New costco beer?

• tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Anyone tried the “new and improved” kirkland light beer that’s in the coors light knockoff cans? I had the unfortunate opportunity to taste the old black can stuff twice and found it absolutely undrinkable – and I love me some cheap beer.

48 cans is a pretty steep plunge just to try it…

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Pabst — the ultimate American adjunct lager…

Carry on. whistling

jld
    Holmen

I am at the point in my life that I make enough money that I can afford to drink good beer. I would rather work on a really good six pack of a well made beer than drink 12 cans of watered down crap. Back in the day though…..a case of ice cold Old Milwaukee returnables was hard to beat. As I have aged, I have turned into a beer, coffee and custom ice rod snob.

404 ERROR
    MN

I am at the point in my life that I make enough money that I can afford to drink good beer.

When I reach that point in my life, I hope they make expensive beer that tastes like Busch Light…Then I can look down on and make fun of Busch Light drinkers, because I spent twice the money for the same outcome.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

There are times and places for delicious craft beers but not ice fishing or lawn mowing.

Looks like nobody else took the kirkland plunge.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I bought a case of the old Kirkland stuff. Tried a few cans and considering the cost thought it was the best cheep water beer ever. About 10 cans into the case I wanted to throw up just thinking about drinking it. Probably took about 4 months to get through that entire 48 can case and the only time I drank it was on sundays when the liquor store was closed. I would be interested in trying a new and improved model.

I drink Hamms and when I go to a bar or feel like treating myself I drink Summit EPA/IPA

zooks

I’ve had the old stuff too, I thought it was decent but it was also the best kind of beer – somebody else’s. I know it’s 48 beers is a lot for the experiment but as I like to say, I’m sure everyone has spent $25 in far worse ways.

tswoboda

Kirkland Light AKA “The Customs Case” … because when you go through Canadian customs you can tell them you only have a case of beer toast

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I will drink almost anything from watery domestic to mosaic IPA. I haven’t tried Kirkland but the price doesn’t seem better than Hamm’s, so I wouldn’t personally be too excited.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

There are times and places for delicious craft beers but not ice fishing

This is where I disagree. Delicious craft beer go best with ice fishing…and any other beer drinking occasion. As I have gotten older, I realize that with each passing day, it’s another day closer to the day you die. Enjoy what you can…when you can. toast

404 ERROR
    MN

This is where I disagree. Delicious craft beer go best with ice fishing…

I’ll be sure to offer you a Busch Light in trade for one of dem fancy beers at the GTG toast mrgreen

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I bought a case of the old Kirkland stuff. Probably took about 4 months to get through that entire 48 can case.

There is no way I could do that – I couldn’t get through a can. I only tried it again later becuase I was certain the first one must have been left in the sun or picked up a dead animal in the canning process.

Just wishing they wised up and made a straight coors knockoff. It’s $21 for 48cans last I looked where coors is $16 for 24.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

it’s made for Costco by different breweries in different parts of the country. for the Midwest it’s made down here in southern WI at Minhas Brewery in Monroe. since Kirkland doesn’t have their own beer recipe for Minhas to follow, it could very well be a Minhas beer that’s just relabeled for Kirkland.

lots and lots of beer comes off that line, and not very much of it is good – they all kind of taste the same. an ice cold Lazy Mutt is a pretty good farmhouse ale on a hot summer day though.

that said, it’s a very interesting place, and worth taking a tour. 2nd oldest continuously operating brewery in the country (behind Yuengling) and 10th biggest. it was Huber before the Minhas family from Canada bought it. they installed an absolutely massive packaging line in order to increase production for both their own beers and lots of contract brewing. Minhas/Lazy Mutt, Kirkland, Boxer, Mountain Crest/Creek, Rhinelander, Huber, Blumer’s soda, and recently added a big distillery/liquor packaging line across the street as well.

404 ERROR
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Michael C. Winther wrote:</div>
    Boxer

wow talk about bad beer! Ill take 100 kirklands before I choke down one of these

Dozens of cases have been drank in our college house…or should I say, dozen of cases have been spilled on the carpet in our college house?…I don’t think I could choke one down anymore if I tried, way too many long nights with Boxer Light! We somehow thought that Boxer Light was an improvement over Beer30 Light…To this day, I have no idea what we were thinking.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Rolling Rock is the best watery beer at a good price that I’ve had.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

When it comes to cheap beer I’m a High Life and High Life Light fan myself. I looked up the Boxer brand mentioned above. They make watermelon, apple, and champagne beers (available only in Canada). I’ve tried a watermelon craft beer and didn’t like it. I can about imagine what a cheap watermelon beer would taste like. I’d probably still drink it in a pinch, though.

So has anyone tried the new Kirkland’s beer?

Ny
    N Metro

Ive had the black can Kirkland beer. Tastes decent after your about 6-7 beers deep.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Seems like the only option here is for moneybags jld to buy a box and distribute it among us.

Either that or: “Any interest in a Kirkland Light group buy?”

BigWerm
    SW Metro

tldr version:
    – Chicago-area craft brewers did a blind taste test
    – #1) Hamm’s #2) Miller Lite #3) PBR

Those are all tried and true Chicago beers, so I’m going to blame prejudice skewing their opinion. Thus moving my personal favorite cheap beer, the Legendary Keith Stone, up to #1. I like craft beer also, but for cost and drinkability nothing beats an ice cold Grain Belt Premium, preferably in a bottle!

Back in the day when I went to We Fest, we’d always bring a case or two of Boxer or American Light up to give to random people at the campsite who needed a beer. Beggars can’t be choosers, but as we found out many people would choose not to beg given those options! lol

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

“Any interest in a Kirkland Light group buy?”

LOL great suggestion and also NO!

jld
    Holmen

Seems like the only option here is for moneybags jld to buy a box and distribute it among us.

Either that or: “Any interest in a Kirkland Light group buy?”

No way I am sharing. I maybe drink a couple of six packs a month especially in the winter. Couple six packs of Alaskan Ambers or Toppling Goliaths won’t break my bank. I don’t really drink on the ice. Like to stay mobile and the less garbage I have to drag around the better. Have to agree, ice cold High Life in the summer is pretty tasty.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

C’mon guys, it’s only 52 cents a can + $7.99 s/h!

Dave maze
    Isanti

how many cases do we have to buy to get a price break?

Adam Betz

Absolutely agree! Best rods, great beer, good coffee make life tha5 much better! But if you can find good cheap stuff I’m game

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

The Kirkland light that comes out of Minhas is the equivalent of taking reclaimed water straight from the treatment facility, dumping in a bag of grass clippings, a dead opossum, three dog turds, and dry hopping it with Limburger cheese. Quite possibly the worst attempt at a cheap beer since buckhorn beer in the 80s. My liver expects a far higher quality of abuse than that. I don’t think I would even boil brats in it.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Beggars can’t be choosers, but as we found out many people would choose not to beg given those options!

rotflol
    That’s why in high school and in collage I would drink Milwaukee’s best ice. 5.9% and I think it was $12 a case. Now I am in the I will just pass instead of having that group.
    I tried the old Kirkland light and still have some if anyone wants it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.