Aquatic Nuisance Species

• whitetips2

I just learned that there is a possibility that some tournament anglers from Nebraska may be traveling this week from some out-of-state waters infested with zebra mussels and other aquatic nuisance species back to Nebraska waters. I do not know the details, do not know how many anglers may be involved, but this is a great opportunity to remind everyone about this issue and that you should be VERY aware of it and be very aware of what you should do to prevent the spread of aquatic nuisance species. Here is an excellent website you should take the time to become familiar with, Clean, Drain and Dry.

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    Bauer’s Barbs and Backlashes

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thanks Daryl. It would definitely be a good time to mention this topic again. These things really scare me, and I really do believe it’s only a matter of time before they move our way.
    We fished a catfish tourny last year at Prewitt Res in northeastern CO and they had a check station there. Heard about some scary stuff. Their water flows this way, so….

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Great post Daryl. I just got home today and was sure to drive the majority of the trip home with my cover off and livewells open and boat plug out. I have a gallon of bleach that I plan on mixing and doing a little cleaning before I head to Sherman this weekend. We had to clean a lot of weeds off the boat trailer each time we left the boat ramp. It’s against the law in Wisconsin to leave the lake with those weeds hanging off your trailer even if you are fishing the same waters the following day.
    To stop the spread of this stuff takes only a little extra effort from anglers. A clean boat catches more fish anyway.

tomich
    Omaha, Ne

Quote:

A clean boat catches more fish anyway.

Obviously for me it doesn’t

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Bring that Ranger out to the canal, Jason…we’ll dirty it up and get some fish in it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.