New bunk boards….yes or no?

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I’ve got a 2002 Lund ProV 2025 IFS, so it’s a heavy boat. I have carpeted bunks, and the carpet is needing replaced. I’m looking at something like these for replacements: https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/product-info

They are made from High-Density Polyethelene.

I had a Crestliner, and used these: https://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Tie-Down-Modular-Bunk-Glide-Ons-White&i=321247&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=333231323437&s_kwcid=adwords__&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3aaNq_S51wIVzrjACh0sdAA-EAQYAiABEgLG7fD_BwE

Doesn’t really say what they’re made of, but they rubbed paint off the hull on the Crestliner.

So, the question is, do you guys think the ultimates would do the same thing? I’m sure the ultimates are better material; the 2nd link were a cheap upgrade, and it showed. And it could be a difference in hulls and paint too, who knows. But I’m wondering if it would be an error to get the ultimates or not. I’d love to get away from carpet all together if I could. Let me know what ya think.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Yep, go poly. If you fish late in the year be aware of a ice film build up.

mojogunter

What don’t you like about the carpet other than having to replace it after 15 years? I had a 2025 Lund that I had issues getting the boat off the bunks at shallow ramps. Two ramps I couldn’t get the boat off and had to go to a deeper ramp. Wondering if that is what you don’t like.

I’ve got a 2002 Lund ProV 2025 IFS, so it’s a heavy boat. I have carpeted bunks, and the carpet is needing replaced. I’m looking at something like these for replacements: https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/product-info

They are made from High-Density Polyethelene.

I had a Crestliner, and used these: https://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Tie-Down-Modular-Bunk-Glide-Ons-White&i=321247&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=333231323437&s_kwcid=adwords__&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3aaNq_S51wIVzrjACh0sdAA-EAQYAiABEgLG7fD_BwE

Doesn’t really say what they’re made of, but they rubbed paint off the hull on the Crestliner.

So, the question is, do you guys think the ultimates would do the same thing? I’m sure the ultimates are better material; the 2nd link were a cheap upgrade, and it showed. And it could be a difference in hulls and paint too, who knows. But I’m wondering if it would be an error to get the ultimates or not. I’d love to get away from carpet all together if I could. Let me know what ya think.

tim hurley

I’ve had UBBs for a number of years my boat is fairly heavy-the product has been very durable however they are not as slick as when I first bought them.
    Good Luck

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Tim,
    That’s good info. Have you noticed any paint being rubbed off or anything bad about em? Glass or tin boat?

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Mojo,
    I don’t know…..I just don’t wanna mess with carpet. Plus, the boards won’t hold sand and weeds like carpet, and the boards are better for drying out and not spreading invasive species too. They also look real good, and would be maintenance free. I don’t care so much if they slide or not; I gotta back the thing in so far anyways because it is such a heavy boat to float, it doesn’t matter much. Plus, if I’m floating the boat, I shouldn’t have to worry too much about it rubbing paint off either. That’s really my only concern at this point, is the paint.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

The ultimate bunks look like the bunks on my trailer that I’ve always referred to as composite decking material. If reinforced properly, they do have the potential for almost lasting forever.

tim hurley

I have an aluminum boat-The other 2 product reccomendations are covers. UBB are a solid product-that appealed to me when I bought them.

Terry Heese

I ran the Ultimate boards for several years under a 18′ Alumacraft & liked them.
    They are almost an in-between rollers & bunks as far as slickness. Yes, there will be some scratches on the bottom paint but there are scratches with carpet also, carpet holds the dust & dirt.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Do you tow it on gravel much? Not sure but with composite materials could see more room for grit getting in there and running I could be way off base too though. I know I know really helpful reply

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Were the scratches on the bottom highly noticeable? Or fairly minimal?

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Yes, I live on gravel so my boat is always on gravel. However, anytime I’m on gravel, I never travel more than 25 mph, so I’d have to think that helps. I wouldn’t be too worried about the rocks getting in there much with it already on the trailer. I’m sure there’d be more to worry about at the ramp than anywhere else.

Terry Heese

Scratches are there in the paint not down to metal. You wouldn’t hardly notice them unless you lifted the boat off the trailer.

IF I were to have a bunk trailer again, I would put the ultimate boards on.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

That’s quite the endorsement right there.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.