New 1875 crossover 150 vs 175 merc

• Ryan Marsh

I have a spot held at our local dealer for a new 1875 crossover. Trying to decide 150 versus 175 and having a hard time. Will be using about truly in crossover fashion with a mix of both family water sports as well as fishing. I have googled all over the Internet trying to find a comparison and feedback on the two Without much luck.

Dan Baker

When I oreded my Alumacraft 185 Competitor FSX last year, I chose to go with the 150 because everything I saw indicated the gain was very minimal (like 1-2 mph) and the cost was multiple thousands more. The dealer was actually really helpful giving advice as well. They said, it’s really uncommon for people to go the 175 route for my boat.

Umy
    South Metro

I am probably the wrong person to ask.
    If money is no object – go for the 175
    I NEVER go full tilt anywhere. I can go across Rainy Lake the 14 miles to the cabin at 38 MPH fully loaded in my 1775 Impact w 115HP Mercury. Plenty fast for me. You’re looking at a bigger boat so…..
    Someone else with more experience will weigh in I am sure

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

If you’re serious about the watersports aspect, I’d go with the V-6 175hp, more displacement with a minimal weight gain penalty.

HRG

TH

I had a crestliner 1750 superhawk with a 175 hp Mercury. You are getting a larger boat. For water sports I’d max hp and put rocket fuel and gun powder in the fuel tank. You’re not necessarily looking for top speed. Hole shot and torque are more important. I wouldn’t think twice about the 150 hp.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

If you’re serious about the watersports aspect, I’d go with the V-6 175hp, more displacement with a minimal weight gain penalty.

HRG

X2. I run an 2016 Alumacraft Edge 185 which is a very similar boat to the Crossover. Also rated for 175. Looks like the Crossover is about 90lbs heavier dry. I went with the Merc 150 FS because that’s what the dealer rigged it with and I had heard/read very good things about that engine. Ours was purchased as a family boat with watersports in mind, but it’s mainly used for fishing 2-3 people and only occasional tubing. The 150 is very capable for what I use it for. That said, the 175 is only 20lbs heavier. Not that I regret having the 150, but if I were to do it again, I’d max it out.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

My buddy has an 1875 with the 175 hp Merc and it scoots, even fully loaded with 3-4 fishermen. Plenty fast, and he uses it for tubing quite a bit. I think you’d be ok with the 150 too, but it’s a lot easier to throttle down than add HP at a later date, if the cost difference isn’t too bad I’d go 175.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

That 175 is a sweet motor. You will get the difference in price back if/when you sell the boat, so its a no brainer.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have a spot held at our local dealer for a new 1875 crossover. Trying to decide 150 versus 175 and having a hard time.

[Initiate script “IDO_Standard_HP_Answer”]

This is the In-Depth Outdoors Forum. The answer to your question is obvious:

Get the 250 HP.

A 250 is the bare minimum for the weekend worm-drowner/guy who likes to putt-putt around the lake on Sunday afternoon. If you’re at all worried about resale value, the 300 or 350 is a better choice. As everybody knows, the serious anglers are all going 400+ now.

[/End script “IDO_Standard_HP_Answer”]

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan Marsh wrote:</div>
    I have a spot held at our local dealer for a new 1875 crossover. Trying to decide 150 versus 175 and having a hard time.

[Initiate script “IDO_Standard_HP_Answer”]

This is the In-Depth Outdoors Forum. The answer to your question is obvious:

Get the 250 HP.

A 250 is the bare minimum for the weekend worm-drowner/guy who likes to putt-putt around the lake on Sunday afternoon. If you’re at all worried about resale value, the 300 or 350 is a better choice. As everybody knows, the serious anglers are all going 400+ now.

[/End script “IDO_Standard_HP_Answer”]

Just wait until he asks about tow vehicles,,,,

HRG

Ryan Marsh

Thank you all for the advice. It confirmed that little voice inside my head that said go with the bigger motor (175) and dont have any regrets. I signed off on the 175 as well as deciding to do the tandem axle this afternoon. This was the last crossover slot available for this 22 yr per dealer. Apparently he claims they had rhe order open since late 2020. Hoping for a May delivery fingers crossed. Now I just need to be patient on the electronics that may take forever as well.

FSHNRIG

Good choice. Especially for getting that bow on top of the rough chop asap. Enjoy the new rig.

FSHNRIG

Good choice. Especially for getting that bow on top of the rough chop asap. Enjoy the new rig.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I had a buddy who ordered a crestliner 1850 fishhawk last spring and received it last fall. He had ordered it with the 175 Hp but when it arrived it had a 150 on it. The dealer said they thought he said he wanted the 150. I was there with him at the order time and it was really clear that he wanted the 175 on it. I think they just put what was available on it and hoped for the best. They told him if he really wanted to switch the 150 for a 175 this next spring they would do it. I think he’s just going to keep the 150. His last 1850 fishhawk had a 150 and it was fine. Slightly better fuel economy is great on those Canada trips where we often have to bring extra fuel in 6 Gallon cans.

With planning on using yours for family water sports I think going with the 175 was the correct choice. This boat has to much horsepower said no man ever !!! Hope you receive yours by this spring. Lots of people who were told spring last year had to wait till mid summer to fall to get theirs

mnfisherman18

If money isn’t a big deal then of course max it out with the 175. If it’s going to cut into your electronics budget then I would just stick with the 150. The 150 is perfectly adequate for this boat and would not be considered “underpowered”. This is coming from a guy with an 1850 sportfish who is very thankful he didn’t settle for a 115 or 125, but quite happy with the 150.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Where you would really notice the difference is when the entire family is on board and getting on plane, like everyone said good choice on the 175. Fuel mileage isn`t even enough difference to notice, they all suck fuel if running wide open.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.