New ice littering law question

• steelslinger71

With the new law if you pop the head off of a minnow and throw the rest of the body on the ice is that now considered littering?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Yes.

-J.

Ripjiggen

Just chum the rest of the body in the hole. whistling

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Yes.

-J.

sheez….good gawd!!!!!! doah tongue i put fish remains on the ice up north last week…….the eagles and crows had them gone before dark the next day!!

i’ve seen resorts do the same and birds everywhere eating well!!

Karry Kyllo

I doubt very much that a CO will write you up for a minnow body on the ice. Use common sense and you’ll be fine.

Gitchi Gummi

Just remember, every law is the result of some idiots actions. We can thank the slobs for this one.

B-man

I wouldn’t worry about it one bit.

The law is meant to crack down on slobs that leave trash.

TH

I wouldn’t do it. Common sense would say feed the crows. Local warden here will ticket you. Don’t leave common sense to the DNR.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Just chum the rest of the body in the hole.

Keep a couple in the trash for the warden. Have to love all the laws. doah

-Throwing chum (fish parts, corn, etc.) and other physical attractants into the water. This is considered littering.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/fishing/baitcloud.html#:~:text=BaitCloud%20can’t%20be%20used%20in%20Minnesota&text=Using%20BaitCloud%20or%20similar%20products,This%20is%20considered%20littering.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It fell off your jig.

OG Net_Man

Geez, I do not think that there is a time that I go ice fishing for panfish that at some point in time I don’t pull off bait such as spikes and drop them down the hole and put fresh spikes on. Between this and minnow tails that I do not use when using jigging spoons for walleyes I must be breaking the law on 90+ percent of my ice fishing outings….

R Petersen

I never realized prolonged cold weather can affect some people a lot.

steelslinger71

Thanks everybody for your answers. What I am seeing if you really want to know for sure that you should probably ask you local CO. Hate to imagine getting tagged for dropping a waxworm or minnow tail down the hole or even on the ice for that matter but you never know.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

When or if I get cited for something stupid like this, I feel I might be obligated to drag it out in court and maybe even involve an attorney just to make a point of how stupid this is.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I don’t get what is so hard to comply with the regs. Both needed and also common sense. But since so few seem to have any commons sense, I hope there is enforcement here.

I guess you can add me to the short list of people who don’t want see anything on the ice when I get to a spot. That includes dead minnow the birds have yet to clean up. Worse yet, I’ll be obligated to clean up your mess so I can fish that spot and not get a ticket for littering.

-J.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Throw em on the ice? Drop em in the hole? So, you guys aren’t eating your old waxies and minnow tails? Sheesh. Don’t know what you’re missing! yay jester

TH

Problem with minnow tails is they float.

Could you really be ticketed if you went to a spot and there were minnows frozen down from prior anglers?

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

Throw em on the ice? Drop em in the hole? So, you guys aren’t eating your old waxies and minnow tails? Sheesh. Don’t know what you’re missing!

rotflol rotflol

Jimmy Jones

Problem with minnow tails is they float.

Could you really be ticketed if you went to a spot and there were minnows frozen down from prior anglers?

This would be hard for any CO to enforce unless he/she saw you actually tossing a partial minnow or bug.

Before I quit ice fishing, I knew guys that smoked of would have a mouthful of sunflower seeds and these guys would carry a ziplock sandwich bag and put their butts or seed hulls in the baggie.

I think the law has some merit, but I also don’t necessarily think we needed another law regarding crap left on the ice. Maybe if a law was passed where, if someone sees another creating a mess and walking away from it the observer could just kick the sh/t out of the idiot without any legal repercussions.

B-man

If you guys are bent out of shape about this new rule, just wait until MN bill 543.651 goes through in the next session.

“All ice anglers will be required to ‘leave no trace’ within 20 minutes or within leaving a fishing area by more than 100 yards (300 feet), whichever comes first. This includes leveling of any ice shavings from holes drilled, removing sand/road salt that may have been deposited on the ice from conveyance, ‘raking’, ‘dragging’ or ‘shoveling’ the fishing as area as needed to remove human disturbances. Spear fisherman are required to place a placard comprised of biodegradable materials with the owners full DNR number in contrasting 2″ block lettering within 20 feet adjacent to prior spear holes upon leaving, owners are required to perform and document daily inspections from 30 minutes prior to sunrise and 20 minutes after sunset of prior spear locations and remove markers (placard, sticks, branches, and/or other naturally occuring material) once the area affected has returned to ice deemed safe and signed off by the conservation officer whom ice is located in said jurisdiction. Ice will be considered safe once restored to 75% of pre-existing thickness prior to cutting/drilling. Further upon- 24 hours notice MUST be provided to the conservation officer involved. Those failing to comply will be subject to fines no greater than $500 for first offense, subsequent failures will result in loss of fishing privileges for no less than 1 calendar year, up to 3 calendar years from date of offense.”

For questions and concerns regarding this upcoming bill please contact:
    [email protected]

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

B-man. You are a funny guy smirk

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

rotflol Good one B-man.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

B-man…..aka the flannel fuher….aka king jung walz!!!!!!! devil rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.