New at boating

• Daniel

I have a 90s deep v smoker craft king trawler. It has a 40hp mercury Marnier. I finally got it in in water. Once out in deep enough water I gave the throttle a good slow push forward. I notice some water underneath the shelf by the fuel port. Once more throttle qas given more water came in. Almost taking the boat down under. I backed off the throttle and the water dissipated and never rose up in a slow speed. Any time more throttle was given more water came in.

Any help would do.

Attachments:
    1. 20230916_183742-scaled.jpg

2. 20230916_183652-scaled.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Dumb question. Did you put the plug in?

Deuces

Or take the plug out at all? First thing comes to mind is water trapped in the hull and when you gunned forward it created the angle to push that water to the back.

Daniel

Yes its all plugged

Attachments:
    1. 20230916_183742-1-scaled.jpg

Daniel

No water flowed in before we set off the doc

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

No water flowed in before we set off the doc

I think he’s asking if the plug was out while it was on the trailer. It could be rainwater in the boat that never drained out. When you hit the throttle the water in the bilge will rush to the back of the boat appearing like the water is rising.

Daniel

All plugs were out untill we ready to go out. I did just today after our rain storm jack it up as hi as my car jack can go. More water came out so i will try again.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

In one of my boats if it rains I have to pull it to a hill and let it drain. The way it sits on the trailer I can get the front end high enough to drain it all.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Once more throttle qas given more water came in. Almost taking the boat down under.

Ok, so you say you trailered to the lake with the plug out. I’d assume all of the water is out of the boat prior to putting the boat in.

You say once you throttled up the water is coming in. Seems to me you have some structural problem. Possibly a bad transom. Or a seam crack in the corner/s. Something is opening up when the force of the motor is taking place.

You’ll want to inspect the transom area carefully. Grab ahold of the lower unit of the motor and give a real good pull on it. See if you can locate anything obvious. You are looking for cracks and loose rivets. Or any kind of flexing in the transom area.

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Also, taking a closer look at your pics. What are those open hoses for? Are you sure the intakes and drains for your live well and bilge are hooked up correctly? Is it possible you started taking on water when you put in and then noticed the water once under way?

-J.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Open hoses in a boat always make you wonder… I also suspect the pic you posted of the plug is not your drain plug. I’ve never seen a boat drain plug that’s located that high on the transom much less above the height of the floor. Are you positive you had the drain plug in the right location and not in a splash well drain?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’ve never seen a boat drain plug that’s located that high on the transom much less above the height of the floor. Are you positive you had the drain plug in the right location and not in a splash well drain?

Agree it does look high. The drain plug should be below what is pictured. Very likely you had the plug in the drain for the live well, which is easy to do if your not paying attention, trust me on that. whistling

Daniel

Here is a photo og the rear bottom of the boat

Attachments:
    1. 20230917_185546-scaled.jpg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Try plugging up the 2 holes on the right side of the transom saver. I’m assuming the other hole is your bilge drain that you are removing while on the trailer.

-J.

Daniel

I will be trying to cork those two holes. The hole on the left is plugged with a rubber one once its ready for use. Also i just found out if i lift the boat on the trailer all the way up from the front so the rear of the boat is basically on the ground i have alot more water come out. Its been 2 days but there is still a small amount of water coming from the hole tgat gets plugged by the rubber drain.

isu22andy

Put the drain plug in – put a garden hose in your boat , fill it up and check for leaks that way. Dont fill it stupid full or you could possibly bend the axle , just run it 5 minutes. Then hook it up and pull it up the hill and let it drain out .

Daniel

Thank you for that advice. I appreciate it.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Is there a threaded drain plug hole through the bottom of your hull like my Crestliner had? Normally a transom drain plug will be in the center at the lowest point on the transom. I don’t see one there.

CaptainMusky

The drain plug should be the one on the far left where the water is coming out. On the right one is for the livewell aerator and not sure about the other.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

The drain plug should be the one on the far left where the water is coming out. On the right one is for the livewell aerator and not sure about the other.

The hole on the right side is the pickup for the livewell, there really should be a screen on it, it looks like there are some threads on there to install one. The other is the drain for the livewell.

it looks like there some sort of bracing directly in the middle, maybe it’s not possible for the drain to be there, so it’s offset a bit.

CaptainMusky

I always lost the screen on my old alumacraft. It would come off all the time so I just gave up and left it off.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Some of these older Smokers had live well and bait wells that drained directly to the bilge area.

-J.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Are you putting the plug inside the boat or outside ?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Guessing a fitting is leaking or off for the livewell.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.