Shouldn’t have looked past USC

• Todd_NE

I’m kinda thinking the Husker coaches shouldn’t have looked past USC with Ball State coming to town.

This week is shaping up as a big game, especially with ISU coming the next week. Hopefully Bohl didn’t leave anymore “Defensive Tips for stopping the Colorado Rushing Attack” game plans laying around.

Of course, my Gophers didn’t do so hot either.

Anyone notice MU, KU and KSU are putting up 50/60 pts a game the past few weeks? The last two times the Huskers played KU they’ve pasted us in Lawrence and took us to overtime in Lincoln last years.

Our goals are still intact though at this point to win the Big 12 North and go on to play the South champ though(Oklahoma?).

T

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

Hey quit telling people KU or KSU may have a team.It messes with there sneak attack to actually have winning seasons.Actually KU has won by something like 50 points a game against nobody teams but its still tough to put up points like that.O ya I guess USC did something like that to Nebraska this week.Just joking wish Nebraska could have given them a game just to make the big 12 look better.

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

Someone’s gonna have to figure out how to tackle. The D Line looked pretty bad out there, and that’ll have to change if the ‘Skers are going to have a shot at Texas, Mizzou, and (if it gets that far) Oklahoma.

There were plenty of positives from that game, though. Keller found his groove (at least for a while), and the receivers weren’t dropping a ton of passes. Pass protection looked good. It was nice to see them moving the ball against USC, even though it didn’t count for squat in the end.

I’m starting to get over what happened on Saturday. It’s been tough, but I have stopped waking up in a cold sweat, and I am sleeping through the night. Oh well. There’s still a lot of games. At least I’m not a Notre Dame fan.

Ben

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

At least I’m not a Notre Dame fan.

Ben

A-MEN to THAT.

djorg
    Central City, NE

How about if we run Cosgrove for President …………………………. at least it’s a job that he couldn’t mess up any worse.

Lee Barfnecht had a great column in the outstate OWH today; great reading. Shatel had a good one too; but not as biting as Lee’s.

Good fishin’ but he Huskers leave a bad taste in your mouth right now.
    jorg

snake_plissken
    Central, MN

Your past success has clouded your vision. Make it easier on yourselves and face the fact that your squad just isn’t that good any more.

Todd_NE

At least Cosgrove gets it. From Monday’s Omaha WH

“It really was nothing that needed to be adjusted,” Cosgrove said. “It’s about making plays. I think it was obvious we missed a lot of tackles. You could see the problems on the field. We’ve just got to do a better job.”

In other words, the player’s fault.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

People in Huskerland have overreacted to this loss. This is far from the first time the Huskers have been slapped by an elite team. It happens. Heck, it happened to my favorite coach of all time, TO (several times). That said, I would love to have seen what the Huskers would have been with Pelini as DC and BC at HC. I question the hire of Coz when BC took over, and after a few years of evaluating his ability, he (Coz) is an average DC. It might be time for BC to light a fire under Coz, or suggest they part ways. The defense was exposed (the front 7 anyway… the DBS played well). Of course, it wasn’t all the coaches’ fault. There were many missed tackles and an overall lack of fundamentals by several D starters. It’s hard to know how much of that is lack of talent versus lack of coaching. I’m going to go out on a limb and give a bunch of the credit to USC. It probably doesn’t hurt having an all American at every position. As disappointed as I am in the outcome of the game, I’m more disappointed in the numbers of so-called Husker fans and some writers piling on the team after this loss. It’s one thing to be upset and to criticize, but a lot of what I see being written by “fans” and writers is an overreaction at this point in the season, and others are simply classless.

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

Quote:

People in Huskerland have overreacted to this loss.

Yup. It stings to lose, for sure, but conference play hasn’t even started. And hey, I can understand getting down on the coach if he lost to someone like, oh, Appalachian St. or Utah or something. But this was the #1 team in the nation.

I’m still a fan. I was a fan during the 7-7 season. I will be a fan as long as the team still exists.

9+ games to go this season. Go Big Red!

djorg
    Central City, NE

Quote:

I’m still a fan. I was a fan during the 7-7 season. I will be a fan as long as the team still exists.

9+ games to go this season. Go Big Red!

Yes, I too am a HUSKER FAN and always will be. I’m just not a fan of the new regime. Maybe more specific, Cosgrove. Nebraska was a dominate defensive team in the past and should be able to continue that through the change. Remove the Blackshirts from those not doing the job; build pride and determination.

A change is needed …………. athletes? or coaches? or game planning? ……….. but one is needed.

Fishing on Saturdays will begin soon.

jorg

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

I want OPTION FOOTBALL back and WALK-ON NEBRASKA BOYZ making it to the big time. It sucks that Ryder, if things stay the way they are, won’t know good old HARD-NOSED NEBRASKA FOOTBALL But I will stick with the young men who are still working their butts off to keep the TRADITION

Todd_NE

I was just trying to be light-hearted in the first post

TO was never ever ever beat down like this at home. Washington in 1991 was the closest. Let’s be honest, USC could have named the score. 5-600 yards of rushing and our score of 17 or less was there had they wanted it.

So USC is good, that’s a shocker, it’s why it was a big (I thought it was a big game, Callahan went out of his way to say it wasn’t). Where’s all that talent from our vaunted classes? They haven’t knocked out Solich’s guys yet (over 30% of starters). Further, I think we have the talent. It isn’t getting coached up. USC started a true frosh center a 6th string I-Back from spring ball, and very young WR’s. Where were our youngsters?

It’s kinda funny. Last week people were saying we had the talent and coaching to play USC tough. Now, we don’t have the talent…

I think they can win out in 2007, if not, lose maybe at Texas. Am I fearful of MU, KU, KSU & AM. Yes, but they are all beatable and I don’t think I should be thinking about the possibility of a another 4-5 losses!

My gosh, is that being a bad fan to hold this staff to the same standard we’ve had here since Devaney? Win our share of the toughest games, particularly at home, and occasionally lose a game against a lesser opponent, especially on the road? Those are the 10-3, 11-2, 12-1, type seasons that I can live with plus the occasional mythical NC chase thrown in.

What people don’t realize is that a 7-7/8-6 year can happen to anyone anymore. All it takes is the right injuries or players flaming out. 85 schollies isn’t enough leeway. Lloyd Carr won a NC but now can’t beat Appalachian State (coached by former Husker Asst Jerry Moore) at home. Bob Stoops won 8 games a few years ago. IT HAPPENS – we over-reacted then and are under-reacting now in my opinion. Even with that said we have to go through at least 2008 to see what this staff’s ability really is.

Plus I don’t have the 12.5 million to pay off ADSP and Callahan I think they are here through roughly 2012 & 2011.

Todd_NE

By the way, Pelini was under contract for 2004. ADSP and BC fired him. At least he sucks at LSU.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Quote:

People in Huskerland have overreacted to this loss. This is far from the first time the Huskers have been slapped by an elite team. It happens. Heck, it happened to my favorite coach of all time, TO (several times). That said, I would love to have seen what the Huskers would have been with Pelini as DC and BC at HC. I question the hire of Coz when BC took over, and after a few years of evaluating his ability, he (Coz) is an average DC. It might be time for BC to light a fire under Coz, or suggest they part ways. The defense was exposed (the front 7 anyway… the DBS played well). Of course, it wasn’t all the coaches’ fault. There were many missed tackles and an overall lack of fundamentals by several D starters. It’s hard to know how much of that is lack of talent versus lack of coaching. I’m going to go out on a limb and give a bunch of the credit to USC. It probably doesn’t hurt having an all American at every position. As disappointed as I am in the outcome of the game, I’m more disappointed in the numbers of so-called Husker fans and some writers piling on the team after this loss. It’s one thing to be upset and to criticize, but a lot of what I see being written by “fans” and writers is an overreaction at this point in the season, and others are simply classless.

Wade,

I don’t know how you put my thoughts down, but you did. I agree completely. I’ve thought and said the same things to many since Saturday night (and since Callahan was hired regarding Cosgrove/Pelini.)

It was also disappointing to have people getting up and leaving the game towards the end of the third quarter.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I have watched the film a couple of times. As the saying goes, it’s not about the Xs and the Os, it’s about the Jimmys and the Joes. The players on the defensive side of the ball really struggled Saturday, to put it nicely. The scheme was fine. They were in position. They simply missed a LOT of tackles. But I still stand behind these guys. It wasn’t lack of effort. It was lack of execution. I like what I’m seeing after the fact. The players aren’t whining. They aren’t blaming anyone. They aren’t making excuses. They’re taking responsibilty and owning up. Bowman (who probably played the best of anyone on D) shed his blackshirt. He says he doesn’t deserve to wear it after such a loss. That’s a stand up guy.

The team is practicing in full pads this week, #1 D against #1 O. Starting spots are up for grabs. Maybe we’ll get to see some of the youngsters get more PT. I think we’ll rebound nicely. We may have to outscore teams more than I’d like this year, but they’ll find a way to win.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Yeah, definitely lack of execution. There were 16 missed tackles on 25 run plays through the first 3 quarters. The “extra” yards on those 16 plays amounted to 200 yards. Execution would have changed the dynamics of the game.

I heard that Bowman came out of the locker room for practice without his blackshirt, then got a red jersey to wear. That is leadership by a captain. Hopefully, the team uses this loss and pulls together. There is a lot of season left, make the best of it.

Go Big Red!

JD

djorg
    Central City, NE

Quote:

I heard that Bowman came out of the locker room for practice without his blackshirt, then got a red jersey to wear. That is leadership by a captain.

A great move by a young man that has paid his dues. But are the rest ready to do the same or just pass the blame?

Good fishin’
    jorg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.