Leadcore questions.

• Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I’m new to the leadcoring and have only been out twice while trying it. One of the first questions I have is I seem to be getting little pieces of the lead coming out and just barely sticking out of the “sheath” around it, is this normal and is there anything a guy can do to get rid of them; i.e. take fingernail clippers and clip them off? They seem to snag up while I’m trying to let the line out. Secondly, the pole I’m using is a 7’6″ baitcasting rod that has fairly small eyes on it, is there a better pole out there for leadcoring that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg?

jhalfen

Many basic leadcore questions will be answered right here:

Jason Halfen: Leadcore 101

Those little lead tags often come from leadcore backlashes that occur while deploying line. Meter the line out slowly at first (until the lure starts to pull line out easily on its own) to prevent backlashes; it’s the kinks and twists that occur in the backlash (or when two lures get tangled behind the boat) that lead to those lead tags. What I do with a small tag is clip off the exposed past and make sure that the sheath is covering the remaining ends. Inevitably, however, when you get a few of those tags poking through (and weakening) the sheath, it’s time to cut your losses….snip off the poked-through area and start over.

The 2009 leadcore season is underway in my boat. I really enjoy this technique, which saturates the lower part of the water column with baits and strains it for biters.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

for a quick answer, not normal for the line to breakdown like that, my guess is you are wrapping it on a small spool.
    not sure where u live but i was just at cabelas browsing on my next investments and they have their depth counter reels combod on 8-10′ rods for $50 I have 2 and will be getting 2 more. i know they are not premo like croix but im fine for trolling. but deff read Jasons 101.

whittsend

What Jason said. His article is great!!

Always let out line slowly with your thumb on the spool. ALWAYS!!

Try trolling fast while deploying line (4-6mph), and then slow down to fishing speeds when all line is deployed. I think Jason metions this in his article. Helps get line out much faster.

Mike

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Husker, read the article and you might want to try searching “leadcore” posts for the last year.

Quick answer: pieces of lead coming out doesn’t sound normal. Try stripping off a color or getting new line. For the rod, bigger eyes would probably help. Especially when targeting bigger eyes. (That was a bad joke)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.