New Lazer Mag is super hard to start

• Dan Baker

I just picked up a brand new Strikemaster Lazer Mag Solo 2.5 horse. I’ve been out twice and started it up in my garage a couple of times. Each time it is incredibly difficult to start. Last night it took over 40 pulls. To the point, I almost gave up. Once it’s running, it seems to work great. The engine sounds good and it cuts fast, but at 40 pulls, I’m losing my patience. I feel like I’m doing the procedure right: New 40:1 trufuel, prime it 7-10 times, switch to on, blue compression button pushed before every pull. Can anyone think of anything I’m doing wrong? Storing it inside my home is not an option, so I need it to be able to start cold.

Thanks,
    Dan

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

That’s definitely not right. Mine starts on 3 pulls without priming it. I suspect there’s something preventing fuel from entering the carb. The best advice is to bring it to D-rock if you’re nearby. If it is new, it really shouldn’t cost you anything to get fixed. They really know their stuff and wind BS you about the known issues.

John Timm

Do you fully choke it? Mine starts around 5 pulls every
    time.

Dan Baker

Yes, I have the choke set to start

CaptainMusky

Here is my routine to start mine. Turn the switch on (duh, I know), prime the bulb 3 or 4 times and put choke on full. Pull the cord until the engine pops, then turn off the choke. Pull it again, starts right up. Might need to feather the choke a bit at first, but this has worked for me without issue. Never takes more than 4 pulls.
    I learned this because my stihl chainsaw can be a real PITA to start. It is the same way, except no primer. Once the engine fires, turn off the choke and it usually starts right up next pull.
    I would imagine that long before 40 pulls yours became flooded. Next time if you are having issues, hold the throttle wide open while you pull and it should start faster, gets more air in when the machines get flooded.

AlligatorDundee

These flood easy. Real easy.
    For days. Do not prime if there is gas in the bulb.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I was kinda thinking this too as I wrote my reply.

Dan Baker

Oh, really? If there is gas in the bulb, i shouldn’t prime? I wonder if that is what the problem is? I can smell gas while trying to start it, so maybe it is flooded. Thanks for the tip!

CaptainMusky

Right, I should have clarified that. I only prime mine if it has been a while since its been started.

Oh, really? If there is gas in the bulb, i shouldn’t prime? I wonder if that is what the problem is? I can smell gas while trying to start it, so maybe it is flooded. Thanks for the tip!

If you smell gas it most certainly is flooded. Pull the plug out and pull it over a few times without the plug in there, then give it a shot again. I cannot remember if these things come with Champion spark plugs or not, but if you foul one of them, they are garbage.

CaptainMusky

I fish everyday

Which is why you only prime once a season. I fish weekends at best and between outings a week a part the primer needs to be used.
    Your usage and mine are like my dad and me comparing how we use our ATVs. I complain mine starts hard when I start it once a month. He uses his daily and he says it “pops right off”. Well duh. -)

Dan Baker

So if I see any gas in the bulb, I shouldn’t use the primer?

AlligatorDundee

I would always try without first. Yes that is what I do. If I see gas in bulb. I DO NOT PRIME. Starts 2 pulls always.

If it sits for weeks with no starting you may have to give it two to three pumps until you see gas in bulb.

I forget mine even has a bulb.

AlligatorDundee

I always leave the switch to the on position as well and use the decompression to kill the motor.

I forget it even has an on off switch.

broman

Here is my routine to start mine. Turn the switch on (duh, I know), prime the bulb 3 or 4 times and put choke on full. Pull the cord until the engine pops, then turn off the choke. Pull it again, starts right up. Might need to feather the choke a bit at first, but this has worked for me without issue. Never takes more than 4 pulls.

Same routine for me. Turn it to on. Prime until I see gas in the bulb, then push in decompression button, set to choke, pull If it pops, turn it to run, then pull again. If run doesn’t start, push compression, choke pull again until it pops, then set to run, pull again. Choke and run over and over until it runs. You might have to hit the throttle when it starts running.

wgorby
    Greenville, Michigan

I hit the gas lever/throttle a few times before the first pull…other than that I do the same as stated above…always has started quick.

CaptainMusky

I would always try without first. Yes that is what I do. If I see gas in bulb. I DO NOT PRIME. Starts 2 pulls always.

This is probably the best thing to do in all honesty. Until you at least get used to “what” it likes to start. I know the first few times I tried starting mine when I got it I flooded that thing something fierce. I was so ticked!
    IMO they really don’t need a primer. It does help when its sat for a while, but in reality there isn’t a need for it on a small engine like this. My leaf blower has it too and when I forget which way the kill switch goes (doesn’t have ON or OFF just a “-” and a “o”) and I prime it a few times that thing is flooded too.
    Lay off the primer and only give it a press if you pull a few times and it doesn’t fire. It should fire after only a couple pulls even without using the primer. But if it does “pop” or fire, turn the choke off before you pull it the next time. It just seems to work best for me.
    After having my struggles with it the first time I read the “starting procedure” on the strikemaster manual and it pretty much followed what I described in my first post.

Bassn Dan

Same routine others have said, but I prime until I see gas coming OUT OF the primer gas line. If I was faster reaching from the recoil to the choke lever it would start on the first pull a lot of times. Best to under prime than over prime, and DO NOT forget to turn the on/off switch to ON. Not that I’ve done that…………

castle-rock-clown

Im betting on overpriming. Switch on, compression release in, full choke, pull till you hear it pop (but not more than 5 pulls), take off choke and it should start with the very next pull. If no pop in 5 pulls with choke on I will push the primer bulb 3 times, and repeat.

Dan Baker

Got home, did everything as before, except the primer. Started on first pull! Thanks a bunch everyone!

fygr8

Got home, did everything as before, except the primer. Started on first pull! Thanks a bunch everyone!

Good news! I have had mine for 5 years and never primed it once. Choke to full & pull. Never more than 3 pulls under any condition. I have also never used the decompression.

Bassn Dan

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan Baker wrote:</div>

Good news! I have had mine for 5 years and never primed it once. Choke to full & pull. Never more than 3 pulls under any condition. I have also never used the decompression.

The decompression button is there to also save stress on the recoil. A lot of people that don’t use it have had to replace their recoil unit on Solo augers.

AlligatorDundee

Use the decompression valve to kill It. This saves the recoil from the stress of motor pulling it back in.

Had to replace my TECUMSEH Lazer 224 recoil. It broke because of this. TECUMSEH reinforced it now with new part.

mh454
    ND

One thing I always do with my Solo Lazer is when starting it cold with the choke on full, crank till it fires then switch choke off to run before the next pull. It usually won’t run on choke unless it’s really cold. As others have mentioned these motors are very sensitive about being flooded. If you attempt to pull start too many times with the choke on then it will probably flood. If you suspect it’s flooded trying holding the throttle wide open with one hand while pull starting with the other (make sure choke is off also). This will sometimes get a flooded engine running.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.