net recommendation

• Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I currently have a ranger net. Its a good sturdy net, I have the model that extends to 6 or 7 feet. Reason I went with this net was for trolling cranks in the river and being able to reach way out when the boat is still moving 2mph+ and the fish gets caught in the prop wash. But lately I’ve been finding the net takes up way to much space in the boat and I feel like its always in the way. So I’m looking for a net that can collapse and be set to the side. Been looking at the ego slider in the 29″ handle that extend to 60″. Are they quality nets and stow away easy? Also, which size net/hoop should I get? Just looked at cabela’s online and there is about 30 different configurations of hoop size, shaft length, and net material. I see lots of tournament guys using the ego sliders with the really deep nylon nets. Anyone have this model and can give feedback? I’m probably over thinking it, but I like to keep things orderly and organized in the boat and I’m tired of stepping around and over the huge ranger net.

brad-o
    Mankato

I have the ego slider for two years and love it. Once in a while you have to tighten the hoop of the net to the pole.

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

x2 four years old love it. Mine is rubber net tho

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

I’ve used to use the ego slider however I had two sliding handles break on me in one season. I’ve since gone to another brand.

They are great! While they are working….

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

I had 3 EGO nets in 7 months and they all went bad in the handle. When you fully extend them the weight limit is 5 pounds and that is pushing it. They are useless in temps below freezing, when they ice up they just don’t work…my 2 cents..I have a friend that works at the BIG sporting goods store and he said they are the # 1 returned net they sell if that tells you anything!!

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I’m curious if you had the first or second generation EGO nets? I know they about doubled the extended weight capacity. That was always my concern with those things. Was going to get a backup for my Beckman, guess I’ll rethink my options.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have two Frabill nets and love them. I have a 20 x 23 conservation and a 23 x 22 hiber-net. The hiber-net is great when fishing in a canoe/kayak. It is also great as a backup that stores in the rod locker in case something toothy rips your main net.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I’ve used to use the ego slider however I had two sliding handles break on me in one season. I’ve since gone to another brand.

X2 mad

Jonesy

I have an EGO 2 slider and had to replace the handle once because a bunch of sand got in the tracks and it was really difficult to extend it. It was replaced no questions asked. Otherwise I have had no problems with the net.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Have the EGO 2 and it works great for me.

The first EGO nets on the market had problems and they made changes to them which seen to be holding up good.

We will extend out grab fish pull it in quick and lift fish in the boat.

Pauleye
    Onamia

I had a EGO first gen. I returned it after one trip, the bag loved hooks and when extended with any large fish seemed like it would bend in half. Bought 2 Beckmans and am set for life.

WalleyeGuy17

Check out the RS Nets if you are looking for an easy extend net. The bags on them are awesome and incredibly hard to get a hook stuck in them. You can also customize them in the colors you want.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Personally, I keep a musky net and walleye net in boat almost always.

I wouldn’t give up net quality for storage ability… I’d focus on how you store your net and if there is a better way!

Just my 2c

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Mine is a backup net. It is great for crappie fishing. Slide it out and back quick. It won’t hold up to big fish if it is extended though.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I looked for a net that utilized the same handle but had a variety of net hoops available. I use one hoop for trout & Kokanee, one for salmon, one for wipers & walleye. One handle, multiple nets.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Ego 2 slider. There are # restrictions based on how far it is extended for a reason…. Extend out, grab the fish, retract and lift into the boat. Works like a charm!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.