New bearings for my Abu Garcia?

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Hey guys, I’m wanting to soup up my older Abu to make a super caster. I’ve read sparingly about ceramic bearing upgrades and the like for it. Wondering your thoughts about this topic, and where to look for them and what kind to get. My reel is well taken care of, and does fine, but if I can get a little bit farther from shore, I’d take it as I’ll be using it for a specific application. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts and suggestions.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Ceramic bearings are worth it. Mikes reel repair out of Canada is where I get mine. He has lots of parts for the Abu’s. I used to soup these up all the time. Do a upgraded levelwind too.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve done it to a few older Shimanos and gotten mine from Mike’s, too. I will say that I wouldn’t upgrade just to upgrade, but I would if your reel needs some TLC.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Why would you recommend not upgrading just to do it? My goal is to gain further casting distance, overall. The reel works fine, but I’m sure it’d be better with better bearings.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I didn’t think the gains were that remarkable. Perhaps the upgrade from Abu stock to ceramic would be more noticeable than Shimano. I don’t know. If you’re comfortable doing it, go for it. I personally didn’t think it made a huge difference on my reels.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Ah, gotcha. Ya, I’m with ya; maybe it’s more noticeable on Abus instead of Shimanos, I don’t know the answer to that one either. I haven’t heard a lot about it, but when I have, it’s been positive for the Abus. I may have to look into it, we’ll see. Thanks for the feedback.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thanks Ron, I’ll give that a look.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Adding a little more weight is alot cheaper and will increase your casting distance far greater than a set of bearings

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I’m throwing big musky baits with this combo, so I don’t think I can add a lot more weight. I’d rather do the bearing upgrade, to be honest.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Just a quick update on the progression of this project; ya, I’ll definitely be getting new bearings from Mike.

I tried taking my spool apart tonight to even get to the bearings, and the axle/rod going thru the bearings would not budge. I could hold the rod and try to turn the spool, and it would barely turn. Safe to say these bearings are roasted. I had to put the spool on a vise, and tap on the axle with a hammer, and with the solid surface, it came right out. I can’t even get the axle to go thru one of the bearings, and it looks like they’re not turning at all.

I believe it’ll be a well spent $29. Looking forward to seeing how far I can sling a bait with bearings that actually work, and are upgrades to boot.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Ok, the last update is here. Ordered the bearings, got em inserted into the reel, and I really can’t wait to see what this thing will do now. I hope to get the boat out this week and scream some baits at pike and see how far down the coves I can cast. I have a feeling I’ll be able to cover more water faster to find the active fish with these bearings. Glad I replaced em.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

One more update please after you get it out?

I’ve got an older Abu that needs a little tlc. Been following this thread to see how it turns out. Not sure if my issue is bearings but that’s my leading theory. Even if it isn’t, upgrading is always worth looking into.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Yup, I sure plan on it. I know the results will be worth the time I put into the reel.
    I would encourage you to take that reel apart and at least check it out to see what your problem might be. I say that because when I took my Abu apart, I couldn’t believe what I saw. The bearings all seized up, nothing working like it should. I mean, I did buy it used, but this was ridiculous.
    Can’t wait to give it a spin, hopefully tomorrow.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Once again, I love and hate all you guys jester

Just put the order in to Mike’s Reel repair for upgraded bearings. Hoping on better performance and maybe a bad bearing is my issue on mine.

Why do they put the “other people bought this too”??? $10 for carbon washers and I said, why not while I’m at it.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Well, I’ve had the reel out a few times, and wow…these bearings really zing. Mike said I may have to oil them to slow em down, he wasn’t kiddin. So far I’ve just tightened the tension screw and tried to dial it in, but these bearings are super fast. I’m slinging baits quite a ways now, and it’s really taking some getting use to, as I don’t do it a whole lot. Totally worth every penny, that’s for sure.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.