New Jigging Rod

• Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

I wasn’t sure where to but this post so I figured the general would be as good as place as any.

I’m looking at buying a new rod for jigging walleyes. I am between the G Loomis IMX 6’6″ L , The 6’10” Mag light Walleye series from Loomis, and the St. Croix Legend tournament walleye rod 6’6″ ML. Any opinions on any of the above rods? I have had a lots of different rods and have decided that nothing compares to a Loomis. I have not tried a St. Croix and am curious if anyone has used both.

The rod would be used for pitching jigs/plastics and jigs/chubs. I jig all year long because I am not a real fan of trolling. I need a longer rod because my 6′ Light Loomis doesn’t hold up to the chubs and jigs too well.

Any input would be great, thanks!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

You don’t have your location in your profile, so Lord only knows where to suggest you stop in and check them out. Dean Marshall flips a lot of Croixs and he’ll often let guys test drive them. Most likely you’ll never get that from another dealer.

But at that price point, I wouldn’t sell yourself short. There are other manufactures that make in my opinion better rods at equal or lessor price point

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I would suggest a Med, Fast Action G Loomis, I have a couple of these and love them. The ML may be too soft for what you are describing.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

Sorry Randy! I am located in NE South Dakota. What other rods do you think are better? I am always open to looking at different brands if I haven’t tried them.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I love to jig fish for eyes and my go to rod the last couple of years are the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth rod. I believe they replaced it with their Bass spinning Rod. It is 6’10” Medlight extra fast tip. I have had a blast pitching 1/16oz to 1/2oz jigs. Plus they are about 1/2 the price or less so I can have more of them for the same money.

Spalj
    NULL

I have the Loomis GLX jigging pitching rod 6’10” and the St Croix Legend Tournament Vertical Jigging rod (older version, no split handle) and love them both. I tend to use the Loomis more because I have a Stradic CI4 1000 on it which is lighter than the regular Stradic 1000 on the St. Croix, but both are great rods.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

There was a brand of rod that for the life of me I can’t remember. They were being sold at the booth BK was at last year at the Sportsman show. I think they had them at Everts as well. They seemed like a pretty good value.
    I want to explore some of the non-mainstream rods this spring. I can only assume that TUCR makes a pretty decent open water rod.

I agree with Mocha, Fenwick makes a very nice rod at a good price.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

You didn’t mention what weight jigs you typically throw?? Anything heavier and popping through weeds in SD perhaps?

I use a St Croix Avid in 6’3″ ML and extra fast. For vertical jigging it rocks. For your use of pitching I would recommend more length. Mine works but getting it 6″ longer would be preferred. Something in the 6’9″ ML and XF if I had the money to get another. Maybe a medium action depending on the question above.

Didn’t think I would like an action that fast but for this purpose it seems to fit the bill nicely.

Sorry, I don’t have experience with those brands so can’t help there.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

7’6″ St. Croix Eyecom Medium Light, Extra Fast.

That’s my favorite jig/plastic combo. Own several of them. Great sensitivity and the XF tip is to handle the headshakes of bigger eyes and keep the hook in their lips.

Loomis is just a little too rich for my blood. I’ll spend that kind of money on a reel, but won’t on a rod…yet.

Jeff Schomaker

My vote would be Fenwick. You can buy 2-3 of them for the price of a Croix or Loomis. And that way you can get different lengths and actions instead of relying on one rod to do all the work. Unless you already have a boat full of rods. Then I would recommend the Croix. Nothing against Loomis. Just always been a bigger Croix fan.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Sorry Randy! I am located in NE South Dakota. What other rods do you think are better? I am always open to looking at different brands if I haven’t tried them.

SD over to Dean??? you could buy a couple rods for the gas money. I have no idea what dealers you have there and which rods you can get your hands on,.which is a bummer. Had this been comparing to Loomis rods of the 80’s, or 90’s, no doubt they were the leader in the market. But at about $235/rod now, I don’t think they lead the industry to command that kind of money.
    I guide with the Quantum Smoke, EXO’s, and some Falcon spinning and casting rods. For the price point, I’ve been very impressed with the Smokes. The EXO’s are nice, but when comparing $$$ to what you get, I think the smokes carry a better value – Even with them being an HSX70 blank design, super light.

I have a lot of guys get into my boat that bring their own gear. A lot of those guys leave their Loomis rods in the locker, and fish with the Quantums or the Falcons.

Here is the cons on these – 1. They don’t get the love woith most buyers. Zebco/Quantum doesn’t spend a lot of money on local advertising, so the get viewed as a “southern bass rod”. Falcon even more…. so you don’t see them in many stores up this way. Next, is rod selection. They don’t offer a huge spectrum of actions. I’ve been begging for a 7’6″ ML / X-fast for a couple years. Its not a high demand rod, so I may have to wait awhile. The Falcon’s are mostly known for bass as well. So the “in-between” actions they offer in the LowRider 20 ann CaraT7’s get over looked. As an example, the Falcon swhakey head rod really serves as a great multi purpose for 3/8 blades, dragging plastics and small cranks.

So, wasn’t looking to slam loomis, just saying hey, at that $$$$ level, you have a lot of options

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

My vote would be Fenwick. You can buy 2-3 of them for the price of a Croix or Loomis. And that way you can get different lengths and actions instead of relying on one rod to do all the work. Unless you already have a boat full of rods. Then I would recommend the Croix. Nothing against Loomis. Just always been a bigger Croix fan.

I already have 3 Fenwicks which I use for throwing cranks and mimmic minnows. I have a G Loomis that I love but is is a light action and only 6′ long, it just doesn’t get it done when I use heavier jigs/baits.

Randy I will definitely look into those brands you mentioned. I also thought about going custom but I don’t know exactly how to go about that.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I also thought about going custom but I don’t know exactly how to go about that.

There are a number of great rod builders on this sight, and I hate to exclude anyone of them. But here is my recommendations on a custom – especially doing it by phone. John @ TUCR is great at listening. Probably the most difficult task is getting on the same page with understanding an action or feel. So much falls into that personal preference. Once you establish a common understanding, then discuss the tweaks you want.

Just another suggestion, after pounding the snot out of rods the last few years, I can honestly say that EVERYTHING I was taught about getting the line slap out and standing the line off of the blank is WRONG. These rods with micro guides are so much lighter and my casting distance has increased so much. Unless I was building strictly for winter use with ice up or slip bobber knots, I would definitely go micro 100% on all my future rods

castle-rock-clown

Check out Elk River Custom Rods. My favorite is a 6’8″ medium, x~fast with micro guilds paired with nano full line. Very delicate presentation, but has the backbone when playing fish. I love to watch that tip wiggle and follow the fish…then a quick sharp but measured tug and whala a nice hookset in the upper lip. This is good as most of the fish I release anyways. But, back to the rod, Marc does a beautiful job balancing beauty and function. And not a bad price for a rod built with the best components.

CBMN
    North Metro

There was a brand of rod that for the life of me I can’t remember. They were being sold at the booth BK was at last year at the Sportsman show. I think they had them at Everts as well. They seemed like a pretty good value.
    I want to explore some of the non-mainstream rods this spring. I can only assume that TUCR makes a pretty decent open water rods.

I believe bellagine may be talking about this brand:
    Limit Creek Fishing Rod Company
    I don’t know much about them and don’t own one but I hear good things.

I had John at TUCR build me a high end 6’10” med XF last year and can say it is amazing. Incredibly light with split grip and rec guides. Paired with a stradic ci4+ it is amazingly light. It compared similarly to a loomis NRX I used last year and the TUCR is a few hundred $ less. On another note I have some fenwick, St. Croix, shimano, and even clam Jason Mitchell rods that I like a lot at much lower prices.
    My best advice is if you want a high end custom rod call John like Randy said or get to some retailers with some options out there. Loomis might be what you want/end up with but explore some options first.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I wasn’t sure where to but this post so I figured the general would be as good as place as any.

I’m looking at buying a new rod for jigging walleyes. I am between the G Loomis IMX 6’6″ L , The 6’10” Mag light Walleye series from Loomis, and the St. Croix Legend tournament walleye rod 6’6″ ML. Any opinions on any of the above rods? I have had a lots of different rods and have decided that nothing compares to a Loomis. I have not tried a St. Croix and am curious if anyone has used both.

The rod would be used for pitching jigs/plastics and jigs/chubs. I jig all year long because I am not a real fan of trolling. I need a longer rod because my 6′ Light Loomis doesn’t hold up to the chubs and jigs too well.

Any input would be great, thanks!

I have the 6’10” GLoomis Walleye Series Mag Lite XFast and it is an outstanding rod. I also have a 6′ GLoomis IMX Mag Lite XFast that is just as good in a different situation.

The 6’10” is used when I’m looking for something with a little more backbone, or in current or with a 1/4oz (or heavier) jig.

The 6′ IMX is used more with a lighter jig and for vertical jigging structure without current

I have not used the St Croix Legend Tourny, but what you are describing you are looking for, the GLoomis Walleye 6’10” Mag lite would be perfect for

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.