remember the story you told me of the guy who let his dog crap right outside your house and you said you were going to put it on the windshield of his truck if he didn’t clean it up. LOL

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

No, I knew that. I was just pointing out that there usually is an annual clean up on many lakes.

I still remember the story you told me of the guy who let his dog crap right outside your house and you said you were going to put it on the windshield of his truck if he didn’t clean it up. LOL

Lol yeah, that guy didn’t like me much. I thought cleaning up after animals was common sense

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I thought cleaning up after animals was common sense

We need a law…wait…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I thought cleaning up after animals was common sense

We need a law…wait…

The problem with laws like this is there’s already laws in place for this very thing and I seem to not see enforcement. The mn government short staffs the dnr and then piles them with laws that are hard to enforce. Johnny law has to be present to enforce the law, wait that’s the issue from the start

CaptainMusky

That is precisely why politicians should not be making game and fish laws. The DNR is in charge of managing our fisheries and should be tasked with that and if they do not have sufficient funding for said laws they shouldnt be introduced.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hopefully this helps and works. But scum bags are scum bags.
    Littering is just something I can’t wrap my head around.

FinnyDinDin

I pick up my dogs turds if they are on someone’s land. It never happens unless I travel because my dog has an underground fence in my yard. I have never picked one up off the ice. Do people actually care about that? I am not about to change but I am genuinely curious if people are actually are bothered by dog poo on the ice.

My dog is trained not to drop logs next to all the rocks on the ice by the landing.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I pick up my dogs turds if they are on someone’s land. It never happens unless I travel because my dog has an underground fence in my yard. I have never picked one up off the ice. Do people actually care about that? I am not about to change but I am genuinely curious if people are actually are bothered by dog poo on the ice.

My dog is trained not to drop logs next to all the rocks on the ice by the landing.

Does it change your mind if it’s dog crap vs human crap ? Generally curious.

Riverrat

Oh could you imagine, a dog that poops on the ice, and brings sticks and branches onto the landing to put next to the rocks.

Ryan Schwartz

Agree with the lack of enforcement. I’ve never been visited by a Game Warden while ice fishing in MN, although I have been in WI.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

We will see if this works

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20231201_190804_Messages.jpg

FinnyDinDin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FinnyDinDin wrote:</div>

Does it change your mind if it’s dog crap vs human crap ? Generally curious.

You didn’t answer the question.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

[/quote]

I could care less if I don’t have to fish around it. If your to lazy to clean up after the dog stay home. The only time I care is when the dogs are crapping all over the area we fish. Then the kids have to run around it drag through it.
    Can’t throw rocks on the ice but crapping all over is OK. Odd. Pretty simple to pick it up and bag the crap. Who wants a pile of poop out side there shack ? Now like I asked if I came and took a dump around you on the ice would you care ?

FinnyDinDin

I could care less if I don’t have to fish around it. If your to lazy to clean up after the dog stay home. The only time I care is when the dogs are crapping all over the area we fish. Then the kids have to run around it drag through it.
    Can’t throw rocks on the ice but crapping all over is OK. Odd. Pretty simple to pick it up and bag the crap. Who wants a pile of poop out side there shack ? Now like I asked if I came and took a dump around you on the ice would you care ?
    [/quote]

It sure sounds like you could care less.

I don’t fish any metro waters, busy lakes or community holes so my dogs turds won’t be around anyones houses. If your house is around my dogs turds it’s because you moved in on a spot we have been fishing. Busiest lake I fish is red and I’m always a looonng way from anyone. Sounds like you fish around lots of company. That’s not for me but if I did dog would stay home.

If you came around me and dropped a load I would find it odd and a bit humorous because it would take effort to do so.

If anyone knows anything about the citations on red that crappie posted about or elsewhere I’d be interested to know. I’m curious how tight the CO’s are gonna enforce this one. I hate trash on the ice and pick up tons every year. But this law could go way overboard if enforced to the letter of the law.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Also resorts are profiting from the lake, should they be supplying a dumpster for people that pay to use their access?

Resorts and guides make a very nice profit off the public’s resources. They should be taxed heavily for such profit. And In this case. Should provide dumpsters (and garbage pick up) and out houses.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

My dogs poop in the woods at my property. But. I have seen them walk out on the lake in front of my house and take a crap. I promise you I am never going to walk out there and pick up that crap. If it bugs the DNR that bad if they can pick it up themselves.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

[/quote]

Last year I was catching fish on the lake I live on. My dogs took a big dump right around the area we were fishing. Two days later, I saw dudes using that pile of turds as a marker for where the fish were.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I fished Rush Lake once. I was absolutely disgusted how people left trash everywhere. Never fished a lake near the cities on the ice ever again. With that said, I am happy. I am blissfully ignorant up here in the Northwoods. Until these posts this week. I had no idea dog poop, and rocks were such a big issue.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I read it as making sure people put trash and poop bags in a container so they dont freeze into the ice or blow away resulting in stuff left on the ice. I doubt they will ticket for taking a wazz on the ice. And not cleaning up after your dog is just plain lazy, regardless of where you are. The same entitlement you guys are displaying on that is the same as the guys dumping their sewage while driving down the road.

Ever been on a sled dog trail? Gross… but I doubt the dnr will ticket them too. People just need to have common sense and clean up after they’re done. You know, like you were taught in kindergarten.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.