Need some help bending sheet aluminum

• outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I had a grand idea and figured out that 1/8 inch aluminum is tough to bend by hand.

It is about 40 inches wide and I need to simple bends. I went to a shop near by and they wanted $150 to make the two bends. I live in Stillwater and wondering if anyone could help me out. I am willing to pay just thought 150 was out there.

Just figured I would throw it out here.
    Thanks

404 ERROR
    MN

If it is a straight bend without cutting, you can fab up a jig on a workbench with clamps, 2×4’s or angle iron and possibly some plywood. It obviously wont be as pretty or neat as a shop on a bender, but it would work. I have bent 12ga steel in my shop with this method.

Tough to describe how it works, but i’ll try.

Lay the sheet on the bench and overhang where you want the bend. Put a 2×4 or angle iron on the edge of the table and clamp it down TIGHT. From there, take your thick sheet of plywood and lay it over the aluminum and butt it up to the 2×4 with a slight gap between. Clamp the plywood down in multiple spots on the sheet. Slowly begin bending, keeping an eye on the bend. Some types of aluminum, specially when thin, can rip at the bend…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Since your “grand idea” is costing less then a “grand” let the shop bend it. grin

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Love it Dutchboy!

Merican That is what I thought I could do. I have done it easily on narrower bends. I had a one inch thick steel bar that I used and I was shocked by how strong the 1/8 inch is.

It needs to be nice so I stopped before I wrecked the sheet. I could use a tractor and with a loader to bend it but I want a clean bend.

If I can’t get someone to bend it I’ll put it in my stock pile and buy the finished material for still less than a grand. Dutchboy that was good.

David Blais

You could try calling around more, trailer fab shops, race car fabricators, use that thin aluminum for the body of the car.. If you Google aluminum sheeting, you may find someone near by.

munchy
    NULL

Check with local HVAC shops. Right now a few are very slow, so they may be able to take care of you.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

How about a nearby school?

gary d
    cordova,il

You can bend some aluminum, than there is some aluminum that will not bend, but just crack. If you bend it yourself be careful. Good luck on your venture!!

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

5052 aluminum will bend much easier then 6061 series. Press break bending is best 15 degrees at a time until your proper angle is achieved.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hvac shops would be the first place id call, their setup to fab thickness like that as they have smaller brake presses. A trailer fab shop like David said is also another good idea, if not ask if they know anyone. A small steel weld and fab shop would be another bet, not the bigger shops. What I would do is take the aluminum too them and just drop in, they might have the time to do it right then especially if they have a 90 degree die with a shallow radius already in their press. Here in town Id look at about the 25 to 50 dollar mark on the high side, but that’s here. Have your marks all ready to go so all they have to do is put in the brake and bend it to a 90, it shouldn’t take more then 15 minutes, I used to weld for a living in shops like that, smaller fab shops is what you want.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.