New cat fish rod and reel

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m in the market for 2 new river rods. Something I can use to target sturgeon and flat heads with. Any one have any suggestions for something decent that won’t break the bank.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I like the Rippin Lips line of catfish rods, and they’re a decent price.

Pitter patter

Cat maxx rods from cabelas / bass pro are a good choice. Have heard people say that they are broom sticks but that must be the older models. Used one for about a year. Rods are sensitive enough for good hook sets with braid and circle hooks but plenty of back bone. Light weight with comfortable Eva handle. Nice looking rod too. Also like whisker seeker rods. A bit more money but if you’re in the market for 2 rods shipping is free. Nice composite cork handle, lightweight with a good throughout action.

isu22andy

I’ll be honest the madkatz rods caught me hook line and sinker due to the cool colors that glow under UV. I’m ashamed to admit it – they seem made well . Have plenty of backbone for sure . MH is def overkill for channels however that wasn’t my intended purpose .

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have the cat max rods also. They are good enough for channels and small flats I normally run into. I switched from Penn reels because I was sick of my clicker always getting stuck on (three separate baitcasters) and tried the Piscifun Chaos baitcaster and have been quite impressed with it after one season. At $50 it’s tough to beat.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3948.png

3Rivers

I’ve switched to running all Madkatz for my guide service. They have performed well and MK has been great to work with as a company, I have no complaints.

As Andy mentioned above, what’s really fun about them is plethora of color combo choices and also the glow factor. I’ve found that M is plenty for our fish here. We caught a Flathead on Thursday that was nearly 50lbs and we’ve boated many Sturgeon over 65″ with no problems. As far as I can tell, it’s nearly impossible to break them, trust me I’ve tried.

The glow always gets the oohs and ahs though. LOL

Attachments:
    1. 351347289_1288003751840191_3103772291896815732_n.jpg

Pitter patter

1 more good option is tangling with catfish rods. Eva foam handle or cork, double locking aluminum reel seat, and double footed stainless rod guides. Shipping not free but still less with shipping than others and a great rod

Pitter patter

Buy 2 rods at whisker seeker get a third free. Coupon code megagfx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.