Need battery recommendations

• jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Just got back from Lake Erie and my starting battery is not sufficient. Trolling for 10 hours with two Garmins and both livewell pump/aerators going my starting battery would go dead in late afternoon. Luckily I had the jump pack with and that saved us twice. Thinking of going to a Lithium. Should I go 100 or 125 ah?

tim hurley

Good to have a jump pack, everyone should have one IMO

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Picking up a new rig and listening to y’all I ordered a
    NOCO Boost X GBX155 4250A

PmB

125ah ionic

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Bear in mind your current charger may not be suitable for a lithium battery.

PmB

The motors alternator should work fine for charging if it’s just starting/electronics. Definitely check w manufacturer

mojogunter

I was told by a couple people that you can’t use a lithium battery for a starting battery because the alternator won’t charge it. It may have been bad info though. If it is true and you can’t use a lithium for a starting battery, keep your starting battery, and add a lithium battery for your electronics. The only thing that held me back from adding a lithium for my electronics was I was told I should run a 160ah to make sure it didn’t go dead running two 12″ and a 10″ screen with 360 and livescope for 10-12 hours. A 160ah battery is really spendy, and I already shelled out a bunch for trolling motor batteries, so it will have to wait.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Right on the ionic website it says the 125 ah will start up to the 250 hp

This battery can be used as starter battery for all outboard motors between 150 to 250hp and is fully compatible with Mercury and other leading brands

PmB

I use mine to start a 90hp suzuki and run 2 10″ garmins w livescope. Never had an issue and battery stays close to fully charged. I do occasionally hook up a portable charger to top it off

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I did not do this research a friend did that just bought a lithium also for this main battery. He looked into it after I mentioned hearing something about it being an issue. He said what he found is that they are worried the motor could charge it to fast and cause a runaway cell that could melt the battery causing issues. Do you own research.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.