Naughty knots

• Fishbonker

I started ice fishing late last winter. I struggle tying knots in fishing line in general but 4lb test is nearly impossible for me. Not only do I lack the manual dexterity to get the knots tied in that small line size I also lack depth perception due to low vision in one eye. Last year I had to have my wife tie my knots at home before I went out which worked until the line would break, then I’d be screwed.

So my question is this: Does anyone have any suggestions, tip, tricks or tools for tying knots in limp small diameter ice fishing line? Or maybe a line that is easier to see and tie?

I’ve thought about getting some 10x magnifiers, that will help with seeing it but maybe not with the depth perception.

In the summer I use no less than a stiff 8 pound mono and I do OK but I still struggle at times.

Thanks

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Try learning the Palomar knot.
    Use a sewing needle threader tool to aid getting the line through the eyelet.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Run a stronger main line with a snap on the end.
    Have several leaders prepared with either loop knots or swivels to connect to the main line snap. On the lure side of the leader use a fas snap.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

^^^ this even if you don’t go stronger use whatever line you want then make a short flouro leader and a quick snap.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I have a couple of pair of clip on magnifiers, I use them both for fly tying and for tying small flies onto fine tippet (6X is small!). That helps me quite a bit.

SR

B-man

The Palomar is a great knot, but getting the doubled over line through a tiny jig can be tough without a tool, and it’s not the easiest to get a bait covered in trebles through the loop without it catching at times.

It also has it’s limitations because whatever you’re tying on has to fit through the loop (so it doesn’t work for tying on a swivel and adding a leader, tying onto a spool, tying two lines together, etc)

My favorite is a uni knot. It’s super easy, a fairly strong knot and works in a ton of applications.

Once the line is through the eye of the hook, I can literally tie a bait on with 8-9 wraps blindfolded in 10 seconds with 2 pound line. I use my tongue as a third hand to wrap the line around itself.

Even when your fingers are cold and not working the best, your tongue isn’t affectedwaytogo

Might sound silly, but it’s the honest truth. I don’t look at the line at all to tie it, it’s all by feel.

critter 1

Look up the Typro tool. I have one and love it. Works great for small jigs.

Ripjiggen

Look up the Typro tool. I have one and love it. Works great for small jigs.

Just glancing at this on the internet looks like it could be exactly what he needs.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

There was a video posted not too long ago about the best ice fishing knot…😂

Fishbonker

Thanks for all the replies.

I think perhaps a combination of the Tyepro ice tool and the pre tied lures with a swivel on one end to connect into a snap on the main line is the way to go.

I watched the video linked above with superglue on floss to hold plastics. I have heard of brushing superglue on a knot for insurance against poor knot tying skills. Any opinions? Well, besides the obvious “learn how to tie the knot correctly”.

Thanks again.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I think perhaps a combination of the Tyepro ice tool and the pre tied lures with a swivel on one end to connect into a snap on the main line is the way to go.

I did look up the Tyepro tool as I could use a little help myself, mostly with thread like line tying to tiny tungsten panfish jigs.

Unfortunately the Tyepro had poor reviews (Amazon) so I’m not sure.

I don’t have much problem with much else other than tying the tiny jigs. I usually would tie them on a few rods in advance before leaving home and go with that. I rarely had a problem with bite-offs or line breaking while panfishing so I never had to retie anything out on the ice. I was just limited to what I pre-tied which usually worked anyway.

I do like the idea of tying an assortment in advance on leaders and then using a small snap to have the ability to switch things up on the ice if I want.

WSAF
    Western WI

I’ve never thought about pre-tying leaders. That’s a really good idea in cooler weather.

Try learning the Palomar knot.
    Use a sewing needle threader tool to aid getting the line through the eyelet.

Right or wrong, with a Palomar knot on a smaller eyelet, lighter line, I run the line through the eye and then back through again to form the loop to start the knot. It works for me and no tool needed.

iowa_josh

Do you have a forceps? Holding those tiny jigs with fat, cold fingers would not work well for me. Maybe you could light the line up with a blacklight if you are in a tent.

Tinker
    Iron Range

I have a terrible time tying knots with my numb arthritic fingers. I agree the Palomar knot is a good way to go. I recently bought a Koehler Cinch knot tool. Absolutely love it . There is a great tutorial on YouTube . I think the moderator’s name is Skip. He goes thru the instruction booklet showing all the knots you can tie. Check it out.

MnPat1

Bring a friend with who can see. I have many friends who I tie knots for. I give them 30 seconds before intervening. I have learned to tie the uni knot without looking but I still have great eye sight. I would rather get them back fishing instead of watching them struggle.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

I use a black background easier to see light line.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.