It’s been pretty quiet on here??

• Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I haven’t been on the forum in quite sometime and usually enjoy reading the posts from anglers in Nebraska, but this time there was absolutely nothing new? Nobody fishing or just too good to take time to post? haha

On another note, I’m hoping to get out to Davis Creek shortly, the last time I went out there when they were filling it up I really had a hard time targeting any walleye? The “usual” places I had luck at previous to the raising water level didn’t pan out. I hadn’t ran up to the inlet until the very end of my trip but when I did, there were so many shad up there that I almost thought they were Asian flying carp, they were jumping everywhere! I guess my main question would be,,, what is the best presentation in a situation like that? I imagine the majority of game fish were up on that end of the lake taking advantage of all the baitfish? The problem is, there are so many of them how does a guy compete or present a bait in those circumstances? Fishing for ideas I guess

whitetips2

Quote:

I haven’t been on the forum in quite sometime and usually enjoy reading the posts from anglers in Nebraska, but this time there was absolutely nothing new? Nobody fishing or just too good to take time to post? haha

On another note, I’m hoping to get out to Davis Creek shortly, the last time I went out there when they were filling it up I really had a hard time targeting any walleye? The “usual” places I had luck at previous to the raising water level didn’t pan out. I hadn’t ran up to the inlet until the very end of my trip but when I did, there were so many shad up there that I almost thought they were Asian flying carp, they were jumping everywhere! I guess my main question would be,,, what is the best presentation in a situation like that? I imagine the majority of game fish were up on that end of the lake taking advantage of all the baitfish? The problem is, there are so many of them how does a guy compete or present a bait in those circumstances? Fishing for ideas I guess

Fishing in an abundance of natural prey is one of the most difficult fishing situations. I cannot tell you that I have any secrets or great ideas. I will tell you that when prey is very abundant the fish we are trying to catch tend to be the most selective–they are “zoned-in” on the abundant prey and that is the only thing they may be preying upon. So, the best presentation strategies are usually to try to match the size, shape, maybe color and especially behavior of the natural prey. I try to do all of that but try to make my bait “stand out in the crowd” by maybe offering a splash of color that makes it stand out, or by presenting it in a way that it will be an easier meal than all of the natural prey.

Try those things, but you may find that with the abundance of prey feeding periods are relatively brief. Feeding activity may be intense during those periods, but they may not last long. You may just have to be there at the right time, during one of those brief feeding windows.

Do not know if any of that helps, but it might give you some ideas,

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    Bauer’s Barbs and Backlashes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.