New MN Law to effect All Ice Anglers

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources

Big changes are coming for all ice anglers this winter!

A new law is in effect related to storing garbage and other waste (in all its forms) left on the ice. While the impetus for the law was increased dumping of sewage from permanent fish houses, it will affect all ice anglers, regardless of the type of shelter they use. Specifically, people using an ice shelter, vehicle or other conveyance on the ice may not deposit “garbage, rubbish, cigarette filters, debris from fireworks, offal, the body of a dead animal, litter, sewage or any other waste outside the shelter, motor vehicle or conveyance, unless the material is placed in a container that is secured to the shelter, motor vehicle or conveyance, and not placed directly on the ice or in state waters.”

The law is aimed at ensuring everyone who uses the ice can do so without encountering garbage and other substances that are not only a potential environmental concern, but an eyesore that takes away from a quality experience for winter recreationists of all kinds. During the winter, complaints about litter left on the ice are among the most common that DNR conservation officers receive. They take these complaints seriously and work to locate violators. The penalty for a violation is a petty misdemeanor and carries a fine of $100.

Make a plan to store your garbage when you head out ice fishing. If you can’t store it inside your vehicle, bring colored garbage bags, a sturdy waste receptacle that won’t break in cold and the proper tools to secure them to your shelter, motor vehicle, snowmobile, trailer or other vehicles you drive out on the ice.

Garbage and human/pet waste do not belong on the ice. Take off what you take on! Read the new statute at https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/97C.363.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I remember the state legislature passing this law in the summer when that massive outdoors bill was passed.

Might be difficult to enforce though.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Who’s going to enforce these laws ? I haven’t seen law enforcement on the ice let alone checking anglers for anything in a long time. A 100 dollar fine is pretty petty. I like to see the threat bit I hardly believe it will impact the scum bags who litter all over.

Kraig5858

Who’s going to enforce these laws ? I haven’t seen law enforcement on the ice let alone checking anglers for anything in a long time. A 100 dollar fine is pretty petty. I like to see the threat bit I hardly believe it will impact the scum bags who litter all over.

Talk to your local county sheriff: Two years ago I and my neighbor went out and hauled 2 big pickup loads of garbage off a 762 acre lake early in Feb. Took it to the county sheriffs office and showed it to them—things did improve.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Think of it as being enforced like speeding. Out of 100,000 people that speed every day they might ticket 100. The warden walks up to your shack for a typical check and noticed garbage on the ice. They write a ticket. I don’t think the point is to catch everyone who leaves garbage on the ice.

The rules above seem really reasonable to me.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

This will change nothing, the good people are already doing this in some form and the d bags are what they are and won’t change. coffee

deertracker

A 100 dollar fine is pretty petty.

But add in the court surcharge of $75 and the law library fee and it will be over $200.
    DT

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

It is always sad to see the amount of trash left on lakes and even in public hunting areas. I do feel like lakes get way worse though. Hopefully this helps a little. I always take back what I bring on the ice/woods.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The warden walks up to your shack for a typical check and noticed garbage on the ice. They write a ticket.

I don’t think that’s how it works. Presuming that items left on the ice near the closest shack is likely not enough evidence, especially if there’s a lot of houses or anglers around. The shack could simply say it’s not theirs. The only way to get someone is to have them admit to it or catch them in the act.

However, as the law is written, if you are on the ice in a vehicle, ATV, shack, etc and you are not storing waste or trash inside, you must have a designated trash receptacle to store it in outside of that conveyance or shelter, otherwise you can be cited. And it has to be physically attached too.

Riverrat

People worried about rocks on the ice, I wouldn’t want to hit a pile of turds.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

However, as the law is written, if you are on the ice in a vehicle, ATV, shack, etc and you are not storing waste or trash inside, you must have a designated trash receptacle to store it in outside of that conveyance or shelter, otherwise you can be cited. And it has to be physically attached too.

Yes. That precisely what I meant.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

the body of a dead animal

So I can’t toss my fish outside the door anymore without putting it in a container that is tied to the house?

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Sad that it even has to come to this. “Outdoorsmen” who leave trash behind aren’t outdoorsmen at all.

It’s so simple- grocery store plastic bags. Stuff a few of them into your glove box, into your tackle box, boat storage, EDC pack, etc. When you have trash, BOOM- now you have a trash bag. Doesn’t cost anything.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

This will change nothing, the good people are already doing this in some form and the d bags are what they are and won’t change. coffee

I believe you hit it on the head John…

CaptainMusky

So I can’t toss my fish outside the door anymore without putting it in a container that is tied to the house?

Imagine the bait tossed onto the ice if that is the case too! This is why politicians shouldnt be making game and fish laws. They have no clue.

fishinfool
    mn

$500 fine on the spot or go directly to jail.
    That might help.
    Doubt it though, as Jon said scumbags will be scumbags.

FF

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Klawitter wrote:</div>
    the body of a dead animal

That’s incorrect. Its states “the body of a dead animal…or other waste.”

A fish you intend to keep it not considered waste. Obviously you wouldn’t want to filet it and then toss the carcass on the ice though. Or a dead carp. Or unused bait.

Riverrat

Starting to get an idea who the problem people are

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Subd. 2.Definition. For purposes of this section, “sewage” means excrementitious or other discharge from the bodies of human beings or animals, together with such other water as may be present.

If I’m reading this correctly you will also will need something to pizz into. Going to be hard to train the dog to take a leak in a bucket….

But I get it. Wheel house uses the indoor pisser all weekend, then dump the tank on the lake on the way out. That needs to be stopped.

-J.

Deuces

People worried about rocks on the ice, I wouldn’t want to hit a pile of turds.

Some of the holiday meal guys be posting here next day could take out whole front ends

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

That’s incorrect. Its states “the body of a dead animal…or other waste.”

A fish you intend to keep it not considered waste. Obviously you wouldn’t want to filet it and then toss the carcass on the ice though. Or a dead carp. Or unused bait.

Once a fish is out of the water long enough it dies. Sounds like I need to bring x2 five-gallon buckets with and a rope to tie it to my house. One to pee in and one for my fish and minnow tails. Hope I don’t mix them up throughout the night.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

If I’m reading this correctly you will also will need something to pizz into

Ha. So the DNR gonna be writing tickets for every shack they see with yellow snow around it?

“Sorry officer not my pizz. Of course, if you’d like to stand there while i relieve myself on your boots ill gladly pay the fine”

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Hope I don’t mix them up throughout the night.

Hahahaha. Gross

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I don’t think the point is to catch everyone who leaves garbage on the ice.

Not sure if that is the point or not, But it should be. Write enough 100.00 tickets a day and you can pay for more enforcement.

CaptainMusky

“Sorry officer not my pizz. Of course, if you’d like to stand there while i relieve myself on your boots ill gladly pay the fine”

I laughed way too hard at this!

JoeMX1825
    MN

what about sunflower seed shells? is that considered garbage? I ask because i’m a chronic seeds eater while I fish…

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The dog poop is going to be a interesting one. See this one all the time. I like dogs as much as the next person, But not a big fan when people bring their dog out fishing and let it run all over the place. I’ve had dogs pick up and carry off fish ( Good training by the owner if that was something taught ) Had dogs pee all over my tires and almost anything laying on the ice, Had them get tangled up in my line, ect. Like anyplace else, If you can not control your dog, Leave it at home or tie it on a leash.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

what about sunflower seed shells? is that considered garbage? I ask because i’m a chronic seeds eater while I fish…

Yes.

-J.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Like anyplace else, If you can not control your dog, Leave it at home or tie it on a leash.

Fully agree, no different than any other environment.

Tells you how many dog owners out there don’t train adequately if their pooch is running amuck on the ice.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Great! another law for which we already have.

Kinda like drafting a law that says you cannot use your phone while driving.

Have to love them lawmakers for all the “feel good” laws they create. Gives me the warm fuzzy feeling knowing the ice will be spotless this season.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.