Nasty note for leaving a dog in the truck

• stevenoak

With the weather cooling off. Soon I’ll be taking the dog with me again in the truck. Seems like there is a new mission for some people to police dogs in vehicles. Don’t get me wrong, you should be locked in a sweat lodge for leaving a dog in a hot vehicle. I don’t!!
    Couple years ago, my wife and I took a short road trip in April. It was like 45 or 50 degrees out. We stopped 45 minutes to eat lunch. When we came out, I had a note on my windshield of what a A-Hole I was leaving my dogs in the truck. I was parked against a 3′ snowbank, it was sunny and probably 65 degrees in the truck. Hell on the last stop I left my wife in the truck, and she didn’t complain. My guess it was someone in the store with their dog with the emotional support vest on. Or the crazy cat lady with 125 cats in her living room at home, that have never seen a vet or proper meal. Sure a lot of you have or have had dogs that would run thru fire, at the words go for a ride, load up, or get on. I think it’s great when someone stands up for a mistreated critter. I will do it in a heartbeat. But it seems there are those that have made it their lifes mission to be a hero. When there really is no problem. Anyone else have this happen to them?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

When there really is no problem. Anyone else have this happen to them?

This problem does seem to occur when the weather begins to warm up, both with kids and pets. 45 degrees outside and 65 in a truck do not seem like it would be an issue to me. I normally do not leave my dog in my truck for more than 15 minutes, ever. My personal limit for temperature is about 50 degrees. And she always rides in a travel kennel anyways, so its not like people know she’s there.

People need to realize that even 70 degrees outside in the direct sunlight is going to get toasty inside a vehicle really quickly. Those things turn into an oven in the sunshine. Won’t be long until the inside of a vehicle is approaching 90 degrees.

I believe that each state is different on this approach too. Some states actually allow authorities to break windows when they feel the child or pet is in danger.

stevenoak

When it’s even slightly warm, I will only park if there is 100% shade, with windows down a ways. I also have started leaving a 10″ round thermometer in the truck so someone can see the exact temp in the truck. I never leave my dogs where they are even slightly uncomfortable.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I take my dogs with me to the cabin every other weekend and I stop to eat on the way up there. I most always leave the vehicle running with either the heat on or the air conditioning on

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I take my dogs with me to the cabin every other weekend and I stop to eat on the way up there. I most always leave the vehicle running with either the heat on or the air conditioning on

Careful you may get a note for killing the environment, lol

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

If it’s below about 65 and I can find a shady spot, I will leave mine in the truck for a while with the windows down. If it’s warmer or I have to park in the sun, I will typically just run the AC with the remote starter.

People do get quite sensitive, though there are bad eggs out there. I’ve had people comment about walking my dog when it’s 90+ or -10 degrees. I know my dog. He would rather be out on a walk than in the house.

Reef W

Haven’t gotten a note yet but anything longer than 10 or 15 minutes I usually put them in kennels in the back no matter what time of year it is. I don’t care if I did get a note but am worried about someone breaking a window because one of the dogs gets really excited about stops and will sit with his face against the window panting like he’s dying no matter what the temperature is.

404 ERROR
    MN

Do it all the time. No matter the season, I either keep it running (locked) or hit the remote start if it’s going to be under 15 minutes. My pup loves sitting in the front seat watching people…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

A Man and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: “You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?”

So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: “See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides.”

So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn’t gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: “Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along.”

Well, the Man didn’t know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said: “Aren’t you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey of yours and your hulking son?”

The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey’s feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.

“That will teach you,” said an old man who had followed them: “Please all, and you will please none.”

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Good one BK. I have heard it before, but it has been a long time.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I do what I want. My dogs never suffer. Would love to catch the karen putting a note on my car for that.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Someone told me this about leaving a pet or child in a car, and I think its pretty good: if you can’t tolerate being in there, you shouldn’t put a pet or child in there either.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Lock your dog and your wife in a hot car and when you return see which one is happy to see you.

MX1825

Several years ago I got note attached to the truck. What a terrible pet owner I was. Truck was running, AC on, a bowl of water on the floor, and the dog sleeping in the seat.
    Yep strictly an abused dog. doah

Cripes I tell everyone when I die I want to come back as a dog with owners like the wife and I. bow

lindyrig79

Someone told me this about leaving a pet or child in a car, and I think its pretty good: if you can’t tolerate being in there, you shouldn’t put a pet or child in there either.

You needed to be told this? About as common sense as it gets.

CaptainMusky

Lock your dog and your wife in a hot car and when you return see which one is happy to see you.

Ha that is classic.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

No, I didn’t need to be told this. I simply heard someone say it and thought it made good sense. Apparently it doesn’t to a lot of people though because we hear about kids and pets roasting away in the car all the time.

LabDaddy1

Ha my dad ran into the store for 5 minutes the other day when it was in the 70’s and left the windows cracked for the dog. When he got out some lady was on the phone with the police already reading his plate number to them. I get it, but some common sense is also in order… Busy-bodies man

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I was at the vet 2 weeks ago with both dogs at 8:30 in the morning on a cooler day. Brought the one dog in first and then switched them for the second appointment. As I was paying my bill, some “Karen” in the lobby asked me if I had the truck outside with the dog in it? I said, “Yes” and she said she was concerned as she walked by me and did the “touch the shoulder” thing. Ish!!
    Wasn’t even that warm in the truck when I opened it. All 4 windows were down as far as the could go without someone reaching in to open it. Some people’s moms.

lindyrig79

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

No, I didn’t need to be told this. I simply heard someone say it and thought it made good sense. Apparently it doesn’t to a lot of people though because we hear about kids and pets roasting away in the car all the time.

Not trying to take a shot at you. Just seems so painfully obvious it comes across as bizarre.

Coletrain27

I bet the person that left the note had blue or pink hair

Mike m

My dogs go with me most places . If they need to be left in there for any length of time I leave the truck running with heat or ac on .

stevenoak

My dog travels 6 to 8,000 miles a year with us. If it’s warm at all we hit a drive thru or have a cooler with us and hit the shady corner of the parking lot or a park. It just ticked me off the day I got the note it was probably 65 degrees in the truck. 5 degrees from the temperature in our house.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.