New atv for ice fishing

• brian schultz
    Minot, ND

I never have liked driving my truck on the ice for distances. In ND there are no ice roads. I picked up a 2019 Can Am outlander 650 xt. I put hand and thumb warmers, my digger auger mount, hds-7 for charts, and still working on how I want to place buckets ect on the racks. Also I ordered a set of camso tracks for it. They should be getting installed next week once they come in. I’m excited for the ice to be coming.

Attachments:
    1. 78840A50-5545-4025-AF0F-68C8BA4D09F3.jpeg

munchy
    NULL

Sweet looking rig! Good luck and post up some pics with tracks once you get them! Tracks are the next big purchase for my outlander once I get the space to store them.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sweet ride. Love the black and red

Wisconsincanman
    Tomahawk, Wi

A co-worker put tracks on his atv, he loves it, he’s never had it stuck in the snow on the lake or off.

Chad Leton

Congrats on the purchase and the upgrades to make it functional for YOU! Boost of confidence to begin your season! Good luck!

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Nice looking ride and be sure to come back with pics of the tracks! Congrats!

Jason Guthmiller

This is how I mounted my buckets behind the rear rack 2011 can an 650. Works well I bungee my striker transporter on the back and have plano sportsman box on the front for my depthfinders and batterie for my helix.

Attachments:
    1. 20180921_074440.jpg

robby
    Quad Cities

Great rig!! Only thing I would see as deficient is lack of a windshield.

munchy
    NULL

Great rig!! Only thing I would see as deficient is lack of a windshield.

You make a great point that I didn’t even notice as I was drooling at the machine.

I highly recommend the CanAm Deluxe Fairing with extra high windshield. I’m 6’3″ and still need to crouch behind it on those extreme cold days. The other windshield sizes just seem to lack in height and width.

The best thing about the deluxe fairing is it is literally on or off in seconds. It also has shields to protect the hands.

bfishn

Bite the bullet and get the rear Otter box and Sportsmans case. I wasn’t going to get them, but found a good deal on them and couldn’t resist. After having them I would pay full price in a second if I had to build another machine. I also made a double bucket holder for the other side of the box out of milk crates and a wood bracket to slide it on and off.

I have my digger mounted on the very front of the rack like yourself, I made a shallow wooden box to fit the rest of the front rack to get max space and to make sure i could sit a 5 gallon pail in it.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I run a Suzuki 750 King Quad with the Otter Monster Box and I have the Otter rod case that will mount on the Monster Box. I was running the Digger auger mount when I was using my gas auger but have since switched to a Milwaukee drill and K drill for my auger setup so I’ve switched over to Kolpin Rhino grips on the front rack for that and it works awesome. I also have the Otter bucket for my propane tank on the other side of the Monster Box. That Monster Box has been the best investment I’ve made for ice fishing for my wheeler.

shady5

That thing is awesome! I will be interested to see it with tracks. How much ground clearance are you expecting with the tracks?

plharroun

I run a drop basket and a custom box for my otter box to ride in, auger rack up front. In the drop basket I have a milk crate in the middle for my propane tank and then room for 1 5 gallon bucket on either side.

Attachments:
    1. 6BE230DF-9B14-4CE4-963F-A227A36F2F8A.jpeg

2. 74AAF51D-0E41-4044-8318-9DDFB3FBD27A.jpeg

brian schultz
    Minot, ND

Should add 3 to 4 inches of clearance

bfishn

Finally got mine put together for the year.

Attachments:
    1. 19366881-1AC2-412E-8C8C-DADA8CA04B64.jpeg

2. 11AB808B-A8C9-403D-8DAD-998A6B33FF4A.jpeg

3. 0FA9627A-F001-4852-9898-3D2B1820C598.jpeg

shady5

This is a bit off topic, but I did a little price checking online for MN dealers. $11k (650 max xt) without tracks! It will be sweet, but will be quite an investment. Oh well, that’s why we work, right? Have fun with that beast!

Cole anderson

Hello
    Just curious how you mounted your digger auger holder? I just got a 850xt and was trying to figure out how to mount a digger with the linq base
    Thanks

rickwalley

I put Camso tracks on mine a few years ago and they added exactly 2 1/2″ front and rear.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

dam that quad looks sexy. like the black and red!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Get the Otter Monster box, you went with top-of-the-line on everything else, why skimp on the box?

Attachments:
    1. Otterbox.jpg

Ice Cap

Love the new Can Am’s and that one looks awesome. Been tempted to trade my Ranger in on one a couple times but the Ranger has been a good machine for me. I also don’t always like to have my truck on the ice. But I don’t always like pulling the trailer with the wheeler on it either. Especially on crappy roads.

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

Bfishn how did you get those crates to mount your monster box??

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I might have to put tracks on mine. Bought a brand new Kodiak 700 last season in January and it’s hardly been used on the ice since. This season is looking like another bust early-on.

Ice Cap

I might have to put tracks on mine. Bought a brand new Kodiak 700 last season in January and it’s hardly been used on the ice since. This season is looking like another bust early-on.

I’ve come close to putting tracks on my Ranger but it’s such a major expense I just haven’t been able to bring myself to pull the trigger. I always come back to the same thing with tracks especially if you’re main purpose is ice fishing.

Tracks will get out in the deep snow where maybe a snowmobile won’t even take you but what are you going to do once you get there? You’re in knee or hip deep snow and the bottom 6 inches is slush. Now you drill a couple holes and before you know it you got a couple inches of water on top of the slush. Last year was a good example of that and like you said this year is shaping up to possibly be the same and maybe even earlier. And don’t be fooled into thinking you can’t get a tracked vehicle stuck.

bfishn

Bfishn how did you get those crates to mount your monster box??

I basically made my own wood bracket to slide on and off the Otter box. I had seen it on Ice shanty forums I believe. You cut a piece of wood to slide into the mount on the Otter box, then you need to cut a spacer a little bit smaller than that to clear the depth of the mount, then you attach that to a longer piece of lumber that you have your crates mounted too. The whole thing slides on an off with ease.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Tracks will get out in the deep snow where maybe a snowmobile won’t even take you but what are you going to do once you get there? You’re in knee or hip deep snow and the bottom 6 inches is slush. Now you drill a couple holes and before you know it you got a couple inches of water on top of the slush. Last year was a good example of that and like you said this year is shaping up to possibly be the same and maybe even earlier. And don’t be fooled into thinking you can’t get a tracked vehicle stuck.

Very true.

Last year, I also had buddies get stuck on the ice because the tracks froze solid after they went through the slush and then fished for a few hours in sub-zero temps.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

There are a lot of big lakes where tracks are almost a necessity at times. Lake Winnipeg is one for example. In order to get to the places you want to fish you need to get throw some big drifts and slush pockets that you just can’t with wheels are you sink it too much. Granted the smaller lakes by me if you can’t get around without wheels you’ll be doing what was mentioned before and drilling thru snow which turns to slush. So have to just think about your fishing situations to know if they would be worth while.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I was looking at a Camso manual for their track system

HINTS AND TIPS
    • Before leaving for an excursion, make sure to
    bring with you the following: 13 mm, 15 mm, 16
    mm, 17 mm, and 19 mm wrenches and sockets,
    an axe, a shovel, a tow cable, a lifting jack and
    an adjustable wrench.
    • Generally, the slower you go, the better the
    traction will be.
    • For riding on excursions on unknown or remote
    terrain, make sure to have a cellular phone or
    satellite phone, a first aid kit and spare parts in
    your possession.

The price tag is enough for these for my UTV @ $5300 but since it has a cab it might be nicer than my snowmobile

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.