Deer movement – Northeast

• channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I’ll be in Dodge county for deer season this Saturday (and I’m so ready… my neck is swollen up bad). Has anyone been seeing any movement? How’s the harvest situation? Is most of the corn out yet? I have an antlerless tag, so I’m pretty confident that I’ll fill my tag, regardless.

I’ve already decided that I’ll be in my stand during the K State / Husker game. I don’t really care to see any more records fall.

Good luck to everyone this season. Be safe, and have fun!

Ben

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Central has GREAT movement right now and most of the corn is out. Sorry but no info on the NE, GOOD LUCK

tomich
    Omaha, Ne

If you can’t get that tag filled, look me up, I will also be in Dodge county (I think, or close to it) I can probably help you out. Hope to be done by 7 am saturday.

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I spoke with my uncle yesterday, and he says it’s on. He figures we’ll all be tagged out by noon Saturday. Lots of deer, and they are moving pretty good. We’re hunting the Elkhorn river bottoms, and it’s always been good to us.

Two more wake-ups and it’s here. I can’t wait.

shermanator
    Nebraska

Drove the other side of the river that what I can hunt on the way home this am. Saw 4 decent bucks each with a doe, a spike by himself , and a really nice buck in a small tree patch. Did not have my eyes with me to get a good look, but for sure a shooter. Good luck this weekend. Sherm

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

Just got back from deer camp. This was a record year for our group. We had 8 hunters, most with bonus antlerless permits. We got 4 nice mature bucks (one was 240 pounds live weight!) and 4 mature does, and I got one tender and juicy button buck. 5 on Saturday morning, 4 on Sunday morning. The wind on Saturday afternoon kept them all bedded down, so we sat inside and listened to the most unreal Husker game of the season… seriously, 4th and 20 and they went for it? And Ganz ran for it? And got it? Wow.

Mine, which I got Saturday morning, bedded down 30 yards in front of me and sat there for an hour and 15 minutes. I could only see its ears. I decided after a while that if he stood up, I’d take him (I only had an antlerless tag, and not much freezer space… I can justify this all day…). My uncle was on his way back to camp and passed behind me (the deer was in front of me), the deer saw him and got up to leave, and offered me a perfect shot (30 yards, quartering slightly away), and I dropped it on the spot.

It was foggy as all get out on Sunday morning. If they were moving, we couldn’t see them. But at about 9:00, the fog lifted a little bit, and they were suddenly all over the place. Four guys took deer within ten minutes.

By 10:30 Sunday, we had all the deer dressed and loaded into the trucks. We still had 7 antlerless tags to fill, but we decided that we had plenty. It was time to go.

The check station in Dakota City said that they had checked over 250 deer by noon on Sunday, which they said was the best they’d seen in many a year.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Congrats to you and your group on a succesful hunt. MMMMM backstrap, it’s what’s for dinner.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Sounds like a GREAT weekend I bet I saw 14 different bucks here in Central Nebraska on Sunday. Man they were really moving!!! Selective harvest will become a little less “selective” from here on out. Need some meat for the freezer.

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I think “selective harvest” means holding out for mature does right now. We need to take out some breeders. There are tons of deer in our area right now, and there are more every year. We had 16 total permits, and could have easily filled every one if we wanted that much venison.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Quote:

I think “selective harvest” means holding out for mature does right now. We need to take out some breeders. There are tons of deer in our area right now, and there are more every year. We had 16 total permits, and could have easily filled every one if we wanted that much venison.

And we have a couple of older bucks that just don’t have the antler growth. There will be a nice pile of backstraps after this weekend.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.