New to Nebraska

• Goldpig
    Omaha, NE

Hi all,

I just moved from MN to NE and am living in south of Omaha. Any tips on smaller lakes to check out close by to wet a line? Looks like I may have to check out some of the lakes that show up on the forum. Are there map chips for any of them?

I would also be interested in sharing a boat sometime if someone needs company. My boat or yours.

Thanks,

Brian Peterson

mike means

Brian,

Welcome to Nebraska. About the best lake in Omaha for Eye’s is Wherspan. Nice little lake off of Giles and 156th street. Lots of Crappies in there also. If your wanting larger lakes either look out West or Lewis and Clark is about 2.5 to 3 hours away.

Mike

mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

Welcome, and yes most of the lakes listed on IDO are available on Navionics chips.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Hi all,

I just moved from MN to NE and am living in south of Omaha. Any tips on smaller lakes to check out close by to wet a line? Looks like I may have to check out some of the lakes that show up on the forum. Are there map chips for any of them?

I would also be interested in sharing a boat sometime if someone needs company. My boat or yours.

Thanks,

Brian Peterson

Brian,

I hope you enjoy your move to Nebraska. It’s a lot like MN, great people and a love for the outdoors. Omaha is a great town.

One big difference you will find between NE and MN is that Nebraska has reservoirs and lacks natural lakes. But there are some great fisheries. Like Mike said, Wehrspann Lake has some decent walleye. Walnut Creek is a nice lake in the area. Zorinsky is also a nice local lake that holds some walleye and has some really nice bass. Head toward Lincoln and you’ll find a real gem in Branched Oak. Being new to the area it might not be a bad idea to spend a little time with a guide. Ben Garver is a member of this site and a buddy of ours. He would be my number one choice for a guide in Nebraska. He could really shorten your learning curve.

For lake maps of Nebraska lakes, I’d suggest the 2010 Navionics Hotmaps Premium card. It includes the border water of Lewis and Clark near Yankton, SD as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.