New Boat Discussion

• Raptormaster

Buying a new boat and I would enjoy some feedback from folks regarding a few questions/issues:

When wind is 9-11 MPH on Mille lacs for example, my 1750 (150 Merc) isn’t really suited for the water. It’s not unsafe, but I can’t get out to the mud flats easily, swells are too large for me to use trolling motor without rising out of water repeatedly, and its really just not suitable for elite boat control, etc. I have this issue on other bodies as well (Rainy, Chequamegon). Plus kids are getting bigger and wanting to go up north, so the time has arrived.

People with 19′ 20′ boats – how is the ride from the shore to the mud flats (or other large lakes as well) with 9-13 MPH wind?
    Can you use trolling motor effectively with your 19′-20′ in these conditions?

Second – In your experience/knowledge comparing 19′ 20′ aluminum versus F-Glass what are your thoughts? Is a Skeeter clearly better than a Lund for example apples to apples boat/engine size? As far as smoother ride, gobbling up waves etc?

Third – Does anyone know for sure the best time frame to buy a boat deal wise? New boat. IE is boat show time worst time to buy, etc.

Thanks guys – fyi I did research old threads with similar discussion but they seemed to get off course with comments about cost
    not worth larger boat, or drift socks and stuff which are not my focus currently as I have decided to purchase larger. Thanks again.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Have you ever driven a fiberglass boat? I would suggest trying to test ride a 20 foot glass and aluminum boat the same day and let that be the deciding factor for you going forward.

Walleyeguy34

I’ve got a new 1975 pro v with a 150 and I feel the same way as you. The ride out to the flats isn’t unsafe for me it’s just not that comfortable. Lots of pounding in those big waves as a aluminum boat sits more on top of the water than a glass boat. I’ve got a buddy with a brand new 621FS ranger and the ride is a lot smoother and less pounding. If I would of had more money to spend I would of got a Ranger or Lund GL. Skeeters aren’t a bad option either- just haven’t done much research on them.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

This recent thread does a decent job of explaining glass vs aluminum.

The bottom line is glass doesn’t ride better just because it’s glass. Hull design is key factor.

Aluminum is not necessarily lighter than glass. The paper thin crap aluminum boats made here in the Midwest are lighter because they are paper thin with little support and reinforcement.

Lots of people here are finally discovering the west coast made aluminum boats for use on big waters. These boats are rock solid and will last 50+ years.

If you’re not willing to put the effort in to find a good quality aluminum boat, you may as well go with glass.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I will give you a real life example. My folks used to have a Crestliner 1750 Fish Hawk Tiller with a 75 hp 4-stroke and splash guards. They got sick of pounding waves when driving long distances in rough water, just as you speak of. So they got rid of that for a Warrior 2090 (fiberglass) with a hydraulic 150 Suzuki 4-stroke tiller. Now they can head to the mud flats in 4 footers if they want to. They mostly back troll with a drift sock, but in calmer conditions they have a bow mounted Terrova and a stern mounted Vantage. They upgraded rigs specifically to handle bigger waves on bigger waters.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It’s also the length of the hull that makes a big difference. 16’ to 18’ boats ride much different than 20’+ boats do. Either tin or glass.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I use to have a lund pro v 1890 with a 150 and would beat the crap out of myself and anyone else in the boat heading to the mud. Had enough of that and got a Warrior 1890 with a 115 johnson and it is the greatest ride in the world out to the mud. There is no comparison from glass to tin. Glass is hands down a WAY better ride.

Once you are at the mud you are plain and simple just going to get better boat control with a tiller and with the hydraulic steering on the Warrior tiller you get the best of both worlds

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Without bringing brands of boats into this, several things have evolved in the past 10 years. Namely the quality premium aluminum hulls used to be significantly less money than a comparable sized glass boat. Today, the top end aluminum hull is substantially more !

Many reasons for this, but those top models are declining in sales from my experience and the glass segment continues to grow.

Other factors that first time glass owners seem to value after making the transition besides the ride,

Dryness of ride, not needing to wear rain gear when the sun is shining.

dry storage

and the most important to be…. Tracking. The best boat control catches the most fish.

I encourage you to fish out of or at the very least get on the water with the boat you are most interested in and let the boat do the selling.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Warrior 1890 with a 115 johnson and it is the greatest ride in the world

Sidetrack…. Sticker, I saw you running across the bay on Mille lacs yesterday morning in that blow! You must have had the east side of the lake all to yourself! bow bow

-J.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Other factors that first time glass owners seem to value after making the transition besides the ride,

dry storage

and the most important to be…. Tracking. The best boat control catches the most fish.

This is my second season in a glass boat and Dean’s comments are spot on! The boat control is a night and day difference.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>
    Warrior 1890 with a 115 johnson and it is the greatest ride in the world

Sidetrack…. Sticker, I saw you running across the bay on Mille lacs yesterday morning in that blow! You must have had the east side of the lake all to yourself! bow bow

-J.

waytogo waytogo waytogo

the better half
    Champlin, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dean Marshall wrote:</div>

dry storage

This is my second season in a glass boat and Dean’s comments are spot on! The boat control is a night and day difference.

I am not in the boat often but the dryness of the ride is probable number 1 for me. It definitely makes moving around the water much more enjoyable. The ride in our glass boat is great too. Switching from an aluminum tiller to a glass boat with a windshield was a great decision. (FYI – Francis is my other half ))

Walleyeguy34

My 1975 pro v keeps me dry as long as I am going with or against the waves. It’s when you go sideways with the waves that you get drenched. Which I’m not even sure a glass boat would make a huge difference there. What does make a difference is a windshield that you can hide behind… not sure how tiller guys can make long runs in big waves.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Well a week ago sunday on Mille Lacs i went into the waves at 5 mph or so. Stayed dry got where i was going. Didn’t beat the boat to he77.

So driving a tiller can be done. coffee

Raptormaster

I have not driven Glass. I will try to network with someone owning Glass and do a test. Thank you.

Thank you everyone for the comments thus far – great to get your perspective.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

boy if my better half ever created an account on this site and watched my activity i would be in trouble. walking a tight rope there Francis grin

the better half
    Champlin, MN

boy if my better half ever created an account on this site and watched my activity i would be in trouble. walking a tight rope there Francis grin

jester jester jester jester

He has a new boat, so I can’t be all that bad. laugh jester wave

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

jester jester jester jester

He has a new boat, so I can’t be all that bad. laugh jester wave

youre a lucky man Francis waytogo

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.