Need help identifying my prop, 2003 Mercury 125hp.

• Charles

Like the title states I am looking for some help identifying my prop I have, I ding the crap out of this one and I need to get a new one. I am not sure if I should get the same prop or a different pitch. The motor is right around 5800 RPM give or take a few.

Boat – 2003 Crestliner fishhawk 1750
    Motor – 2003 Mercury 125hp 2+2

This is all the writing I can find on the current prop and it is a 3 bladed.
    2055 h1
    13 1/4x

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

New prop or same prop? I guess the answer to this is how was the performance on the one you had? When it comes to prop performance I tend to lean more towards a good hole shot than I do top end speed. Being able to get on plane quicker makes things much safer. Nothing worse than plowing down the lake 100 yards or more before being able to see what in front of you. Most often the prop a motor comes with is one that has been tested to work well with the motor. Do you know if the prop you damaged is the original one on the motor? A 13.25 diam. Sounds correct for a 125. Now you just need to find out the pitch. Are you not able to read the number after the 13.25x? If I had to guess it’s probably a 19 but could also be a 17. Playing around with props to get peak performance can be a costly and time consuming process.
    Great boat by the way. I have a 2002 fishhawk 1850 with a 150 Johnson. My next and possibly final boat is going to probably be a 1750 Fishhawk with a 115 four stroke. About the only thing I don’t like about my current Fishhawk is it won’t slow down enough to troll with and the carbed motor eats way to much gas. The 115 Four stroke should solve both problems.
    Good luck on your search for a new prop for you motor

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

If the 5800 rpm is what you are achieving with the old prop, you pretty much have the right prop. Unlike fishthumper, I prefer a little more top end. I’m not pulling skiers out of the water and usually do slow hole shots to reduce stress on the motor. Take your prop to an actual prop shop and not only will they be able to tell you what you have but you might be surprised that they can fix your prop for a very reasonable amount. Should you want a new prop, a good back up prop isn’t a bad thing either.

Charles

Yeah no numbers after the X on it all wore off.

Looking to get a different one depending on the pitch, I would like to carry a spare since I fish in some questionable waters in the back country lol.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Yeah no numbers after the X on it all wore off.

Looking to get a different one depending on the pitch, I would like to carry a spare since I fish in some questionable waters in the back country lol.

A good prop shop should be able to measure the pitch and let you know what it is. Assuming there is enough of it left to measure. They should also be able to give you a few ideas of what to try depending on what you want the new prop to do that the old one did not. If it is a alum. prop and they can repair it I’d have them do it and keep it as your spare – They can normally repair one for about 1/2 the cost of a new one. If you tend to damage props often I’d stick with a Alum. one. A shinny stainless prop is nice but they are more costly to have repaired and they don’t give near as much when you hit something – This often leads to more costly damage to the motor as well.

Charles

I have a few shops up in brained I am going to bring it in and get it measured and get it repaired for a spare. I figure a stainless unless I get a used one not going to really benefit that much maybe gain 2-4 mph.

Just so strange there isn’t any good markings on lol.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

You’ve taken it off the motor? Some times it is stamped on the outside end of the hub and some times on the inside end of the hub.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

If I had to guess, I’d think it’s probably a black max 19 pitch. That’s the prop the 115-125s seemed to have come with most often.

Charles

You’ve taken it off the motor? Some times it is stamped on the outside end of the hub and some times on the inside end of the hub.

Yup sitting on my desk, posted what I could find for numbers.

Yeah I was thinking it was a black max, just not sure on the 17 or 19 pitch.

Charles

Talked prop shop and we found it to be a 17 pitch so I am having them rebuild it and then look for a 19p also.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.