New Fox Red Lab Pics and thoughts about training/books

• micah-witham
    Richfield

Got our family a new addition by the name of River. She’s a pure bred Fox Red Lab and she’s pretty stinking cute.
    I’ve never hunted and the dog was supposed to be for the family but now that I’ve got her I think I may have to get me a new hobby.
    So far at 12 weeks she can:
    Sit
    Lay Down
    Hold until “okay”
    Retrieve a dummy back to hand w/out a chord
    Retrieve a pheasant tail back to hand w/ the help of a chord sometimes.

Questions:
    Best book for training upland and water fowl?
    How different is to train for pheasants and ducks?
    Are there any farms near Minneapolis for a total NEWBIE like me?
    Does anyone want to invite me to join them who knows what the hell they’re doing?
    can’t seem to post a pic for some reason…choose the pic I want but it won’t let me select a second one nor does it show up when I hit publish.

Attachments:
    1. 2014-06-18-17.06.39.jpg

Sharon
    SE Metro

What a cute pup and congrats! My husband and I just adopted a German Shorthaired Pointer this spring and there are differences in the way retrievers and pointers are trained, so I don’t have much advice. But one thing I keep trying to remember is to discourage playing tug-of-war. You wouldn’t want River playing tug-of-war in the field with game in her mouth so it’s best just to avoid that activity. Also, the kennel where we got Fritz said it’s a bad idea to bring young hunting dogs to gun ranges in an attempt to get them used to gunshots. He said that usually doesn’t work very well. Hearing random gunshots with no purpose or action on the dog’s part isn’t very beneficial. The dog needs to associate the gunshot with the retrieval, and the reward (whether it’s training treats or praise) that comes with retrieval.

Good luck with her and I hope you have many years of wonderful hunting experiences with your new pup!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Books by Richard A Walters are pretty good.

You might consider a puppy obedience class too. Not only helps train your dog but also helps train you.

Good going kennels (Jason Gooding) (715-977-1281) in Baldwin Wisconsin has open training days the first and third Saturday all summer long until October. Starts at 9:00 A.M. For $20 and the price of birds a trainer will work with you and your pup.

Jason has helped me quite a bit. He asks you what you want to work on then works with you so you can train your dog.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.