Heading to Omaha in a couple weeks…

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Hey folks, I’m hoping I can get a little bit of assistance from the folks on the ground in NE. I’m gonna be in Omaha in a couple weeks and I’m hoping beyond hope to get some decent intel on fishing the Mo for catfish. I’ll be in Omaha proper for work, but I should be able to get around the area a bit.

I know specific spots aren’t to be named, but if anyone has any suggestions, or even knows of a catfish guide or two in the Omaha area, I’d be ecstatic.

Thanks in advance, folks.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I’ll see what I can find out for you. I don’t know a lot of people fish the river right around Omaha, in fact I can’t think of any. I do know that the water is running full force over there right now. I think I heard that there are a few places around that you can fish wing dams from shore.

There are several small reservoirs in the Omaha area where you could hook into a decent channel cat or two. I take it you’ll have a vehicle while your here???

chadmayer
    Gretna, NE

I don’t know to much about fishing the mighty mo around Omaha. Access to the river is very tough right now. It has been flooded for most of the summer. Like Ben said, there are some local lakes around here that have some decent catfish in them.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I don’t know about the Omaha area but the Missouri down here flows at close to 5 mph and there are some giant cats in it. I saw one floating belly up one day that was as big as the basketball fish.

Good luck

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Once you get easty of Grand Island, I know hardly anything about the fishing out that way. But if you’re able to make it a few hours west I’d be happy to take you out! Our lakes and canal system have flatheads, walleyes, saugers, crappies, you name it. If you’re up for a road trip, lemme know.

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

As mentioned before – fishing in the Mo River is not very popular around Omaha. The folks in these parts who fish for river cats do it in the Platte River – a Mo River Tributary. Schilling Park is in Plattsmouth, 15 mins south of Omaha, and has decent drive up access to the Platte within 1/2 mile of the delta into the Mo. Further up the Platte near hwy 75 offers decent access, and even further up river are the Lousville and Two Rivers Rec Areas. Both of which have Platte access. Most of the cat guides around here are way up river near Gavins Point Dam – 2.5 hours north of Omaha.

Heck, there are big cats in the Omaha city lakes if you want to fish for them.

If you want to go out large mouth fishing, I know a guy – my son – who’s always looking for a boat partner and he fishes the Omaha lakes weekly. But be warned, he’s pretty Die-Hard. I’ve learned to meet him at the ramp so I can leave when I want to, not when he’s ready, cuz he never is ready to leave.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Quote:

I’ve learned to meet him at the ramp so I can leave when I want to, not when he’s ready, cuz he never is ready to leave.

I know a few guys like that.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

so I can leave when I want to, not when he’s ready, cuz he never is ready to leave.

Ya…you say that like it’s a BAD thing! What the…

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

You guys rock… thank you for the info! I’m not sure if I’ll be getting there over the weekend or on Monday or how late in the week I’ll be staying, but I’ll def ping back here once I know and/or if I end up looking for a boat to tag along in.

Once more, y’all rock. Thank you!

mike means

The river is up and I mean really up from all of the rain we have had. I would probably guess that the bank fishing is a big no go due to water conditions. If you want to fish one of the local lakes or pound Lewis and Clark, let me know.

Mike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.