New addition

• Sparklesonthewater
    Grinnell, Ia

After long thought, I’m finally ready for a new addition and always wanted one. ” We” meaning me, lol are getting a blue merle great dane puppy,I will be getting her after vacation is over.

Sparklesonthewater
    Grinnell, Ia

I’m trying g to send a picture

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230616_180227_Messages2.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Congrats. I understand Sheldon’s reservations. However I’m sure he will love it! Wow cute bugger! Tell Sheldon I say hi

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Are those feet gonna be as big as I think they will?! shock
    Congrats!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

beautiful pup! do you have any names picked out?

Ripjiggen

Oh man she is cute. If I had to guess she will be following him around everywhere and napping on his feet.

Sparklesonthewater
    Grinnell, Ia

So far I like Lucy, Sheldon says it’s short for lucifer but it’s not. Lol

eyeguy507
    SE MN

as a longtime dog owner, there is nothing like the loyalty between a dog and his best friend. the sad part is we will likely outlive them and its not fair. i am sure sheldon will be heartbroken in the end like many dog owners that is why he is reserved.. we have a doberman that just turned 10 and i cant imagine life after her. i would love to get another pup but i don’t know if it is worth the hurt? thinking a rescue or foster might be in our future?
    i am sure your new addition will be loved and that is all you can ask for.

Jimmy Jones

Looks like Sheldon will be trading off his Jack for dog food soon.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

JJ i think a saddle is in his future.
    A cutie though.
    I think Sally would be good-Big Sal,or g0ddammit as in g0ddammit i get the couch.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

When I was young we had a great Dane. Was the best dog ever. But after 6 short years and the last 2 years we had to let her go. Beautiful dogs and absolute family animals but I could never do that again

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Congrats! I grew up with danes and really believe they are the best dogs. They are truly one of the most gentle dogs despite their size, and are incredibly sweet dogs. They have their issues, be very careful with their diets as they are very temperamental. But enjoy it. They have the best personalities.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Here’s the last one I had. My fourth I’ve had.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3997.jpeg

2. IMG_3998.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Here’s the last one I had. My fourth I’ve had.

Your pretty young Pete. How old did they average? I loved ours with all my heart but she went young. And I heard that’s not uncommon

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Great Dane average about 8 years. I sure hope you know what you are getting into! The dog slobbers will strip floor wax and any wood finish that comes in contact with them, they are sloppy droolers. Watch out for their temperment. I’ve lived directly next door to danes for the 45 years that we have lived here! Neighbors have had from 1 to 3 always! They used to show, then hired out for stud. Each have an extremely different personality, from agile to extremely protective!! The one prior to the current one went for me 2x’s, never on it’s own property simply cause it was close enough to me while she had it restrained!They are VERY POSSESSIVE! I wish this was April the 1st, but it isn’t and I sure hope you are doing a ton of homework. Let me know if you would like me to put you in touch with my neighbor Kathy.

She has had blue, black and fawn colors.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Great Dane average about 8 years. I sure hope you know what you are getting into! The dog slobbers will strip floor wax and any wood finish that comes in contact with them, they are sloppy droolers. Watch out for their temperment. I’ve lived directly next door to danes for the 45 years that we have lived here! Neighbors have had from 1 to 3 always! They used to show, then hired out for stud. Each have an extremely different personality, from agile to extremely protective!! The one prior to the current one went for me 2x’s, never on it’s own property simply cause it was close enough to me while she had it restrained!They are VERY POSSESSIVE! I wish this was April the 1st, but it isn’t and I sure hope you are doing a ton of homework. Let me know if you would like me to put you in touch with my neighbor Kathy.

I would completely disagree with this. None of the danes I have ever met or owned have had been possessive or extremely protective. That is not one of their normal personality traits. I’m guessing this is how they were treated or raised. Or you’re exaggerating a bit. That is not normal for danes. They are about the most gentle dog you can own.

As for my dogs, the last one didn’t make it long because she has really bad GI problems unfortunately. My other three were anywhere from 9-12 years old.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I am not exaggerating a bit.
    1/2 of then have been easy to walk up to and the other half were protective to don’t get near them.

The first 3 (Millie, Sheba and ?)were easy, the next one was easy as well (?), then the brother/sister(Jackson & Joleen) was cautious to be around, Beamer was touch and go, The last one was the one that went after me or anyone else. Now is the currant one named Luka, he is ok with me once again as I can enter the gate and not be afraid. I cannot show him any attention cause he will get squirrely and aggressive, He has been the most quiet I think at least in the past moons.

Seems I’m missing one.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.