New Fishing Record Program Changes for MN

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Fantastic, thanks for the link.

Just so everyone is aware, should you decide to enter a fish for the new C & R length category, the form has a spot for the lake/river you caught it on, which is required. This information will be made public. So if its a smaller sized lake, you might want to think twice about entering it because its probably going to receive increased pressure as a result.

On a more sizable lake, it probably won’t matter.

Just something to think about.

Riverrat

I’ve never heard of Yellow bass before, and now that I went and looked it up because of the new records available, I’m thinking I might have caught them before. Or they were white bass.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Fantastic, thanks for the link.

Just so everyone is aware, should you decide to enter a fish for the new C & R length category, the form has a spot for the lake/river you caught it on, which is required. This information will be made public. So if its a smaller sized lake, you might want to think twice about entering it because its probably going to receive increased pressure as a result.

On a more sizable lake, it probably won’t matter.

Just something to think about.

fishermen lie…….just sayin…. whistling whistling i.ve had fish weighed before at places, they ask where..its usually a lake 20 miles away!!! mind you there not records but wouldnt matter..i’d do the same!!!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

So are you saying you’d enter a new state record and have a witness sign their name with information that wasn’t true?

That’s really no different than the recent guy in Kansas who was busted for stuffing bearings in a crappie that he recently entered as a state record there.

Historical records before 1980 are being relabeled as such. There was no proof required. These newer ones require certification with photos and witnesses. I expect that those are true and accurate. The older ones that predate 1980, not so much.

Ripjiggen

I mean it’s a little different.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I mean it’s a little different.

waytogo big difference.

I’m not to worried, I don’t figure on catching any record fish anyway

3Rivers

Life’s too short to sweat the small stuff. I can’t tell you how much grief I got with my current record. Haters crawled out of the woodwork, but by far the positives have outweighed the negatives. Enter your record, celebrate your catch, enjoy life.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I would be willing to bet most of the state records have been broken a few times by people that just dont care.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I would love the bowfin record, but I think the days of giant bowfin in Platte/Sullivan are now in the past. Bow fishing has gotten too popular in this area and the big ones are more likely to get an arrow through their back.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Life’s too short to sweat the small stuff. I can’t tell you how much grief I got with my current record. Haters crawled out of the woodwork, but by far the positives have outweighed the negatives. Enter your record, celebrate your catch, enjoy life.

That was a hell of a fish. You must of cheated, because I can’t catch one that big rotflol

ThunderLund78

I would love the bowfin record, but I think the days of giant bowfin in Platte/Sullivan are now in the past. Bow fishing has gotten too popular in this area and the big ones are more likely to get an arrow through their back.

The lake our cabin is on has some GIANT Bowfin. I wish this was in place a few years ago as both my bro-in-law and myself have probably come within a pound of the weight record for bowfin but released the fish. Better yet, I think both our biggest have come on 4lb test and panfish rods while fishing spring crappie.

The one in my profile pic is big – that guy hit a topwater frog, but have caught a couple fish that were a few inches bigger in there. Will start paying attention to length now.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

3rivers……….
    I’m dying here. What ya got?

Bass P. back in the 70’s I hooked a dog on Sullivan, freakin monster. Battled it for 10 minutes before it straightened out my hook. I was a kid back then but i’m pretty sure it was 3′ long. rotflol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

3rivers……….
    I’m dying here. What ya got?

Look up mn lake sturgeon. Darren holds the record.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Look up mn lake sturgeon. Darren holds the record.
    applause applause applause

3Rivers

Here’s a video I just did kind of explaining the new record system:

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Nice video. Didn’t realize I was in the presence of a minor celebrity.

32 pound minimum weight for northern pike? Not a chance on that one. Bar is set way to high. Even a 20 pounder is like finding bigfoot.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Great video.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.