Fish Management Question

• huskerdb
    Kearney, Nebraska

Directing this question towards Daryl as I assume he is the most qualified to answer but anyone with insights please chime in as well.

I tried fishing Kea West sandpit near Kearney for the first time the other day and saw the posting there regarding it being 100% catch and release for all species. I very seldom harvest any of the fish I catch so that restriction doesn’t affect me much but it got my inquisative mind thinking about the whys.

I have no doubt at all there are good reasons for the restriction but I was really curious to know what some of the reasons would be. What exactly are the factors that are considered when making that kind of decision? What makes this lake differnt than say Coot Shallows or some of the other WMA lakes that don’t have this restriction? Thanks in advance for helping satisfy my curiosity.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Great question for Daryl. I too am interested in his response. I’ll let him know he needs to stop by IDO.

foxman79
    Anoka, MN

I don’t have an answer to your question, but instead, I’ll add my own.

There are so many lakes with a stunted bluegill (or other species) populations, it seems we should be prohibiting catch and release.

This pic is from a private lake in Illinois that does just that and the population is anything but stunted. This pic shows all the fish from one outing and the smallest is about 5 in, and there are only a few of those. The majority of the fish are in the 7-8 in range. The biggest at 10 in.

Am I missing something? This policy seems to work pretty well. Why not duplicate it?

whitetips2

Let me ramble a bit. . . .

Anglers come in a variety of sizes, shapes, styles and angling desires. I will be the first to tell you that it is impossible to keep them all happy. Our approach to satisfy the greatest number of anglers is by offering a diversity of fishing opportunities. As a matter of fact, I believe that Nebraska with its diverse geography, climate, flora and fauna is unique in the diversity of angling opportunities we can offer–everything from brook trout to flathead catfish, from several species of sunfish to muskies!

Along those lines we do NOT have to manage every fishery in the state the same. In fact, as a pointy-headed fisheries biologist, I would be the first to argue for the flexibility to manage different bodies of water, different fisheries, differently depending on water quality, water quantity, habitat conditions, fish populations, angling pressure, angler desires, etc., etc., etc.

We have had great success managing a few bodies of water in the state as total catch & release fisheries or on some, total catch & release for select species. That is simply a different management strategy that can provide angling opportunities that anglers otherwise might not have. For example, the total catch & release regulations can and have produced high catch rates and excellent opportunities for catching trophy fish.

I also would be the first to argue that a total catch & release philosophy is NOT the best management strategy for every body of water, every fishery. But, I believe it is an excellent strategy for some bodies of water and is a strategy that has proven to be very successful.

There is not a lot that is “magic” or special about Kea West. That interstate pit is very similar to most other interstate pits–relatively small, relatively shallow, excellent water and habitat conditions, high productivity and healthy fish populations. That could be said for a lot of other interstate pits. We simply wanted to implement the total catch & release strategy on a few more waters and small bodies of water are very susceptible to over-harvest yet capable of producing some excellent fishing if given the chance. An advantage of picking a couple, three interstate lakes for that catch & release management strategy is that there are numerous similar waters in close proximity where folks can go harvest fish if they do not want to fish on a body of water with total catch & release regulations.

Fisheries science is always a blend of fisheries biology, aquatic ecology, limnology, social science and yes, even politics. All of those things and more go into the establishment of management strategies and regulations. Fisheries biologists do not have all the answers and many times we have to be flexible and adaptive. If given the chance, many times we can produce some fantastic fishing opportunities.

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    Bauer’s Barbs and Backlashes

whitetips2

Quote:

I don’t have an answer to your question, but instead, I’ll add my own.

There are so many lakes with a stunted bluegill (or other species) populations, it seems we should be prohibiting catch and release.

This pic is from a private lake in Illinois that does just that and the population is anything but stunted. This pic shows all the fish from one outing and the smallest is about 5 in, and there are only a few of those. The majority of the fish are in the 7-8 in range. The biggest at 10 in.

Am I missing something? This policy seems to work pretty well. Why not duplicate it?

This post deserves a whole separate response. . . .

This may be one of the futile quests of my career as a pointy-headed fisheries biologist, but I ain’t going to quit. There was a time when fisheries biologists told anglers that they needed to harvest a certain number of panfish, especially from small bodies of water, in order to keep those fish from “stunting”.

BALONEY!

Let me tell you why. . . .

Panfish species can reproduce at a very small size and a very young age (i.e. age-1). Panfish species like bluegills can reproduce at a size a lot smaller than anglers typically catch and for sure a lot smaller than anglers want to clean. Therefore, thinning or control of panfish numbers in order to prevent over-populating and reduced growth rates, in other words “stunting”, has to occur when the panfish are relatively small and young. And anglers ain’t going to accomplish that! The key to preventing the over-populating and stunting of panfish populations is a healthy population of predators! In most small bodies of water, the best predator for that job is a healthy population of largemouth bass. If you want excellent panfishing from a small body of water, the most important thing to do is release most, if not all of the largemouth bass that are caught from that body of water.

As a matter of fact, in my career I have seen way more panfish populations suffering from over-harvest by anglers than I have seen larger predator fish populations that were suffering from over-harvest. In many populations panfish never reach large sizes not because their growth rates are slow, but because they go home in the back of someone’s pickup before they have a chance to grow larger. When anglers tell me that a certain panfish population is “stunted”, the first thing I want to know is how they know that? Did they look at the age and growth of those fish? If so, then show me the data. NO, many “stunted” panfish populations do no have slow growth rates, instead they have a lack of older fish.

If angler harvest was necessary to produce big fish, why is it that un-fished, “virgin” fisheries have such great fishing for big fish?

Moreover, in many cases angling harvest actually encourages stunting of panfish populations. Anglers naturally select for the biggest fish in any population and that is especially true in panfish fisheries. Oftentimes the largest fish in a population are some of the fastest-growing fish. If anglers selectively harvest the largest, fastest-growing fish from a population, then the smaller, slowest-growing, more stunted fish are the ones that are left! This especially can have an impact on bluegill populations with their unique spawning biology (if you want to read even more about that, take a few minutes to read this, Sneakers and Guarders ).

I believe selective harvest is the way to go. Panfish are naturally more abundant and are the species that can withstand some harvest. Not only that, they are also some of the best fish on the table. But even with panfish fisheries anglers should be very much aware of the fact that large panfish are always less abundant, may be some of the fastest-growing and best genetic stock in that population, and therefore should be released! Harvest enough small and medium-size panfish for a meal of fresh fish, absolutely, but snap a couple of pictures and release the big ones!

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    Bauer’s Barbs and Backlashes

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Thanks for your time Daryl. It’s great to have you available for questions like these. Hope your summer has been great.

foxman79
    Anoka, MN

Wow! I really appreciate such a thorough response. Of course it makes sense when you explain it that way.
    Thanks!

huskerdb
    Kearney, Nebraska

Thanks for the answers Daryl. If I understand your answer correctly its not that this lake is different and has needs that would require it to be managed differently but the fact that it is similar to lots of other places in the area makes it a good candidate to be used for this purpose.

I knew there were sound reasons but, I always enjoy learning and understanding the whys that go into managing and preserving our outdoor opportunites. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

I have fished this location the last two weekends with my two boys (4 and 8)and they have had a blast reeling in some nice sized bluegill as well as few crappie and bass.(See pics) Count this family among those who appreciate the opportunities you help provide.

whitetips2

Quote:

Thanks for your time Daryl. It’s great to have you available for questions like these. Hope your summer has been great.

Glad to do it!

My summer has been great but have not been catching nearly enough fish! (of course I would always tell you that ).

Later,

Daryl B.

whitetips2

Quote:

Thanks for the answers Daryl. If I understand your answer correctly its not that this lake is different and has needs that would require it to be managed differently but the fact that it is similar to lots of other places in the area makes it a good candidate to be used for this purpose.

I knew there were sound reasons but, I always enjoy learning and understanding the whys that go into managing and preserving our outdoor opportunites. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

I have fished this location the last two weekends with my two boys (4 and 8)and they have had a blast reeling in some nice sized bluegill as well as few crappie and bass.(See pics) Count this family among those who appreciate the opportunities you help provide.

Exactly!

And the smiles on the faces of those boys makes it all worthwhile! Thank you for taking them fishing!

Daryl B.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.