Networking my own boat – lots of ???’s for anyone willing to help

• Marco Pelton

Hi all,

Last year (2022) i purchased a new Lund Alaskan 2000 tiller. The boat was on the lot, not ordered, and i opted to not have the dealer to any of the electronic rigging as i’m almost capable and wanted to try it for experience. I already owned a Helix 15 from my previous boat that i kept so that’s what i started with. I also purchased a HB live last year and used that a little bit, and plan on using it more this year. What i did last year is i would unplug my Mega SI transducer and plug in the HB live when i used it, as i didn’t have a network setup yet. That’s what i’m attempting to do this spring.

Here’s what i currently own; Helix 15, GN4 Helix 10, Riptide terrova with Link, (2) HB Live transducers, a MEGA SI transducer mounted at the rear of the boat, and a Humminbird AS ETH 5PXG Ethernet Switch. I have two HB live’s because my wife surprised me with an ice kit over winter, so i bought a second pole and will mount them both for open water fishing, because why not? Lol.

Right now the boat is set up only like this; the Helix 15 is mounted at the tiller seat and the MEGA SI transducer is running to it. That’s it. The Terrova is not linked. I do not the Helix 10 mounted yet (its going to go on the bow) and so far the Ethernet hub is still sitting in box. So nothing is networked and i don’t know exactly what missing cables i need to make this work. Or even if it can – can you network two HB live’s on the same network? The real reason i want to be able to do that is that i would like both graphs to be able to talk the Terrova for spot locking, ect.

The last thing im doing is that i purchase a 100 hour Lithium battery that i’m going to mount and run all electronic power for. I figured this would be a smarter idea than using the one singe house battery that i have for my 115 tiller engine.
    So here are my questions; i want to add a rear transducer for high speed depth. Is that the XNT 9 HW T? Can i run two HB Live’s on one network? If not, is there a way to network the graph to the Terrova and not have one of the Live’s networked? Do i need to add power switches to the Lives? Will two lives work on one boat? we’ve had two in the same icehouse before, without issue, so i can’t see them being 16′ apart in a boat and having issues. what cables do i need? All i have the is hub itself along with one single 10′ ethernet cord so i know i need some additional cables.

any and all feedback is appreciated.

2022 Lund Alaskan. Wester NoDak. Lake Sakakwea walleye fisherman.

Attachments:
    1. boat-pic.png

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.