Need Advice – Aug/Sept Back-Up Fishing Trip

• bnbblake

Due to the Canada border possibly remaining closed for some time, we are looking for a place in Minnesota for late August / early September. We like to fish for smallmouth, pike, and walleyes in that order and am considering Rainy. Would like to go to a lodge where the owner can give us very good fishing advice since we would be rookies on a new body of water. I do have my own boat. All suggestions would be appreciated.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I would recommend staying at the Thunderbird Lodge for accommodations (its the only place I have stayed at up there so far), I go there in early October each year for the past 6 or 7. For info, I would recommend the Rainy Lake One Stop gas and bait for info on fishing reports (you pass it on the way to the Thunderbird)

Our Canada trip got canceled as well, so we are going to Rainy in early August for a week since we know the lake some already. The Thunderbird was booked for early August as of a month ago (at least the cabins were all booked) so we are staying in a cabin at Sha Sha Resort. We are going back in early October as well.

If you have a Humminbird graph in your boat, I highly recommend getting the Lakemaster chip, there are lots of rocks that jump out in front of you on Rainy.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Don’t bother with Rainy, go to Kabetogema.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

bow
    Sure hope you know this poster doah

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I would vote for Rainy and the Thunderbird as well.
    Could always houseboat it and go through the narrows and fish those reefs.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I know that I’m probably only wishful thinking, but I’m still holding out hope that the border is back open by Mid Sept. for our annual fall Canada Trip. We still have 3 more resets. July, Aug, and Sept. It sounds like their Government is starting to receive some pressure from some citizens to start a plan for reopening. For us I don’t think there is a location in the US that would work as a backup. The guy I go with lives for BIG PIKE and #’s of them. I doubt there is anyplace within the US that would satisfy him. Over the many years ( 20+ ) that he’s been going to Canada in the fall, I would guess his average trip is at least 40 fish over 40” each trip. Hard to find that kind of fishing anyplace here in the US.

FryDog62

A few US friends that are property owners in Canada are being told unofficially to anticipate that the travel restriction won’t be lifted until the 3rd week of Sept.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

By far Thunderbird Lodge is the best U.S. resort on Rainy Lake. Above average accommodations with a great restaurant and bar with outdoor seating.

The fishing is good on U.S. side but not as good as the Canadian side. Great local guides with awesome scenery. I have fished Kab a number of times it is also good for slot size fish not so good for eaters. Prices for lodging is a little less on Kab.

Wayne

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A few US friends that are property owners in Canada are being told unofficially to anticipate that the travel restriction won’t be lifted until the 3rd week of Sept.

Not Idea, but I’d be fine if the restrictions were lifted in Sept. If I’m not mistaken they are looking at it a month at a time. I believe the next date to look at it will be on the 21st Of July – I don’t expect any changes at that time but was hoping something positive would happen for Aug. or Sept. at the latest. Normally go the 1st or 2nd week in Sept. but would still be fine with Mid. Sept. It may be a little cooler but you never know depending on the fall weather.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.