New Grill

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t know where you live, but Warners Stellian is having their annual Grill Expo this weekend. They have several locations around the metro area and you get free assembly, delivery, and recycling of an old grill when you purchase a new one. I got a Weber Spirit Series one last year.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

As everyone can see, just do the weber gas grill. They work.

Here’s the one item that hasn’t been touched. Make sure it’s a 3 burner. My brother got the 2 burner and it doesn’t get the job done much of the time. Rest of my family and co-workers have the 3 burner, very happy.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Here’s the one item that hasn’t been touched. Make sure it’s a 3 burner. My brother got the 2 burner and it doesn’t get the job done much of the time. Rest of my family and co-workers have the 3 burner, very happy.

Good point. I agree. To take it one step further, make sure the burners go from left to right across the grill, not front to back.

The ones that go across produce more even heat when indirect grilling. The vent is along the back side of the grill cover so your heat rise up and escape through the vent. The burners that go left to right produce a nice line of heat that goes across your food evenly.

The burners the go front to back can’t do this. I believe it was a bad move by Weber for doing this.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The one nice thing is that you can add wood chips to a charcoal grill to get a little added smoke. The smoke boxes for the gas grills don’t work that well in my opinion.

True, I have a wood chips box. Takes forever to start smoking and it doesn’t give off much. If you could place it directly on a burner it might work.

But when it comes to steak, it’s those sear marks and crisp crust that gives it flavor. No one wants a smoked steak. Grilled and smoked pork chops? Yes please.

I used to have a little habatchi gas grill. The wood chips worked perfect in their because of the confined area. It would also get really hot with chips wrapped in tinfoil with poked holes. The pork chops were amazing. Smokey, juicy with a nice crust.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Take a look at Broil King too. I picked one up for the cabin a few weeks ago and you get a lot for the money and they seem to be very high quality. We got the Baron S440 at the Warner Stellian sale.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

The burners the go front to back can’t do this. I believe it was a bad move by Weber for doing this.

Interesting, about a half dozen of us at work don’t like the horizontal burners. However most of us aren’t doing indirect grilling. Never would have thought about venting and difference in heat distribution.

munchy
    NULL

True, I have a wood chips box. Takes forever to start smoking and it doesn’t give off much.

Make yourself a smoke bomb and place it on top of the flavorizor bars. Works great!

CaptainMusky

Sorry to break into the Weber love fest, but I have purchased a Kenmore, yes, Kenmore gas grill 4 burner for under $250 brand new and its fantastic. I have had it 5 years and it still cooks as evenly as it did the day I bought it. The burners have a 10 year warranty, but I don’t care if they last a couple more because I am going to get a Broil King.
    Broil King exceeds Weber in about every box that needs to be checked sans the name recognition. Much better burner design for one and better components too. They are definitely over the $300 threashold, but you get into a Baron or above and you have a grill that will outlast most marriages.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>patk wrote:</div>

Good point. I agree. To take it one step further, make sure the burners go from left to right across the grill, not front to back.

The ones that go across produce more even heat when indirect grilling. The vent is along the back side of the grill cover so your heat rise up and escape through the vent. The burners that go left to right produce a nice line of heat that goes across your food evenly.

Interesting, I actually like the ‘vertical’ burners in my genesis. I do a fair amount of indirect grilling and it seems to work well. I would think since there is less vertical space to work with(most grills being wider than they are deep), that the horizontal burners would give you a bigger indirect zone. Would be tough to position a largish steak on the grill without a portion of it overlapping with the middle burner.

One thing I like to do if I’m cooking indirect, let’s say if I am going to sear steaks on high heat and then cook on indirect to finish the job(a reverse sear is better, but more work IMO). Take one of the grill grates out of the grill until you plan on using it for indirect heat. That way you aren’t throwing your seared steaks on really hot grates(even if the burner underneath them is on low or off).

I think the smaller weber gas grills are not of the same quality than the genesis and above. I think the lids are thinner, perhaps made overseas if I remember right?

And to whoever said you don’t want to smoke a steak, try smoking it to ~110 degrees and then searing it on a gas grill or cast iron pan. Gooooood. Although, that’s probably less of the smoke and more the superiority of a reverse sear :).

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

True, I have a wood chips box. Takes forever to start smoking and it doesn’t give off much.

Make yourself a smoke bomb and place it on top of the flavorizor bars. Works great!

</div>

Did you see my flavor bars in my picture. I’d be afraid to touch them for fear of them crumbling to dust.

As for horizontal bars and indirect heating, isn’t indirect heating g a fairly new method? Maybe that’s why Weber hasn’t done it yet? Good point though. I’ll be in the market this fall so all this info helps.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Buy a clean used Weber and put new grates in and never look back. You will be around that $300 mark

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Also, anyone else use stainless steel grates? I bought a set after getting tired of trying to clean the grates that came on my genesis(porcelain enameled cast iron).

I must say, I much prefer the stainless steel grates. 100x easier to clean than the other ones, and the grates are thick enough that you still get nice grill marks.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

As for horizontal bars and indirect heating, isn’t indirect heating g a fairly new method? Maybe that’s why Weber hasn’t done it yet? Good point though. I’ll be in the market this fall so all this info helps.

I can’t imagine it’s a new concept. In fact, Weber has only recently started going to vertical burners. Not sure why.

Here’s where I got that idea.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I disagree on grill marks (burnt meat lines grin ). I believe in taking the time to get proper crust on my meat creating that tasty maillard reaction of proteins.

Remember cooking frozen steaks? I strive for that crust.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I disagree on grill marks (burnt meat lines grin ). I believe in taking the time to get proper crust on my meat creating that tasty maillard reaction of proteins.

Remember cooking frozen steaks? I strive for that crust.

Stop it. You’re just trying to get me to invite you over for steaks. hah

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I already ate so 6pm tomorrow ? I have some smelt with brown sugar and pepper ready for the grill.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

time for a new grill. I have the same one that biggill posted on page one and the grates look way worse than what mplspug posted. It’s in rough shape.
    Seems to be the consensus is Weber Genesis or above. Do the webers offer a rotisserie option?

also, i’m with hank
    mmmm

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We just got a Weber Genesis 4 burner and fired it up with family in town. I love it.

I really like that I could do @ couple beer can chickens instead of one having the space and 4 burners.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m very much old school with grills and still use chunk wood and charcoal. However, I “modernized” a couple of grills to help speed up the process of getting my charcoal and wood going. My go to is the PK Grills which is a cast aluminum.
    BUT – I’ve added gas burners to a few grills and they have worked out incredibly well. You can get a Brinkman kit for dirt cheap. For a little more, you can get cast iron and have a very stout burner. Just an idea if you have an existing old grill to work with

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Randy and I are alike. I use a 22 1/2 Weber kettle that I use lump and wood in. I have the rotisserie ring as well. I have a GOSM smoker and a Weber 220 Q too. I mostly do the lump for day in and out, smoker a few times a month and the Q goes with me when the boat is attached for a trip. After the Q has been brought up from its winter hibernation, it will set on the deck for some quick lunch brats and the like. We grill and smoke year around, usually at least once a week average. Butt assed cold weather like 5 degrees and lower probably not any of the three, but I did a turkey a week ago. Very windy and temps were around zero.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Went with a Weber 22.5 charcoal kettle. Today I’ll be grilling venison steaks. Next weekend I’ll be smoking a brisket. I’ll never go back to gas

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Can’t go wrong with the Weber 22.5 Kettle finally converted over to one 4 years ago to compliment my electric smoker. Now that the electric smoker died the weber is all I use.
    Though I am going to switch over to the PK grill this year. Met a guy at a campground last year that had one passed down to him from his father from the early 70’s. That thing is awesome.

Love to get a PK 360 but out of my price range. The origanal at $360 looks spendy at first but its great value when seeing what one gets.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I can’t remember how old my Weber 3 burner is. Old. I can’t kill it! Don’t buy their 2 burner. Has trouble getting hot in wind and when it’s cool out.

CaptainMusky

Take a look at Broil King too. I picked one up for the cabin a few weeks ago and you get a lot for the money and they seem to be very high quality. We got the Baron S440 at the Warner Stellian sale.

Agreed 100% Ive done extensive research on gas grills and Broil King is the one I would buy for the price point I was looking at over any Weber of equal price. THey are not well known, but they are an amazing grill with excellent quality. They have a patented burner design that ensures even glass flow across the burner. Ever notice that the flames are higher one end of the burner than the other? Not an issue with the broil kings because of their design. That is the fatal flaw with other grills. Yes, Webers are good, very good. Broil King has a better design and very good/great components.

Viewing 24 posts - 31 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.