New Boat and Dealer questions

• Todd Lengel

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I have been gaining a lot of valuable information from the site and am confident that there are experienced anglers / boaters here that can help me with my questions.
    I currently live in Pennsylvania and am strictly a bass fisherman. I’ve spent the last 25 years running aluminum jet boats on the Susquehanna River. I have never owned a fiberglass boat, although I have ridden in many traditional fiberglass bass boats. I am currently looking at buying a vacation property in upstate New York adjacent to lake Ontario / st. Lawrence River and will be looking to purchase a boat dedicated for just lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River. While the boat would be used 100% for bass fishing, I know I do not want a bass boat as I am 50 years old with chronic back pain and I’m not interested in getting a wet beating from rough water. I am torn between a traditional glass walleye boat and a bay boat. Specifically I’m looking at a Skeeter WX2060 or one of Skeeter’s bay boats in the same size. While I know the walleye boat will be the best choice for handling rough water I am concerned about its shallow water application. The skeeter website surprisingly quotes the WX2060 as having a 16 inch draft. Surprisingly their top-of-the-line flagship bass boat is quoted as a 17-inch draft. Can this be accurate? Would the walleye boat actually draft shallower than the bass boat? If anyone here has that boat and can comment on it’s shallow water capabilities it would be most appreciated. What is the opinion on using a bay boat on the waters I’ve listed? I do know that it is not normal to see Bay boats in that region. Also, does anyone have experience or an opinion on the Clayton Marina located in Clayton New York? Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I can’t help with the boat, Todd, but welcome!
    …way to post in the proper forum!
    toast

The_Bladepuller
    South end

My WAG is that transom height is different and that with a 20″ shaft that the bass boat lower unit sits deeper at rest

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

strictly a bass fisherman

Well theres your first problem devil

For those as geographically challenged as I am- lake Ontario, by sq miles, is about 4x bigger than Green Bay, 35x bigger than mille lacs, and 183x bigger than lake pepin. Yikes!

Cant help with your question, but I’m sure others around will! Welcome to the site.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I can share that the draft is accurate and since the boat is significantly wider is the primary reason why. Either the bay or wx will be fine in the shallow stuff…. and i think the transition from bass floor plan will be significantly easier to make with the wx vs a bay boat. The bay boat ride however is very very good since it is a narrow hull comparably.

As I get older, I truly appreciate your concerns for comfort and floor plan…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.