New Dog, considering a Small Munsterlander

• Brad Dimond

Lost my Springer yesterday. We missed last bird season due to me having a knee replaced, thought he’d be with me this season but no joy.

I am considering a Small Munsterlander for my next dog. My crew is shifting from flushers to pointers and I am interested in the swithc as well. I’ve always run Springers, they are a good fit for my first ring suburb home. Does anyone have experience with Small Munsterlanders? Also, what Upper Midwest breeders have you used or can you recommend? Would welcome a breeder who can provide a started dog – expensive but this will be my first bird season after retirement and I’d like to spend a lot of time following a dog through the grouse woods and pheasant fields.

Thanks

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Is that the springer in your profile photo that died Brad?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The small musyerlanders are absolutely wonderful dogs. Fantastic family dogs but it’s like there’s a switch in them that goes into hunt mode when they get in the field and they absolutely are unstoppable.

If we have the time for a dog this would be the one and only one that I would consider.

I have spoken with several breeders at the game fair. I’m sorry I don’t recall their names but I know there are multiple breeders in minnesota.

Brad Dimond

The small musyerlanders are absolutely wonderful dogs. Fantastic family dogs but it’s like there’s a switch in them that goes into hunt mode when they get in the field and they absolutely are unstoppable.

If we have the time for a dog this would be the one and only one that I would consider.

I have spoken with several breeders at the game fair. I’m sorry I don’t recall their names but I know there are multiple breeders in minnesota.

Thanks Grouse. I plan on attending Game Fair the second weekend and will visit with breeders – Munsterlander, ESS and Boykin (if any are there). I loved my Springers, they’ve been great hunters and companions. My understanding of Boykins is that they are very similar to the Munsterlanders in temperament and have a similar off/on switch. A friend has a Munsterlander, I am spending next weekend with him at his lake cabin and will be talking to him at length about the breed and the breeder he used.

jumpingeorge

We have 2 small munsterlanders, got them from Prairie Peak Kennels by Ottertail. Can’t recommend the breed or breeder enough. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Gitchi Gummi

Sorry for your loss Brad.

I hunted behind a munsterlander a couple times and I was extremely impressed. It was easily one of the best dogs I’ve seen work in the grouse woods. If I ever moved over to the pointing world, I think I’d be choosing between a munster and a GSP.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.